Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ceramic paint coating

Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic paint coating

Anyone done it?
    I met with a local detailer today and am going to have it done next week with Opti Coat Pro. Not cheap but I have been reading about it a while and am excited to do it. He will coat the car, wheels and all the chrome parts.
    Only question the detailer had was about coating the side pipes. The product is heat rated but he has never done exhaust pipes. He is going to research it with the manufacturer before the car comes in. Has anyone had their side pipes coated with this stuff?

Please be aware this is a ceramic paint coating product(think super duper car wax) not to be confused with the ceramic coating I already have the side pipes done it. Sort of confusing since they are both called the same thing but are completely different things.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never heard of this. I just did some reading on it. It is intriguing. I'm interested in hearing about your results.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto - that...very eager to hear more about it.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked into this, and am still considering it. Here's what I found. It is excellent scratch protection, but does not add any significant protection against chips. If your car is outside in the elements, especially if you tend to get a lot of pigeon poop on your car, this is your stuff. If your main concern is rock chip protection, walk on by. It does not make the paint any more hard or durable. Also, once it is applied, it makes it close to impossible to buff out scratches that do occur, and they still can. You also have to apply it again every couple of years or so. It looses its effectiveness. Perhaps that is a bigger problem in the scorching heat of Arizona than in other areas. Not sure on that. It is a really great process to make the car look great, but understand its limitations. I, too, will be watching this thread to see how you like it once it is done, and after a few months to see if it stands up well. Thanks for blazing this trail!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    I looked into this, and am still considering it. Here's what I found. It is excellent scratch protection, but does not add any significant protection against chips. If your car is outside in the elements, especially if you tend to get a lot of pigeon poop on your car, this is your stuff. If your main concern is rock chip protection, walk on by. It does not make the paint any more hard or durable. Also, once it is applied, it makes it close to impossible to buff out scratches that do occur, and they still can. You also have to apply it again every couple of years or so. It looses its effectiveness. Perhaps that is a bigger problem in the scorching heat of Arizona than in other areas. Not sure on that. It is a really great process to make the car look great, but understand its limitations. I, too, will be watching this thread to see how you like it once it is done, and after a few months to see if it stands up well. Thanks for blazing this trail!!
    Yes scratches can still occur, hopefully they would be light scratches in the coating and not the actual cars finish.
    The guys on my other car forum for the car I have on order are all about this stuff. I believe in a garage kept car that essentially never sits out in the elements or is exposed to bad weather while driven I can expect a much longer duration on the first application than I could on a daily driver. The technology on this stuff has made pretty rapid improvements the last couple years apparently. The detailer indicated one product came with a 5 year warranty and the other a 7. After discussing with him how I use the car he indicated the 5 year (cheaper of the two) would certainly be good enough for my purposes. He basically said it will last forever. I asked why only a five year warranty then and he said the manufacturer has to put some sort of limit on it to protect themselves. That makes sense. I expect to get 10 years out of it anyways. Who knows if I will even have the car that long.
    Prior to applying the protection he will be doing a stage 1 paint correction to correct any swirls or any other minimal blemishes in the paint. Then he will apply the coating after that. Once applied the car supposedly stays looking very clean because lots less can stick to the car and it is also supposedly very easy to clean and keep shinny. I guess I will find out. Everyone I have talked to that has it loves it.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Cobra Doc
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are many different iterations of these ceramic coatings. As mentioned, there are different year-warranty. I have this done on my daily driver (2016 Golf R) and completely love it. It does not prevent rock chips, but does protect the paint from contamination otherwise. My car is currently covered in snow and road-salt debris. All I have to do is hose it off with my power washer and two-bucket wash and it comes out smooth and looking like it did from the detail shop. Next time I get a new car, I'd do the clear film applied to the front of the car which protects from rock chips, and then ceramic the rest of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had ceramic coating applied to my daily driver and weekend car. It beads like crazy, and gives a deeper quality to the paint because of the high gloss shine. It does cause issues if any paint correction is needed after the coating has been applied. The panel needs to be stripped of the coating to allow anything to adhere, otherwise it will "fisheye". It definitely doesn't prevent chips. Next time I will do 3m where needed and then ceramic coating on top of the 3m along with the rest of the car. Paint correction was part of the process. The paint never looked better. The only problem is that once my paint looked so good, I wouldn't let anyone else clean my cars. 2 bucket/2 microber mitt technique. After 2 years, I have little to no scratches or etching. The glossy reflection looks great still. I was not staisfied with ceramic coating on the wheels. They beaded well, but it did not prevent the adherence of brake dust, nor did it significantly improve wheel washability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dropped mine off today and will pick up tomorrow. Will report back. Honestly for the use my car gets and the fact that it is always stored indoors and never sees any moisture this is probably overkill. I have a new car on order than I am having clear protective film applied to and then am considering ceramic coating over the film so mainly I wanted to try it out on the Cobra first. Never heard anyone that has it not be pleased with the result.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up the car today. I am extremely impressed with the visual. The paint correction and ceramic coating looks amazing. Will report back after some on the road operation and cleaning in a month or so.

https://youtu.be/3-DT8kb0qrs

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is an old thread... but how’s the coating holding up. I’m thinking about getting it done as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quite honestly Im not sure it was the best choice for this car. Dont get me wrong it is holding up great and I am very pleased. Problem is my Cobra never leaves the garage on poor weather days or even when the streets are wet. It never gets very dirty and does not spend any time sitting in the elements or extended hours in the sun. In a cost vs benefit assessment I think on the Cobra I am not getting my money worth.
    As I said previously in the thread I was mainly wanting to try it before my other new car came. I also had it applied to that car in February and that car sees much more regular service. On that one I am very pleased and feel like I would do it again.

If you are considering this I would take a look at how you intend to use the car and see if it is worth the cost to you. If your use if like mine there may be better ways to spend your dollar. The car does always look great and gets great comments on the finish at gatherings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. My car is freshly painted. I was just looking for the best “coating/protectant” for the paint to aid in easy spray/detailer bottle washing’s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just get a nice car cover and cover it up when it sits. FFR has one:http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/1471...ter-car-cover/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Usudno View Post
    Thanks for the info. My car is freshly painted. I was just looking for the best “coating/protectant” for the paint to aid in easy spray/detailer bottle washing’s.
    Don't put anything on fresh paint. It needs time to out gas. The general consensus is about 60 days.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will definitely get a cover. Just looking for something to make cleanup a little easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Avalanche325, I have to get the pipes re-coated. it will be about 4 weeks until they are done. It has been out of the paint shop for a month now. I couldn't be more happy with the color!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I Had it done.
    My friend is a detailer and wanted to try it out. Results are amazing. Guaranteed for 5 years and gives the paint A very deep shine, almost like a new clear coat. The paint feels very smooth. I just have to wipe it down when I clean the car.
    I would defiantly recommend having this done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    Just get a nice car cover and cover it up when it sits. FFR has one:http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/1471...ter-car-cover/

I disagree with the use of car covers indoors after learning a bit. You are actually more likely to hurt the finish putting it on and off than the good it is doing once it is on. Just my opinion though. I stopped using mine in the garage and just keep it in the trunk in case I get stuck out somewhere and need it.