FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: front end lift

Post Thanks / Like

front end lift

I'm aware of one solution for ride height clearance on the front end, Ramlift Pro, but has anyone else used a different solution? just wondering if there is an alternative to the $1,900 solution.

Thanks
    Butch

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that I am considering (in addition to a different splitter for the track) is to keep the suspension where it is and create a subframe for the front bodywork. Obviously this would not affect your chassis, but the typical concern is going to be the front fascia/splitter. This would be easy to raise/lower with actuators for going over speed bumps, etc, without screwing with the suspension. You could have a 'Street height' and 'Track height' setting. Only thing to figure out would be a flexible ducting between the fascia and radiator, although a lot of build I see don't even duct the radiator (I definitely will).
    What do you think of my idea?
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    There have been two I know of that developed different lift mechanisms. JCHracer (here)GTM_20100928003.jpggtm_lf.jpgGTM_20111128014.jpg & Mikespms (FFCars)mikespms front lift system 5.jpgmike spms lift 1.jpg. JCHRacer fabbed up a pivot system with an air setup to lift the front end. LOTS OF MODIFICATION with this setup, he even built tubular control arms and re-designed the front upper control arm mounts. Mikespms made a deal that bolts on the car and you mount the top of the shock to it. It slides up and down in fabbed brackets with air power. Works, but IMO looks like A$$ when you lift the hood, and it wasn't cheap either. The Ramlift is proven, reliable, and you almost don't see it at all. It's not cheap but well worth it to me.ramlift 1.jpgRAMLIFT PRO KIT STIG 1.jpg
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 12-11-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    One thing that I am considering (in addition to a different splitter for the track) is to keep the suspension where it is and create a subframe for the front bodywork.
    What do you think of my idea?
    I thought about that as well but after looking at the work and complexity involved the Ramlift started looking like more and more of a bargain. Plus, no one can ever take a pic of my car with it's "nose broken" when I'm pulling in somewhere. It would probably look goofy and I can hear someone, somewhere saying "Why didn't he just buy the Ramlift?, Hey dude you know they make a lift kit for that."

Post Thanks / Like
    Just went to the ramlift site, it does look like a pretty simple option. Do they only recommend driving at the lowered height?
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably doesn't matter because I don't think MikesPMS makes the parts anymore, but his lift system operates flawlessly. Gives me about 2.5" of lift up front. FWIW, his F and R sway bar mounts and seatbelt tensioner mounts (so they work properly) are similarly well thought out.

If I recall correctly, Stig had to make significant modifications to his RamLift Pro to get it to work in the GTM. Still, may be the only choice out there now.

-Michael
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SOLD JUNE 2018 - GTM #327, LS3, G50/20, Kooks, AC, Ron's Tanks, Crash's 4-port HCV, Shane's Bolts & Plenum & etc., plus a lot of other stuff. Finished November 2013.

Not-up-to-date Build Site: http://rumrunnergtm.weebly.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post

If I recall correctly, Stig had to make significant modifications to his RamLift Pro to get it to work in the GTM. Still, may be the only choice out there now.

-Michael
    The collars needed to be machined 1/16" to clear the stock Konis, they did it for him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    The collars needed to be machined 1/16" to clear the stock Konis, they did it for him.
    The collars for my lifts did have to be machined in order to fit over my Koni shocks. However, if you have a pair of calipers and can get an accurate measurement of your shock diameter, Simon will machine them for you when you place your order. I replaced my Koni shocks with a set of Genesis race shocks, and they fit fine as well.

www.ramliftpro.com Simon Hameka

Hope this helps.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    This seems like a no-brainer to add to my GTM. I know I've got a steep driveway, and my office has speedbumps.

Stig - how has it worked out? Would you recommend it to others?

Post Thanks / Like
    May also want to consider the iLIFT system developed by Chris Wilson at Science of Speed, Chandler, AZ. This is an NSX / S2000 shop that I have used for many years for mechanical work on my
    NSX's. Chris contacted me a few months ago to see if he could measure my GTM for an iLIFT application. This is a new product which I am just learning about, but I can tell you that I have been very happy with the parts that I have purchased from SOS, including an SOS clutch & SOS Coil-overs.

I would appreciate any feedback that would help me determine the most reliable, simple and cost effective solution for the long nose and low profile of the GTM.

Thanks,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    There have been two I know of that developed different lift mechanisms. JCHracer (here)GTM_20100928003.jpggtm_lf.jpgGTM_20111128014.jpg & Mikespms (FFCars)mikespms front lift system 5.jpgmike spms lift 1.jpg. JCHRacer fabbed up a pivot system with an air setup to lift the front end. LOTS OF MODIFICATION with this setup, he even built tubular control arms and re-designed the front upper control arm mounts. Mikespms made a deal that bolts on the car and you mount the top of the shock to it. It slides up and down in fabbed brackets with air power. Works, but IMO looks like A$$ when you lift the hood, and it wasn't cheap either. The Ramlift is proven, reliable, and you almost don't see it at all. It's not cheap but well worth it to me.ramlift 1.jpgRAMLIFT PRO KIT STIG 1.jpg
    you must drive your GTM with the hood up so people can see the top of the coilovers.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .