Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FIRST START! Yeah, but a few oil leaks questions

Post Thanks / Like

FIRST START! Yeah, but a few oil leaks questions

6F0904EB-208B-4BE5-A7D1-67883D791991.jpeg6B29CA59-57F0-4E9B-B383-3C4A6EB8E564.jpeg
    Got the car started, but got some smoke from the pipes, it looks like there is some new or residual oil coming out of where the pipe connects to the passenger side cylinder bank and some half way from where it goes around to the up pipe, it seems to be coming through the threads of the bolt, should I Be concerned or monitor it as I go through the heat cycles. The most concerning one looks to be the lower driver side cam. A drop or two came from the timing belt cover. I took it off to look, but hard to see behind. I did all new seals, water pump, pulleys and timing belt before putting engine in. I hope it was just the initial seating of everything and not something I have to pull the engine for. Anybody have any similar issues?
    Last edited by Chef818; 12-22-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Did you have the front cam caps off when you did the seals?
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I did not take off the cam caps, is that something I should have done with the water pump, timing belt and seals?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the exact same leak and am very interested in what is proposed to fix it. The cam caps need to have silicone in-between the mating surfaces and since you didn't take them off you wouldn't need to worry about this issue, unless it was leaking from there previously. I have also determined that if it is leaking from the cam caps the oil tends to pool on the back side of the timing belt cover in the indent right where it meets the exhaust cam shaft cam seal.

Many mechanics have told me its the valve covers, I still do believe it is, but have yet to be able to stop the leak. I have tried new seals with applying a bead of sealant (permatex black) along the gasket where it would mate to the head. I have also made sure to add a little bit extra to the corners in which the valve cover mates to the humps of the cam shafts. I also ended up pulling the motor in frustration to change out the cam seals, in which when I pulled it I could see that it more than likely was not leaking from them as it was dry.

I am now at the conclusion my valve cover may be bent. My next steps are going to be replacing the valve covers and putting a bead of sealant between the gasket and cover, and then a bead between the gasket and cylinder head. Then i will add a washer in between the valve cover grommets and the bolt head to increase how much force is applied to the valve cover gasket before the valve cover bolts bottom out from their collars.

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated, and Chef, I hope my experiences will lead you to the right answer as well.

Ian

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't usually have any issues, when I put the cam seals in I use some 3 bond under the cam caps which also seals the edge of the cams seals. New cover seals and all is good.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Wayne, is there anywhere else oil could be coming from? I will try the new seals and new valve covers still just for peace of mind at least, but if you have any other suggestions that would be great

Thanks