FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: distance from brake rotor to mk4 fender

Post Thanks / Like

distance from brake rotor to mk4 fender

Front and rear, I am ordering custom offsets and desire to run a 18x10 rear and 18x9 front. I am looking at a 22mm to 25mm. This gives me about 6.0 front and 6.5 rear backspacing but I want to be sure the wheel sits flush or behind the fender.

This is for the 95 8.8 width, I know I can get shorter axles but won't need to with custom wheels.

Thanks for your help and experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in Colorado and have a chance to work with some guys here on a wheel order. I am not near my car but would like to measure the installed width of the fenders and the width of my 95 brake kit modified 93 axle. So i know its a bit wider with the sn95 big brake modification. I think its .75 inches wider at each side. If FFR wheels are 6.7 inches rear and 6.0 front I should subtract .75 from that for a wheel that is 6.0 in the rear and the front really doesnt change. So am I correct in assuming I need to look for 18x10 wheels with 6.0 backspacing? That should put me into a wheel that has a 12mm offset?

Post Thanks / Like
    Love to help Brandon, but I have the earlier shorter axle, Cobra brakes and the slightly smaller wheels...

You want me to take my measurements, so you can swag it from there let me know.

Chris
    Last edited by cgundermann; 01-01-2018 at 09:29 PM.
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks cg. I can take your measurements and add .75 per side. If its not where I like it I will have to switch to shorter shafts and northracecars adapters

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I’ll get at it tommorow afternoon - if someone has a closer axle setup to what Brandon is running, feel free to chime in.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    I am in Colorado and have a chance to work with some guys here on a wheel order. I am not near my car but would like to measure the installed width of the fenders and the width of my 95 brake kit modified 93 axle. So i know its a bit wider with the sn95 big brake modification. I think its .75 inches wider at each side. If FFR wheels are 6.7 inches rear and 6.0 front I should subtract .75 from that for a wheel that is 6.0 in the rear and the front really doesnt change. So am I correct in assuming I need to look for 18x10 wheels with 6.0 backspacing? That should put me into a wheel that has a 12mm offset?
    I may be misunderstanding but...if your axle is wider than standard, you need more back space on your wheels not less. (I don't deal w/ offset since it is too hard to measure while back space is easy.) So if your axle is .75 inches wider per side, you need wheels that are 6.7 +.75 = 7.45
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    you are right Craig's. I got it backwards thank you for clearing that up. I have been racking my brain about this all new years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brandon, my early Mustang axle is 59.25 inches wide and your 95 Stang axle is 3 inches longer, or .75 inches longer on each side as you stated. My 17 inch wheels have a 6 inch offset in front and a 6.5 inch in the rear. So I think you are spot on and as CraigS stated - reverse your offset direction.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys. I found wheels spec for a 1994 to 1998 car. This will give me max offset and clearance behind the wheel. I am going to end up with a 10.5 rear and 9 front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great - now I’m really curious what type of custom wheels you are going with!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cgundermann View Post
    Great - now I’m really curious what type of custom wheels you are going with!

Chris
    I know my build is far from typical in some ways so I figured I am going to make this my own from the prior mustang knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    I know my build is far from typical in some ways so I figured I am going to make this my own from the prior mustang knowledge.
    With ya Bro...

Post Thanks / Like
    94 to 98 wheels (8s in the front fit better than 9s). 9 with a 6 inch back space in the front should be ok. On the rear if it is not 59.5 width the 10.5 wheels with a 6.7 back space is not correct the above numbers are correct 7.45 back space. Many people run the 6.7 and run a smaller tire and live with a little rub. It is less than 400 to get back to the 59.5 width and there is no need to bleed the brakes. Custom wheels are going to cost a lot more than that.
    http://www.northracecars.com/Brakes.html

JMHO Richard.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.