Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pinion Angle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
    Yep, had to grind off only about a 32nd of an inch, very small correction and it fit nice and tight.
    Maybe there's some variation I'm not aware of (certainly very possible!) but that doesn't sound right. My DART block along with the Energy Suspension mounts took considerably more than that to get the mounts to sit flat on the block.

Something just isn't right here. You're doing a pretty typical installation. Doesn't make sense you should have to raise the TKO more than 3/4 - 1 inch. Something else is going on.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, something's out of sorts. Assuming you can find it and then get the engine roughly level, all your angles will come in. Some new numbers based on the now known driveshaft angle.

Three scenarios are shown. Left: current situation (angles unacceptable); middle: how the numbers would look with a level engine (angles marginal but acceptable); right: numbers with pinion rise under power accounted for (angles look great).

I think this shows pretty clearly it's the engine/trans angle that needs to be addressed. If you can get it close to zero degrees with a shim thickness in the neighborhood of 1" you'll be all set.
    --
    MKIV Roadster #8641
    Complete Kit with IRS, Eaton Detroit Truetrac, 3.55 gears, Wilwood Brakes
    Ford Racing Z427 w/ Pro-M Sequential Port EFI System
    TKO 600 + McLeod Midshifter; Fast Freddie's Electro-Hydraulic power steering
    Miller Customs Bodywork & Paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by karlos View Post
    Yep, something's out of sorts. Assuming you can find it and then get the engine roughly level, all your angles will come in. Some new numbers based on the now known driveshaft angle.

Three scenarios are shown. Left: current situation (angles unacceptable); middle: how the numbers would look with a level engine (angles marginal but acceptable); right: numbers with pinion rise under power accounted for (angles look great).

I think this shows pretty clearly it's the engine/trans angle that needs to be addressed. If you can get it close to zero degrees with a shim thickness in the neighborhood of 1" you'll be all set.
    The issue with raising the trans is it just doesn't seem right to have it jacked way up off the mount (your talking about 3 inches or more). Seem's like a set up for future problems with movement and bolts working loose, what about the torque on those bolts and the mounts? As previously stated I have already shimmed it up one inch to where it is now at 4.5 degrees!

It seems to me if the "banana" bar and shock mounts were relocated only a slight amount on the axle everything would be good. All I need is 3 degrees up on the pinion and I think I would be within limits. (Trans down 4.5, pinion up 1.5 equals 3 degree difference in the acceptable direction)
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    The angle calculator is your friend. Link is provided in post #2. Use it to consider various hypotheticals so that you have an idea of what you're trying to achieve before you start modifying the car. If I understand correctly, I believe you're proposing changing the slope on the differential from its current 1.5 degrees upward to 1.5 degrees downward (a total change of 3 degrees). If you plug those numbers into the calculator you'll see that the pinion angle still ends up being a factor of 2 too high (assuming a driveshaft angle of 2 degrees and a differential angle of 1.5 degrees, pinion angle ends up being 2 degrees).

Just to be clear, no one is suggesting that you raise the back of the transmission 3 inches. If you need something like 3 inches in order to get the engine approximately level, then there's another issue at play here. Need to find what that is first and then move on to setting up the driveline.
    --
    MKIV Roadster #8641

Post Thanks / Like
    Can some of you tell me what your pinion angle is? I am talking about the pinion shaft itself coming out of the rear axle housing. Is it pointed down or up in relation to the frame of the car?

Stepping back a moment; almost all vehicles have the engine/transmission mounted at some angle down towards the rear of the vehicle, although I will agree some may be exactly level, that's just the way it is. Therefor, most vehicles have the pinion shaft pointing slightly up, or again, some may be level, again, that is just what is most common. But none that I have ever seen have been mounted pointing down!

So, are all yours different? Do your pinions point down towards the ground in the front? Mine does and I do not think that is normal. But if you all have the same thing going on, then I guess I am wrong. I would just like to establish this fact before moving on to raising the transmission.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at Kleiner's post (#6). You want about 2 degrees nose down relative to the transmission output shaft. You're currently at 1.5 degrees nose down on the pinion. But your transmission is at 4.5 degrees the opposite direction. So the angles add. 1.5 + 4.5 = 6 degree operating angle. No good. But if your engine were roughly level, you'd be 1.5 degrees nose down relative to the trans output shaft. Perfect.
    --
    MKIV Roadster #8641

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that dark semicircle in your photo a shadow or a gap?

--
    MKIV Roadster #8641

Post Thanks / Like
    Can some of you tell me what your pinion angle is? I am talking about the pinion shaft itself coming out of the rear axle housing. Is it pointed down or up in relation to the frame of the car?

Stepping back a moment; almost all vehicles have the engine/transmission mounted at some angle down towards the rear of the vehicle, although I will agree some may be exactly level, that's just the way it is. Therefor, most vehicles have the pinion shaft pointing slightly up, or again, some may be level, again, that is just what is most common. But none that I have ever seen have been mounted pointing down!

So, are all yours different? Do your pinions point down towards the ground in the front? Mine does and I do not think that is normal. But if you all have the same thing going on, then I guess I am wrong. I would just like to establish this fact before moving on to raising the transmission.
    Each of my four builds (including the newest one on the lift right now) have the diff pointed up toward the front. With the engine/trans typically pointing down in the 1-2 degree range (that's what mine have been), that equals an acceptable pinion angle.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at Kleiner's post (#6). You want about 2 degrees nose down relative to the transmission output shaft. You're currently at 1.5 degrees nose down on the pinion. But your transmission is at 4.5 degrees the opposite direction. So the angles add. 1.5 + 4.5 = 6 degree operating angle. No good. But if your engine were roughly level, you'd be 1.5 degrees nose down relative to the trans output shaft. Perfect.
    Right, BB767 you have to have an assembly problem your rear sounds fine. Most of us only need to fine tune the rear and done. This thread is way too much going on. Is there a builder /owner in your area to stop by and look at your car. Experienced eyes can usually spot a problem immediately.
    Roadster Mk3 5294, 302 Comp XE276HR cam, AFR 185 heads, 650 Quick fuel carb, Air Gap intake, T-5 3.55 gear Levy Upper & Lower Front and Rear control arms Purch Jan 2008 Tagged Mar 2012 Best ET 12.14 @113** SOLD 4/8/18 **
    YouTube Videos: Current performance - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7c...86xO3U4l4RtVMQ Older build - http://www.youtube.com/user/joeembery#p/u My Pics:
    http://s207.photobucket.com/user/Joe...?sort=6&page=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that dark semicircle in your photo a shadow or a gap?

Hi Karlos, I went out and inspected it closely, there is no gap, the mounts sit square and flush on the frame pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Each of my four builds (including the newest one on the lift right now) have the diff pointed up toward the front. With the engine/trans typically pointing down in the 1-2 degree range (that's what mine have been), that equals an acceptable pinion angle.
    Thanks Edward. I feel if my pinion were pointed up, (as yours is) or even level, the problem would be easy to solve. I just do not understand why my pinion is pointed down with no adjustment left. My trans angle may be excessive compared to most but I view the main problem as the pinion angle, if that were more like yours there would not be a problem.

But on the other end;
    Do you have any builds with the tunnel still open? I would like to know the clearance between the transmission and the frame. There is a silver cover plate on the top of my TKO600 just in front of the shift lever. I have 2 inches from it to the bottom of the frame cross member. Also, the gap between the transmission tail shaft and the frame cross member (underneath). Mine is currently 1 inch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joee View Post
    Right, BB767 you have to have an assembly problem your rear sounds fine. Most of us only need to fine tune the rear and done. This thread is way too much going on. Is there a builder /owner in your area to stop by and look at your car. Experienced eyes can usually spot a problem immediately.
    Joee, can you tell me the angle of your pinion shaft? Is it currently pointed up or down in relation to the frame?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a stock 91 302 block, stock Ford motor mounts, T5 trans. My rear is down about 2 deg from trans out put shaft just like Jeff's picture. My transmission mount sits on A frame with a washer as a spacer.
    Roadster Mk3 5294, 302 Comp XE276HR cam, AFR 185 heads, 650 Quick fuel carb, Air Gap intake, T-5 3.55 gear Levy Upper & Lower Front and Rear control arms Purch Jan 2008 Tagged Mar 2012 Best ET 12.14 @113** SOLD 4/8/18 **
    YouTube Videos: Current performance - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7c...86xO3U4l4RtVMQ Older build - http://www.youtube.com/user/joeembery#p/u My Pics:

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have any builds with the tunnel still open? I would like to know the clearance between the transmission and the frame. There is a silver cover plate on the top of my TKO600 just in front of the shift lever. I have 2 inches from it to the bottom of the frame cross member. Also, the gap between the transmission tail shaft and the frame cross member (underneath). Mine is currently 1 inch.
    The completed Roadster sitting in the garage right now (#8674) wouldn't be particularly easy to measure. It's a Coyote with TKO and IRS. So probably not applicable to yours. But dug through some pictures and found this picture of Mk4 Roadster #7750 with a DART 347 and TKO600. It's a 5-link solid axle. Still not the same as yours, but a little similar. Trans spacer is 3/4-inch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    The completed Roadster sitting in the garage right now (#8674) wouldn't be particularly easy to measure. It's a Coyote with TKO and IRS. So probably not applicable to yours. But dug through some pictures and found this picture of Mk4 Roadster #7750 with a DART 347 and TKO600. It's a 5-link solid axle. Still not the same as yours, but a little similar. Trans spacer is 3/4-inch.

Exactly what I am looking at. Can you estimate the distance between that crossbar and the silver cover plate below it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joee View Post
    I have a stock 91 302 block, stock Ford motor mounts, T5 trans. My rear is down about 2 deg from trans out put shaft just like Jeff's picture. My transmission mount sits on A frame with a washer as a spacer.
    To help narrow down the problem, can you tell me what the angle of the rear end is in relation to the frame of the car? In the picture it appears level or slightly nose high.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will tell you later not near car and that pic is 10 yrs old

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly what I am looking at. Can you estimate the distance between that crossbar and the silver cover plate below it?
    It's been a few years since that picture was taken and I don't own it any more. I would put it in the 1/2 - 3/4 inch range. The rubber shift boot, as I recall, was right at the bottom of the crossbar. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    BB767 a couple of questions. Is your trans a-frame on top of the tab on the main frame or under it? I know it's not much difference, maybe 3/8 inch, but could be helpful raising the trans w/o using a thicker shim. Can you get some pics of your rear axle including the banana bracket? I wonder if there is a chance it is clocked incorrectly relative to the pinion. I think you alluded that it is the FFR supplied axle assembly w/ the bracket welded, but there could always be a mistake there.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    What tranny mount are you using? Take a picture of your mount and the A-frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0390.JPGIMG_0399.JPGIMG_0400.JPGIMG_0402.JPG

Couple of requests for photos.
    390 shows A frame looking aft. It is mounted on top of the bracket with shims installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0406.JPGIMG_0404A.JPGIMG_0405A.JPG

404 shows that air cleaner and injection body almost level with the frame

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    BB767 a couple of questions. Is your trans a-frame on top of the tab on the main frame or under it? I know it's not much difference, maybe 3/8 inch, but could be helpful raising the trans w/o using a thicker shim. Can you get some pics of your rear axle including the banana bracket? I wonder if there is a chance it is clocked incorrectly relative to the pinion. I think you alluded that it is the FFR supplied axle assembly w/ the bracket welded, but there could always be a mistake there.
    My feeling exactly, is this clocked incorrectly? I'll try and get photos of that that are clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Can you tell anything odd from the pictures?
    IMG_0407.JPGIMG_0409.JPGIMG_0410.JPGIMG_0411.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how much difference it makes, but it doesn't appear the shim is in the correct location.

Picture's kinda dark, but it looks like you've got a stack of 3 washers that add up to maybe 3/8" or so? That would explain the tail-down trans angle. Shim's not thick enough, plus at that location vs. under the trans mount the shim is less effective in producing an angle change. Suggest you try removing those washers, set the A-frame back down on the chassis tab, take the bolts out of the transmission mount, and then raise the back of the trans until you have a 3/4"-1" gap between the transmission and the transmission mount. Then recheck the engine/trans angle. Guessing you'll be much closer to zero degrees. If so, you can put in a new (thicker) shim under the trans, leave the differential where it is, and all driveline angles will be close to the desired values.
    Last edited by karlos; 12-30-2017 at 10:38 PM.
    --
    MKIV Roadster #8641

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how much difference it makes, but it doesn't appear the shim is in the correct location.

Picture's kinda dark, but it looks like you've got a stack of 3 washers that add up to maybe 3/8" or so? That would explain the tail-down trans angle. Shim's not thick enough, plus at that location vs. under the trans mount the shim is less effective in producing an angle change. Suggest you try removing those washers, set the A-frame back down on the chassis tab, take the bolts out of the transmission mount, and then raise the back of the trans until you have a 3/4"-1" gap between the transmission and the transmission mount. Then recheck the engine/trans angle. Guessing you'll be much closer to zero degrees. If so, you can put in a new (thicker) shim under the trans, leave the differential where it is, and all driveline angles will be close to the desired values.
    OK, I'll take a look at that tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's how I adjusted mine if it's of any help. Very similar to Jeff's diagram in post#6. I made up a couple of 3/4" spacers out of some 1" AL thick wall round tubing stock on the lath. Jacked up the transmission and bolted them up under the transmission mount with longer 2" grade 8 bolts and lock washers. I reset the pinion angle to 1.8*. The crank pulley measures 87.5* (or 2.5* downward angle) and the pinion flange is 89.3* (or 0.7* upward angle) which gives me the 2* differential that is required (your pinion flange should be close to 90*). If you have a digital level with a relative angle setting you can zero the level to the crank pulley and the reading you get on the pinion flange will be the number you want, mine's 1.8*. As I remember the 3/4" spacer got me about 1.5 to 2* less downward angle on the motor/trans. Before the spacer it measured 86*. Hope this helps. Good Luck. Scott
    Last edited by johnnybgoode; 01-03-2018 at 06:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Drive Train Angles.png

OK, I went out this morning and raised the transmission until it almost touches the frame above it. It requires a shim thickness of 1 and 7/8 inches. It is now pointing down 1.5 degrees just like most of yours. Take a look at my depiction of the current angles and see what you think I should do now.Original Position.png
    Last edited by BB767; 12-31-2017 at 01:02 PM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't comment on the spacial position of the engine and trans but using Jeff's negative 2-degree static setting, rotate the pinion up until the angle is ~2-deg less than the output shaft. That would make the pinion shaft pointing down at 0.5-deg if your trans output shaft is pointing down 1.5-deg. Then check your driveshaft angle. The pinion angle has to be measured at ride height.

If the rear end won't rotate because of shock clearance then use the method I detailed earlier to get clearance.

When you are taking the engine / trans angle is the chassis level with the world, at ride height, or ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the driveshaft really at 22.7 degrees? That's about 10 times what I would expect to see (mine ended up right at 2 degrees). Something's really, really wrong. Starting to wonder about the accuracy of your angle measurements. Did you say you're using an app on your phone? Do you have another way to try to confirm the numbers? Something like this, maybe (only $5 at Harbor Freight): https://www.harborfreight.com/dial-g...der-34214.html
    --
    MKIV Roadster #8641

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Can't comment on the spacial position of the engine and trans but using Jeff's negative 2-degree static setting, rotate the pinion up until the angle is ~2-deg less than the output shaft. That would make the pinion shaft pointing down at 0.5-deg if your trans output shaft is pointing down 1.5-deg. Then check your driveshaft angle. The pinion angle has to be measured at ride height.

If the rear end won't rotate because of shock clearance then use the method I detailed earlier to get clearance.

When you are taking the engine / trans angle is the chassis level with the world, at ride height, or ???
    I am using the Tremec app on my phone for the measurements. Since I assume that is level with the world (as are the other measurements) I am simply looking at the differences to check limits.

Karlos, I'll go out and double check now.

Post Thanks / Like

This = 6 degrees; way too much.

This = 3 degrees; still too much but closer.

The only way to change the relationship is by lowering the front of the engine, raising the rear or lengthening the upper link. I too have been suspicious about your method of measurement and ask once again, what is your ride height in the rear? Show us a photo of the top of the banana bracket and panhard bar brace interface. Doesn't matter in the least whether the chassis is level with the world...for pinion angle we're only interested in two things; the angle of the output shaft and angle of the pinion shaft. I've been building these cars for years using a hardware store angle finder like Karl showed and never had a problem. It's like Jacob the Amish IT guy says "Sometimes the old ways are the best ways" (youtube it ).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0412.JPGIMG_0413.JPG

With transmission raised.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0409.JPGIMG_0410.JPGIMG_0411.JPG

Best I could get photos of rear axle.

Ride height is 4 3/4 front and rear, give or take 1/4.

I have a couple of angle gauges but most are to big to get into the area. The walls of my house measure "0" on the Tremec measurement app, I don't know what else to say. When remeasuring the driveshaft I come up with 21.9 this time. The measurements may not be 100% precise but they appear to always be within 1 degree. Close enough to get this problem figured out, I can get a more precise measuring device when I am closer to the target numbers and correct positions..

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0377.JPGIMG_0378.JPGIMG_0407.JPGIMG_0408.JPG

More photos showing my clearance issues with the shock mounts and the banana bar. I think your idea of trimming the shock mounts will work but what can I do about the banana bar?

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the camera is playing tricks but when I view your 78435 photo it sure looks like the top of the axle tube is very near even with the top of the 4" chassis tube:

If that's indeed the case the only way I can see this being possible is if the axle is hanging. PLEASE give us some wider shots showing how it sits during your measurements.

Jeff

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Maybe the camera is playing tricks but when I view your 78435 photo it sure looks like the top of the axle tube is very near even with the top of the 4" chassis tube:

If that's indeed the case the only way I can see this being possible is if the axle is hanging. PLEASE give us some wider shots showing how it sits during your measurements.

Jeff
    yeah that looks like full droop to me as well Jeff. Although in one of the pics you can see the jack stands...

the rear shock looks like it's angled pretty good.. don't remember mine be like that.... can you take some pick of the lower control arms and mounting of the brackets... I would expect needing over 1" of tranny spacer.. for sure you need some... the few I have done, I think I am in the 3/4" range
    Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 12-31-2017 at 02:07 PM.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

This = 6 degrees; way too much.

This = 3 degrees; still too much but closer.

The only way to change the relationship is by lowering the front of the engine, raising the rear or lengthening the upper link. I too have been suspicious about your method of measurement and ask once again, what is your ride height in the rear? Show us a photo of the top of the banana bracket and panhard bar brace interface. Doesn't matter in the least whether the chassis is level with the world...for pinion angle we're only interested in two things; the angle of the output shaft and angle of the pinion shaft. I've been building these cars for years using a hardware store angle finder like Karl showed and never had a problem. It's like Jacob the Amish IT guy says "Sometimes the old ways are the best ways" (youtube it ).

Jeff
    I understand and agree. The front of the engine is not going down without some kind of special motor mounts or major modifications to the frame supports, probably not possible. The rear cannot come up any more as it is almost touching the frame above it now. The only option left is somehow raising the rear pinion angle. This is the basic premise of the whole post and still is. How in the world am I going to get that done? That is the question.

As far as the measurements go, the Tremec app measures level to the earth, period. I assume everyone here understands that. As you said, it makes no difference what the numbers are, what matters is their relationship to each other. Parallel within 1 degree, total difference not to exceed 3 degrees. It's that simple, but again, I cannot figure out how to get there with the restrictions I have on the pinion angle adjustment!

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta' head out to the shop and get some work done...I'll check back in later to see if there are any updates.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0414.JPGIMG_0415.JPGIMG_0416.JPG

I know someone said the shock adjustments looked high but as they are, with 4 3/4 ride height, the side pipes only clear the neighborhood speed bumps by one and a half inches. Any lower and I will not be able to leave my driveway!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast