Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How difficult to build 818c to run with Rossion q1/noble m12? Supercharged c5z or c7z

Post Thanks / Like

How difficult to build 818c to run with Rossion q1/noble m12? Supercharged c5z or c7z

Hey all- I have always wanted to build an ffr car since the company was started. The only reason I have not is that I am too practical. The 818 catches my eye these days as it has a reasonable entry and I have really liked the Subaru cars I have owned. Right now have a 2001 h6 outback wagon as my winter beater but I drive it a lot more than than that as I like it and we have 3 kids now. I just added a lift to my 2 car garage to park the c5 zo6 on top and do work with the bridge jack setup. I will prob replace the Subaru with a 2008-2012 a4 avant which will need the lift for repairs I am sure.

I have read the finished 818 product to be very spartan and the drivetrain not very reliable beyond 250-300hp. I do like the power window options and hard top now.

I hate to give up the garage space for a car that isn't going to best my c5 z06 in any category and is c7 z capable with a simple supercharger kit. I also can drive to work grocery or dragstrip/road course and drive home in it. I also feel being the only truly fixed roof z06 vette since the 60s will go up in value. Again too practical to have 2 - 2 seater vehicles.

Considering it as a fun project for the kids and I to build when they are a little older to learn about cars and repairing them and guess I could sell at 50% investment when finished. The 3.0l nobles are about to drop into the 30k range soon it appears if they have not already.

The gtm and its 85k build cost does not float my boat as that is new Rossion territory and a new c7 7 is around there. I am not intending to offend and would love rationale to build one as I think I am missing something.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    You'll need to spend a ton of money on an 818 to get it to be competitive on the track with a Z06 (not to mention a Z06 with a blower). The 818 has a LOT of potential but unfortunately is still in it's infancy in terms of being sorted out.

The 818 has extremely poor resale today. 50% return is not an unreasonable goal, but it is for a really well sorted 818 that will keep up with a Z06 on the track. The difference in expenditure between a low-end by-the-book street 818 and one that works on the track, is fast on the track, and is even moderately reliable on the track is going to be like 2x to 3x the money.

Unless you like doing things like constantly playing with many different spring rates, shocks, aero, custom fabricated sway bars etc, engine cooling, oil cooling, intercooling, dry sumping, turbo chargers, etc, then a tracked 818 might not be your cup of tea.

Based on what you have, and what you want, I would think a FFR Roadster would be way more up your alley. You can come close to a 100% return on investment if you do it right. They are extremely well-sorted, on their fourth iteration, and with a modern fuel injection engine like the Coyote, you have smooth, reliable power without the added complexity of the forced induction and mid-engine layout of the 818.

I love my 818 but just like the rest of the builders, we are still very early in the pioneering stage. While it's (mostly) fun for us engineer types, it's not for everyone and it's definitely costly in terms of both time and money.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd keep the vette and do some mods to it. You've got one of the cheapest/reliable/powerful engines and there are plenty of great upgrade parts for the corvette. Oem fitment of the doors/glass, hvac system, etc. The vette's hard to beat for the money. You can build a GTM for way less than 85k if you do the work/use donor parts/find deals/etc. It's going to depend a lot on your skillset, especially when it comes to bodywork & paint. There have been GTMs built in the 40k-50k range.
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 12-31-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your C5 Z06 has hit the bottom of the depreciation cycle and is starting to come back up. It's also a great track car needing only minimal mods to be a track superstar. And the safety of an engineered seat belt system and all the other OEM safety testing for when your kids are riding in it.

The 818C will cost more and depreciate more. What it can do that the C5 Z06 can't is be built by you! If you want to build your own car get a Factory Five 818 or the new Gen3 Coupe. If you want to do some maintenance and mods keep your Z06. If you sell the Z06 in 10 years you'll probably regret it unless you love building your own car.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you have similar end goals as myself in a occasional track car and occasional weekend grocery getter. To be 100% honest I still kick myself every so often that I didn't buy a C5 or a Solstice GXP and throw $5k worth of mods at it, because it'd be faster, safer, more reliable, cheaper, and have a roof when needed.

With that said, the 818, or any FFR car is best compared to an 80's supercar. It's rough around the edges, dangerous, loud, hot and uncomfortable. They are track cars that can be driven on the street. Not street cars that can be tracked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for all of your surprisingly candid answers. I will look into the gen 3 coupe, I didn't like the looks of the back end on it before and the sliding windows were the killer for me back then combined with everyone saying it was so difficult to build. I realize I sound like goldilocks . I think a supercharger is def in store for the vette shortly.

Right now the turbocharged 6.0 LS swap I am doing in my 70 AMC gremlin is enough engineering for me (store it at my dad's place) And maybe I will park the winter beater in my driveway again if/when I do one of these
    Last edited by Hpfiend; 01-01-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'd do a gen 3 coupe, coyote with a turbo or supercharger for about $54K (around 560 RWHP at 2500 lbs, 4.45 lbs/hp) . You could do a 818C with a fresh motor, 20G turbo, 6 speed for about $42K 400 RWHP, 1930 lbs, 4.8 lbs/hp).
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos