Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Winter wheels and tires :) :)

Post Thanks / Like

Winter wheels and tires :) :)

I built my car with the intention of driving the wheels off of it. And yes, I am thinking of getting a set of steel wheels and snow tires. Has anyone else done something this insane? If so, any pointers on wheel and tire size/specs?

On a similar note I am looking to find really warm gear to go along with this. Any pointers on hats/gloves/jackets that would keep me toasty would be very welcome. I have heated seats and and a heater, but won't have a soft top for a while because of the $.
    5.0 HO from a '93 Mustang, SVE heads, Trickflow stage 1 cam, Trickflow Street Burner intake manifold, T-5 w/mid shift, IRS
    Delivery 9-10-16, First Start 12-28-16, First Go-Kart 2-18-17
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8951-Build

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I can't help you with snow tires, but being an avid motorcycle enthusiast helps when riding when the mercury dips a bit.
    Look at Motor Cycle Touring Gear and you can even find some stuff that is even heated.
    Good gloves, a balaclava and full face helmet and you'll be good down to the 30's F.

https://www.jpcycles.com/search/sear...274435&Ntk=All
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-11-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    I can't help you with snow tires, but being an avid motorcycle enthusiast helps when riding when the mercury dips a bit.
    Look at Motor Cycle Touring Gear and you can even find some stuff that is even heated.
    Good gloves, a balaclava and full face helmet and you'll be good down to the 30's F.

https://www.jpcycles.com/search/sear...274435&Ntk=All
    Awesome! I will check that out. Do you have any personal favorites?
    5.0 HO from a '93 Mustang, SVE heads, Trickflow stage 1 cam, Trickflow Street Burner intake manifold, T-5 w/mid shift, IRS
    Delivery 9-10-16, First Start 12-28-16, First Go-Kart 2-18-17
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8951-Build

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Second what GDG suggested -- cold weather biker gear works great in the cold. I tried riding in the snow once and only once. When I was younger nothing seemed like a bad idea the first go-round.

Now as for driving in the snow, we do that a lot up here this time of year. My suggestion on snow tires is BFG Mud Terrain in the biggest size that will fit YOUR 4X4 TRUCK! Driving a light-weight Tupperwear bodied sled in the snow with lot's of power to the rear tires only is almost as crazy as riding a motorcycle in the snow without training wheels. Well at least the plastic body won't rot away from the road salt.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on the 4X4. On the tires don't just think about mudders. Many big lug tire are "snow rated" have BF Goodrich All Terrain M+S tires on my Ranger4X4. The COBRA is pretty much a no-go in the snow unless the street looks like this.

Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a heated vest at https://www.thewarmingstore.com/

Did you finish the car? Haven't seen mu8ch of you around here lately. What happened to all the videos? They seemed to stop.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Lahrs37,

Years ago a Superformance owner in upstate NY drove his car year around for a few years. Lots of snow. Not sure what he did for tires but he had a hardtop if I remember correctly. He didn't die or crash which in the big picture is a major accomplishment.

If I was motivated to drive winters in Michigan I'd look for Mustang wheels sized about 17 x 8 or so and then look at snowtires in a 225 width and a profile that gave the right height. I'd guess that a 225/50 may be close. I'd run the same snowtires and size for both front and back. I run 225/45-17s snows on my Audi and think the 45s might be a bit short, I WILL NOT drive summer tires in the snow. Raise the ride height an inch or so to help maneuver through the ruts and piles.

A heater, top & seat heaters would be nice. You'll still need proper clothing and gloves.

I drove my Superformance on lovely sunny blue sky day in February of '05. Roads were mostly clear and I was running the old Yokohama 15" Avids. The tires worked fairly well but I didn't push it at all. Wasn't until I watched the news that evening that I found out the max temp for the day was 4F, it was cold and I'm not quite smart enough to put the top on. Yup, I'd do it again if I wasn't always on summer performance tires, you know, the ones that say to not run under 55F. Trust me I have experience with the tires.

BUT, and that's a big but. It's not that it can't be done but you're fighting a bunch of things that will be difficult to control. The 90" wheelbase snaps quickly under ideal conditions, snow is not ideal. Braking will be an exercise of skill, control and advanced planning; we are all so accustomed to ABS that being without will be a challenge. The wipers barely push a sprinkle of water, snow slush from the first truck that passes you or you try to pass may cause sudden visibility issues.

Then again, I commend you for your spirit of adventure.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're going down this path, I'd recommend you to get a good set of designated winter tires. E.g. studded or high-friction tires from Nokian Tires. It's a Finnish company and they know snow and ice. Incredible difference from 'regular' snow tires.

EDIT: Run the 'thinnest' tires possible to increase ground pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a heated motorcycle liner wired into the car wiring system. I've found "layers" of clothing is best. My last layer is a Helly Hanson gortex shell. It cuts the wind and great if you get caught in a sudden downpore. Its been worn hiking in the Rockies on more than one occasion. Gloves and a hat are a must