Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Show me your toolbox. Any new tools or car parts coming for Xmas?

Post Thanks / Like

Show me your toolbox. Any new tools or car parts coming for Xmas?

Hello,
    My coworker stopped by today to see the build. We were talking about the good,bad and ugly. He was under the impression that one would need a specialized tools and well equipped shop/garage. I showed him mine workbench and tools what I using and he almost fell over, LOL
    (and of course you need a damn heater here in IL!)

Honestly, nothing special, just tools one would need around the house. For Xmas I am not getting any new tools, rather some parts for the car
    (all I want for Christmas is a transmission plug and some heat shield)

Last edited by broku518; 12-22-2017 at 11:47 PM.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    You must have more tools than that?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have another box about twice this size but this is my new one that I can roll around easiest and up and under the car when the lift is up. I love the organization of the drawers and everything having its own spot. Check out Sonictoolsusa.com they are having some great sales right now. They are a Norwegian based company and a local friend of mine owns the entire USA Distribution and they are based in my home town. I had not heard of them prior to meeting the owner. Really nice stuff. Comparable to Snap On. You can buy the boxes empty and fill them as you like or buy them full of tools. I bought the box empty and have been filling it up. Probably buy another couple drawers worth after Xmas while the sale is going on through the new year. All the foam encased sets are 25% off right now.

Last edited by wareaglescott; 12-23-2017 at 07:20 AM.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Hi Jim.
    I have a riveting tool, clecos and battery drill, grinder and welder machine
    The engine hoist is a loaner.

The rest of the tools in garage are mainly gardening/snow shovels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I have another box about twice this size but this is my new one that I can roll around easiest and up and under the car when the lift is up. I love the organization of the drawers and everything having its own spot. Check out Sonictoolsusa.com they are having some great sales right now. They are a Norwegian based company and a local friend of mine owns the entire USA Distribution and they are based in my home town. I had not heard of them prior to meeting the owner. Really nice stuff. Comparable to Snap On. You can buy the boxes empty and fill them as you like or buy them full of tools. I bought the box empty and have been filling it up. Probably buy another couple drawers worth after Xmas while the sale is going on through the new year. All the foam encased sets are 25% off right now.

Hi Scott. That looks awesome! Everything neatly in place. It ain't happening here with 3 boys lol.

I really like the car lift. Ohhh

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't seem to be able to post pics yet but a Canadian kit for Xmas would be nice. I've been treating myself to some bolt on parts! TO ME, FROM ME!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    Hi Jim.
    I have a riveting tool, clecos and battery drill, grinder and welder machine
    The engine hoist is a loaner.

The rest of the tools in garage are mainly gardening/snow shovels.
    Didn't see those in your pic above.
    I'll need to get an engine hoist when the time comes. The engine should be here next week....the '33 kit probably not until the end of Feb.

Nice tool box wareaglescott.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I started out on my FFR in my two-car garage with a decent selection of hand tools that I'd gathered throughout my life, but it sort of went into overdrive and spun out of control. Soon, I was buying machine tools (vintage stuff, like a Southbend 9" lathe) and eventually outgrew the garage and moved to a hangar at the local airport, about 10 minutes down the road from my house.

The early days.... with a single mid-size rolling tool chest on the back wall -

Nowadays... with two extra rolling cabinets, a full machine shop, and lots of other industrial-grade things... as my wife says, I have issues -

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'd Kill For Gumball Chris's Shop!

The Swamp Shop & Tool Chests:
    https://youtu.be/IGYtX-3p7xk

Kill Ducks That Is!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post

The Swamp Shop & Tool Chests:
    https://youtu.be/IGYtX-3p7xk

Kill Ducks That Is!
    Mmmmmmm - who doesn't like duck? Just make sure it's kept cold for the trip north!
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    While I wouldn't kill for it, I am seriously jealous. Building my car in a two car garage that also serves as a "regular" garage, lawnmowers, shovels, snowblowers, smokers and grills. My friend in Tennessee has a 7 car garage with welders, Bridgeports, and such. His wife calls it "Look Upon Motors", we rarely drive them, but frequently "Look Upon" them..
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    Gumball wins.

..unless someone wants to show us better? I bet there's quite a few nice setups on here.. (mine ain't one)
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a fair sized shop, but I am still darn envious of Chris's set up.

I thought I had a fair selection of tools, when I started, but there certainly were some more tools I still had to get for the build.
    Certain size line wrench's, ratchet Torx head drivers, a compressor, crimping pliers, brake line bender, wire feed welder, Cleco's and pliers, air riveter, air ratchet, Dremel and several accessory's, angle grinder, various hole saw bits, step bits, and a lot more regular drill bits, are a few I can think of..

I suspect your going to get a few more than what I can see in that picture..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    So, I started out on my FFR in my two-car garage with a decent selection of hand tools that I'd gathered throughout my life, but it sort of went into overdrive and spun out of control. Soon, I was buying machine tools (vintage stuff, like a Southbend 9" lathe) and eventually outgrew the garage and moved to a hangar at the local airport, about 10 minutes down the road from my house.

The early days.... with a single mid-size rolling tool chest on the back wall -

Nowadays... with two extra rolling cabinets, a full machine shop, and lots of other industrial-grade things... as my wife says, I have issues -

You don't have issues, You have one understanding wife.
    Doug
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's one for you ...

My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the kind words guys - here's the view behind where the above pic was taken....

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I was hoping for a pic of the plane! It REALLY IS a “hanger”!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0392.JPG
    New toolbox ..
    Last edited by Mblueye33; 12-25-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Garage and Tools

Most of my tools I have been acquiring over the past 30 years. I purchased my first Craftsman set with my Tax return back when I was 19 and I actually received tax returns.

For the build I replace my old worn out cordless drills with a couple Dewalt cordless drills. Specific tools I purchased:

Eastwood flaring tool
    Ridgid tube bending tool
    Angle Drill
    Dremel
    Deutsch Crimper
    Many Drill Bits
    Cleco's and Cleco pliers
    Jack Stands
    Floor Jack

Heck, the list goes on an on. One of the biggest advantages is that sheet metal bender, mill, grinders, presses were all available at my work.

Here is my garage. The red Milwaukee (Home Depot) toolbox I purchased last year to replace my Craftsman toolbox. Great Tool Box

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 12-25-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does a new shop count?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I was at his garage last week, and that was truely it.
    It really is a thing of beauty that you can build one of these cars with only those tools.
    And he is doing a great job. I am impressed.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey now, don't post "basic hand tools"
    I have my wife convinced I really need this cool tool or that cool tool !!
    Gumball, Scotty and Kleiner you're just being mean.....damn I'm envious.....have a few Buddies who have nice garages and I can't believe how much a big Snap On box can cost! Not even a wrench in it - just the box
    I also am a little angry with myself because I can't for the life of me remember who I lent my Clecos and pliers to and that was at least 10 years ago.

Scott
    Last edited by Scotty's65; 12-25-2017 at 10:50 PM.
    2014 Mustang GT Track Pack
    F5 MKII (sold)
    MKIV soon
    "When in doubt go to full throttle, it may not solve the problem but it will end the suspense"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Does a new shop count?

Jeff
    Great looking shop Jeff. How about some interior pics?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Does a new shop count?

Jeff
    Now THAT'S a tool box!!! Rock on, Jeff!
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    Most of my tools I have been acquiring over the past 30 years. I purchased my first Craftsman set with my Tax return back when I was 19 and I actually received tax returns.

For the build I replace my old worn out cordless drills with a couple Dewalt cordless drills. Specific tools I purchased:

Eastwood flaring tool
    Ridgid tube bending tool
    Angle Drill
    Dremel
    Deutsch Crimper
    Many Drill Bits
    Cleco's and Cleco pliers
    Jack Stands
    Floor Jack

Heck, the list goes on an on. One of the biggest advantages is that sheet metal bender, mill, grinders, presses were all available at my work.

Here is my garage. The red Milwaukee (Home Depot) toolbox I purchased last year to replace my Craftsman toolbox. Great Tool Box

I received my Milwaukee tool chest from Santa this year. Wow, what nice and quality built units. My older son commented on my Craftsman unit I purchased back when he was young and we lived in Germantown, WI. A little rusty but still holds tools.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! what nice clean work spaces some of you have. I on the other hand have what I call a working mans shop. It has 1 12'x24' bay and 2 -12'x36' bays. The larger ones have a 2- post lift in one and a 4-post in the other. My tool boxes are fair size. One is Metric the other US. I also have 10 ton press, bead blast cabinet, parts washer, 30" shear/brake roller as well as many other car related tools and machines. This setup has allowed me to build 9 FFR kits some personal some customer. It is a converted pole barn. Weather here in Florida is mostly kind to me for working on cars. I did get a ton of stuff prior to Christmas for my 35 P/U project coming soon. Thanks to all sharing those fantastic looking shops!

IMG_2238.JPGIMG_2241.JPGIMG_2236.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Here you go. This is a long time dream of mine. It doubles as my boat storage.

MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Does a new shop count?

Jeff
    It looks like it's all ready for my car!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I got one of these for Christmas.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1...D061/301444915
    As they and their batteries slowly die off, I am going to slowly swap out all my Craftsman battery tools for these.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    2A07A3D6-5020-43C1-9FBA-695C658D0A62.jpeg

Just finishing up my garage at Lake Havasu, it’s empty - but soon a lift. It’s 50X25X14 feet, with three separate doors. Just had the epoxy floors done...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cgundermann; 12-27-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cgundermann View Post
    2A07A3D6-5020-43C1-9FBA-695C658D0A62.jpegJust finishing up my garage at Lake Havasu, it’s empty - but soon a lift. It’s 50X25X14 feet, with three separate doors. Just had the epoxy floors done...
    Thats awesome, Chris!

I have fantasized about moving to Lake Havasu when I retire. I just need to talk my bride into it.

Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cgundermann View Post
    2A07A3D6-5020-43C1-9FBA-695C658D0A62.jpeg

Just finishing up my garage at Lake Havasu, it’s empty - but soon a lift. It’s 50X25X14 feet, with three separate doors. Just had the epoxy floors done...
    That's a lot of square footage to cover with epoxy!!!! Looks great - will be awesome when filled.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    Thats awesome, Chris!

I have fantasized about moving to Lake Havasu when I retire. I just need to talk my bride into it.

Mark
    Thanks Mark, we head down every couple months...I’m retired, but my bride still has 6 years. We will eventually be down there full time! We love it there; real gear head community...

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    That's a lot of square footage to cover with epoxy!!!! Looks great - will be awesome when filled.
    Thank Chris, around $3000 for five separate coats (two clear coats) I did the motofloor here at my Washington house and for a much smaller area, was expensive.

Love yours though! Is that 66 fastback in your hangar a new unibody from Dynacorp?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I got one of these for Christmas.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1...D061/301444915
    As they and their batteries slowly die off, I am going to slowly swap out all my Craftsman battery tools for these.
    I have the Dewalt brushless/lipo batt drill and driver . Your going to love the difference . Lighter and longer run time . Plus faster charges.