FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone running 19" wheels on their coupe?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone running 19" wheels on their coupe?

I am looking to get some modern race wheels for my coupe.
    Often when I look at the photos of other coupes I wish the wheel wells were not so large. I also mostly look at unfinished coupes which may not have the height adjusted yet. Nonetheless, when i do see some nice finished coupes for sale. I wish the wheel wells were more filled up. this may be because so many are running replica wheels which are smaller diameter and OD.
    I do like the way most cobra roadsters look with regard to wheel wells.

My thought is to get 19" wheels and larger OD tires like modern cars have. Im not sure how much better it will look.

Point me to some photos if you know of any.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check Factory Five's gallery for their prototype: https://www.factoryfive.com/gallerie...studio-photos/. Those are 19" Forgiato wheels. Pretty sure the Snap-On build had 19-20 inch wheels. But not sure.
    Last edited by edwardb; 12-31-2017 at 05:57 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks edwardb!
    You must live on this forum with suck quick responses.

I took a closer look at those photos and that is the way i want to go.

I have looked into windows too and not yet made any decisions. I am leaning on something removable with no permanent frames or sliders. Power windows is just too much work for a less than ideal outcome.

Who seems to have the cleanest non power or roll-up design out there from what you guys have or have seen?

Post Thanks / Like

Off topic but until scrolling through the gallery just now I hadn't noticed how off center the wheel and tire are in relation to the wheelwell.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I'm running 19" wheels on my gen 2 coupe. For the tires I got 275/30R-19 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 XL on all 4's. They are 25.6" in diameter.
    I bought the tires before I had the coupe finished and now I realize there's plenty of room for a bigger size. My next set I'll probably go with a 275/35R-19, which are 1" bigger in diameter.

More pics here:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post297439

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    good info thank you MTWAROG.

BTW i was reading back over your thread from your build. LOTS of great detail in there.
    thank you for all the effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Check Factory Five's gallery for their prototype: https://www.factoryfive.com/gallerie...studio-photos/. Those are 19" Forgiato wheels. Pretty sure the Snap-On build had 19-20 inch wheels. But not sure.
    And, oh BTW, yours for a cool $6k a set...absolutely LOVE the look, but WAY out of my price range. Halibrands at 50% off was way more doable for me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by forcefed1 View Post
    Thanks edwardb!

I have looked into windows too and not yet made any decisions. I am leaning on something removable with no permanent frames or sliders. Power windows is just too much work for a less than ideal outcome.

Who seems to have the cleanest non power or roll-up design out there from what you guys have or have seen?
    Do keep us updated, really looking forward to some sort of "closed window" option for mine...

brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I asked Jay at FFR about those wheels more for the width and offset. He told me they are Forgiato Formula FV3s. Front: 19x9.5” w/5.75” Backspace, Rear: 19x11.5” w/6.75” Backspace. They used wheel spacers on the rear to bring them flush with the wheel arch lip, but I do not have details. Probably 1" - 1.5"ish.
    https://forgiato.com/wheels/formula/fv3/

Waiting for my 65 Coupe nskaats's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mtwarog View Post
    Hi,

-Matt
    These are a nice clean look. Do they make them in an 11" width?

Quote Originally Posted by qwezxc12 View Post
    They used wheel spacers on the rear to bring them flush with the wheel arch lip, but I do not have details. Probably 1" - 1.5"ish.
    I read they used a bolt-on 1" spacer for the rears
    Last edited by nskaats; 01-07-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 15" Mickey Thompsons are 26.1 inches tall, the wheels give the look but the tire fills the wheel well. So many options...
    Coupe 0652 408 Windsor 510 hp TKO600-68OD 3.73 Traction-lok A/C and heat, Guardsman Blue with White stripes picked up 9/14 first start 7/10/15 go kart 8/15/15 registered, painted (body-on) 11/12/16 inspected and on the road 4/20/17

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    As noted, modern 18-19 wheels typically have low profile tires that are no larger in diameter than the typical tires used on 15 inch wheels. If you fill up the wheels wells with larger diameter tires, then you may have clearance problems, particularly in the front when a tire is turned.

Post Thanks / Like
    22F294C8-0E7A-44FF-BB34-64DE4EF268CD.jpeg

In regards to the cleanest side window, this is my favorite thus far. Removable not roll up.
    You can see it on the other site in the “what did you do to your coupe today” thread page 72 and 73

HTH

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Soooooo how do you open the door with that window?
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any door can be converted to operate with an electric remote. I've got no door handles on my car. There is also no mechanical back-up. That's next to impossible unless the latch is in the door jamb. I do have a second electrical source to the latch operator, fed from a different circuit. There is no switch, but if you know the right two bolt heads to touch with a coin, the door will open. If the battery goes dead, I have a plug for a battery tender that can be hooked to a 12V supply and allow access to the car.
    Last edited by DaveS53; 01-13-2018 at 05:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    that is pretty slick!
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)