Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oil Cooler for Power Steering?

Post Thanks / Like

Oil Cooler for Power Steering?

Has anyone used and Oil Cooler in the stock location for a Power Steering Cooler? I'm considering going this route.

If so, did you go with the the Factory Five Setrab Cooler kit, went with another kit, or did you Fab up your own?

Thanks.
    Chris
    Mark IV Roadster #7679
    Coyote 5.0, T56, Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Torsen Diff, Wilwoods, Hydraboost, ABS Power Brakes, Power Steering, & tons more extras.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not go with an oil cooler because I believe Mark Reynolds at Breeze automotive told me it wasn't really necessary for this application. (If I just threw you under the bus, Mark, I apologize, and if I am wrong, please educate us both!!) EdwardB used a cooler in at least his 20th Anniversary build, perhaps the earlier one as well. Check out his 20th Anniversary thread for more info on location and brand. Sorry I don't remember the exact post number.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    @Jazzman, thanks. I saw what Paul did in his build. I remember he had a smaller remote cooler. I'm doing a Coyote build and was going to utilize the factory oil cooling connections on that motor that route to the radiator. My inquiry here was to see if anyone re-purposed the oil cooler in the factory location for their power steering instead. Thanks again.
    Chris
    Mark IV Roadster #7679
    Coyote 5.0, T56, Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Torsen Diff, Wilwoods, Hydraboost, ABS Power Brakes, Power Steering, & tons more extras.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't really feel that a PS cooler is necessary for a street car although it won't hurt anything. I do track work with mine and installed one after finding how hot the fluid gets with sustained high RPM runs. I just a simple 3 row transmission oil cooler---you can see it here:

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I just a simple 3 row transmission oil cooler

Jeff
    On the return line?
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, on the return line. The supply line is quite high pressure and there is no reason to stress it.
    If you have a remote aluminum reservoir that will radiate significant heat too and lessen the need for a cooler.
    I agree with Jeff K that for autocross a cooler is a good idea.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to replace my power steering pump after about 5600 miles and my guess is that it failed because of excessive heat so this time I am going to and a oil cooler to remove the heat. I drive mine 75 to 100 miles at a time so the fluid gets pretty hot

I’m thinking about one something close to the link below and mounting it similar to the radiator over flow tank

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-331018

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    I did use an oil cooler for my PS cooler. Made use of that opening up front.

Like this one...don't remember the size I used...there are several
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-41300erl
    Last edited by Sanford; 12-20-2017 at 05:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use a temperature sticker to determine if there is a temperature problem.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...ts-1/overview/

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen several over the years out in the front opening. Use one similar to the one Sanford linked so the shape is similar to the old oil coolers so you can run the lines up into the rad opening like back in the day.
    http://www.superformance.com/Default...BoCsc4QAvD_BwE
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went a different direction on my Coyote build. I simply used an extra long return tube and coiled it into a spiral of about 3 turns of 12" in diameter. I mounted the coil behind the radiator around the fan motor. This allows the air that has passed through the radiator (warmed, I know) to pass around the tubes and cool the fluid. There is much more tubing involved than in the small oil cooler I bought and once the tubing is painted black, it is hardly noticeable in the engine bay.
    I do not plan on auto crossing much if any and the solution will keep the fluid temp more reasonable.
    Larry Johnson
    Colleyville, Texas (DFW area)
    2016 Mark IV complete kit
    Delivered March 3, 2016
    New 2016 Roush Coyote engine w/453 hp
    2016 IRS, Tremec T600 mid shifter

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same thoughts. Keep in mind, the FFR Setrab cooler is set up for -10 AN fittings. The high pressure power steering lines are much smaller. You can make it work with reducers but you will need to play with the hoses and fittings. I figured the big -10 lines coming off of the cooler were a big part of the look so changed my plans. It can be done but you need to plan it through.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Johnson View Post
    I went a different direction on my Coyote build. I simply used an extra long return tube and coiled it into a spiral of about 3 turns of 12" in diameter. I mounted the coil behind the radiator around the fan motor. This allows the air that has passed through the radiator (warmed, I know) to pass around the tubes and cool the fluid. There is much more tubing involved than in the small oil cooler I bought and once the tubing is painted black, it is hardly noticeable in the engine bay.
    I do not plan on auto crossing much if any and the solution will keep the fluid temp more reasonable.
    That is very common in production cars. Often the circle is flattened a bit and they are called a 'trombone tube'.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one like the one shown in the link posted by Rick that came from Levy with my engine and power steering setup. I don't have it mounted yet but it will go on the frame between the engine and battery, this is on a Gen 3 coupe. The cooler is plumbed in on the low pressure side and I will be using 6-AN fittings.
    David W

Post Thanks / Like
    I used one in my Coyote build.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.