BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Part Terminology

Post Thanks / Like

Part Terminology

What the circular piece called that mounts on the firewall that you thread the clutch cable through. I think I'm missing it and want to be able to ask FF for the right thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are referring to the clutch firewall adjuster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's a cable adjuster. If you just recently received your kit, it won't have one. The newer kits come an with adjustable clutch cable which makes the firewall adjuster, in theory, unnecessary..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eamici View Post
    What the circular piece called that mounts on the firewall that you thread the clutch cable through. I think I'm missing it and want to be able to ask FF for the right thing.
    I like the idea of having the ability to adjust the clutch without getting under the car. This is the one I installed:

https://www.amazon.com/Steeda-555-70...lutch+adjuster

Last edited by Papa; 12-27-2017 at 11:50 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting question. You may in fact be correct that this is called a clutch cable adjuster, but tell me, please, how does one adjust anything using this? Note in my photo that this thing is just a solid tube. Are we talking about different parts or am I totally in left field?

Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    I Note in my photo that this thing is just a solid tube. Are we talking about different parts or am I totally in left field?
    Different parts Al. No adjustment at the firewall with your setup. The photo Papa posted shows a clutch firewall adjuster like this:

bbkadjuster.jpg

The outer female portion is fixed at the firewall or footbox bulkhead; turning the male portion moves the clutch cable jacket in or out---since the inner cable is captured at both ends by the pedal and clutch fork this changes the freeplay. I assume that yours must be adjusted from underneath at the fork???

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have either of Jeff's or Al's. Is this a necessary component? If so I can get one now that I have your pics or links. I'm gonna try to attach a pic of what I have.IMG_0424.JPGIMG_0424.JPGIMG_0424.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Different parts Al. No adjustment at the firewall with your setup. The photo Papa posted shows a clutch firewall adjuster like this:

bbkadjuster.jpg

The outer female portion is fixed at the firewall or footbox bulkhead; turning the male portion moves the clutch cable jacket in or out---since the inner cable is captured at both ends by the pedal and clutch fork this changes the freeplay. I assume that yours must be adjusted from underneath at the fork???

Jeff
    Yes. The adjustment is at the fork. I have no idea what purpose the tube serves, but it's installed. Not surprised they don't include them in kits anymore.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eamici View Post
    I don't have either of Jeff's or Al's. Is this a necessary component? If so I can get one now that I have your pics or links. I'm gonna try to attach a pic of what I have.IMG_0424.JPGIMG_0424.JPGIMG_0424.JPG
    If you do decide to install the adjustable connector, you'll need to remove the large plastic piece from the end of your FF provided cable.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    the nomenclature is firewall adjuster but that is something manufacturers have been using to describe this part they modified on fox body cars. Maximum Motorsports has been doing it as long as I can remember. The part from ford is not in the service manual because its a part of the cable assembly that goes into the firewall allocation. The spacer you have is doing what our adjusters are already doing. Someone just measured and fabricated the adjustment into your setup. Your spacer does the same thing as our adjusters. You can remove it and replace it with one of these billet adjusters.

Post Thanks / Like
    SN95 Mustangs had a mildly complex clutch cable quadrant which automatically adjusted for clutch wear / cable length - so SN95 clutch cable ends were non adjustable / crimped (oem).

The mildly complex quadrant was made of plastic / teflon and had a substantial failure rate - especially if used with a heavier pressure plate.

People started replacing their self adjusting plastic quadrants with solid aluminum quadrants (sturdy, but non self adjusting) and needed to adjust the length of their non adjustable clutch cables.

That's where the firewall adjuster came from.

So if you have an adjustable cable, you don't need a firewall adjuster (but you could use one if you like).

There may have been a similar self adjusting plastic quadrant on fox body Mustangs - I'm not certain on that.
    Last edited by mike223; 12-29-2017 at 09:24 AM.