BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hey Go-Dad

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Go-Dad

What we have here is a nailhead Buick with a crank driven GMC supercharger blowing into the exhaust ports and exhausting through the intake ports:

Looks like the kind of backasswards thing that a guy who would put a Chevy engine in a Cobra might do!

Love ya' Brother (and you know I just like to shake your tree )

Jeff

buickblower.jpg

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    And It Is Cool!

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that's interesting Jeff, wonder if he used the smaller exhaust valves for the intake. It's a head shaker for sure.

My Scorpion powered F550 uses a similar intake / exhaust arrangement -- the intake is where you'd expect the exhaust manifold to be and the exhaust exists in the valley area where the turbo is mounted. Not sure the bow tie boys and girls ever reversed the flow like this sling shot dragster but Ford has and I have one.

I like the SBC in Dad's faux Cobra but then I'm also a bow-tie fan and worse yet, I used to be a Ford mechanic that was lured over to the dark side.

Go-Dad-Go...

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that's darn funny!
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Equally (or perhaps even more) wacky was Mickey Thompson's experiment with Pontiac heads on a V8 which put the intake and exhaust on the same side rather than in a cross flow configuration, much like we'd see on an inline 6 cylinder. Here's one with a pair of GMC blowers:

And a normally aspirated version:

Jeff

MT-Twin-Blown-Pontiac.jpgMT-V8-NA-version.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    I like the SBC in Dad's faux Cobra but then I'm also a bow-tie fan and worse yet, I used to be a Ford mechanic that was lured over to the dark side.

Go-Dad-Go...
    I'm from the Great State of Lousiana so you got it all wrong Sir Naz.

It should be the GEAUX Cobra not the Faux Cobra because this sucker will be Geauxing Soon and Geauxing Fast!

It's pronounced (Go) just like we Cheer Geaux Ragin Cajuns when tailgating with Baby Geaux-Dad down at U.L.L.

Maybe We'll Just Call It The Fake Snake Instead!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff just curious if these photos were taken in Louisiana?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool photos.

Similar to all things in history, nothing is ever new and someone has probably already done it.
    What I found interesting about aviation and automobiles is that they often cross technology.
    Superchargers that were used on ww2 airplanes made their way onto cars and became a favorite mod of gear-heads.
    In the same manner some automotive technology has made it into aircraft in the early years of aviation.
    They really are my two favorite things and they trace their roots back to garages across America.

Thanks for the post Jeff and Godad.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff has found some crazy but interesting old designs that give us a look back into the history of hot rodding. I'm amazed at some of the things people tried -- some are real head scratchers and others are very clever. Sometimes these old ideas resurface and are refined into designs that perform exceptionally well and touted as modern technology. TexasAviator's example of superchargers on WWII aircraft making their way into automotive uses is a good example. The use of forced induction is prevalent in today's cars with small engines making big and efficient power. Of course the aircraft turbo-superchargers of the 30's have been refined into "modern" technology but the root of this "modern" technology dates back to 1859. Google Roots Blower Company. It's a great example of old is new again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post

Similar to all things in history, nothing is ever new and someone has probably already done it.
    What I found interesting about aviation and automobiles is that they often cross technology.
    Superchargers that were used on ww2 airplanes made their way onto cars and became a favorite mod of gear-heads.
    In the same manner some automotive technology has made it into aircraft in the early years of aviation.
    They really are my two favorite things and they trace their roots back to garages across America.
    The blower/supercharger design that we are so used to seeing in drag racing and hot rodding applications actually dates back to the 1930s when it first appeared on Detroit Diesel 71 series two stroke engines. The blower was necessary to produce a positive cylinder pressure on the intake stroke to scavenge the exhaust. So yeah, as TA mentioned hot rodders picked up on the idea to use the blower to force the intake charge...(I spent a couple of decades doing engineering test work with both Schwitzer Corporation (blowers & turbos) and General Motors at Detroit Diesel Allison Division and often explain the whole forced induction concept as being like dumping sand in a rat's hole---you can fit a lot more in if you pack it rather than pour it To this day I still stop and enjoy the sound when I hear a Detroit 6-71 winding up!)

Jeff

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post

It should be the GEAUX Cobra not the Faux Cobra because this sucker will be Geauxing Soon and Geauxing Fast!

It's pronounced (Go) just like we Cheer Geaux Ragin Cajuns when tailgating with Baby Geaux-Dad down at U.L.L.

Steve, we are all Fake Snakes! But, oh what fun we have with our Fakes!

Merry Christmas, Steve and best wishes for building/driving in 2018!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh the memories! One of my first jobs was driving a tender truck for the local fertilizer plant. The truck had a Detroit 2stroke and a 7spd straight stick. The owner taught me to drive by this explanation. “Mash the throttle into the floor, when it sounds like it’s going to explode, let it go another 1500rpm, then shift”. Man I loved the sound of that truck! Thanks Jeff for bringing that back to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Equally (or perhaps even more) wacky was Mickey Thompson's experiment with Pontiac heads on a V8 which put the intake and exhaust on the same side rather than in a cross flow configuration, much like we'd see on an inline 6 cylinder. Here's one with a pair of GMC blowers:

Jeff
    Jeff, will that fit in a roadster with the FFR Mod motor FB panels?????? LOL

That thing looks like a wild beast! I like the ingenuity of the old hot-rodders! My favorite is still the M/T 4 engine, 4wd dragster. THAT 4wd burnout was just crazy.

Thanks for sharing Jeff.
    Last edited by MPTech; 12-17-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post

Here ya go....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Here ya go....
    Don't You Mean Geaux?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure, I don't kneaux. Probably thoeaux.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Go Dad: When is your block coming home? You need something to help pass your time!
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frankb View Post
    Hey Go Dad: When is your block coming home? You need something to help pass your time!
    The Fact Of The Matter Is: Yes, I Do Need Something To Pass The Time For Sure!
    The block has been bored and honed so maybe next week, but more likely the 1st week of January.

Post Thanks / Like
    OH ! He said "Go Dad" ....I thought he said "Go Nad" !.....bummer! I was loaded for bear on that one....sad face !