Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Show me your WHEELS!

Post Thanks / Like

Show me your WHEELS!

Okay guys! Now that I have my donor, I need wheels before the chassis shows up so it's mobile when it arrives! (Yes, my wife bought that, too!). Show me your Roadster and tell me what you're running! The more info the better! SIZE MATTERS! Tires, backspacing, etc!

Here's what I WANT to run...so you have THESE WHEELS... I definitely wanna see yours since I showed you mine! (Man I'm on fire today!)

wtk-1007ubgn_6c04b93f.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what you mean by mobile. If its a new kit your aways from having it mobile when it arrives. I f you have a donor with wheels and tires, use those during the build. No sense in buying tire now. What if it takes you 5 years to finish? Now your starting out with 5 year old tires.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a set of wheels and tires off the Mustang for my garage wheels during the build (which was years) and then bought new tires and wheels when I was ready to put the car on the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm another one in the "Don't buy tires until you really need them" camp. With that said though my buddy Tak has the FR500s on his car:

The usual 9" fronts and 10.5" rears with either 245/45-17 or 255/40-17 in front and 315/35-17 on the rear.

Cheers,
    Jeff

tak.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    My mobility quip was a joke about getting the wife to let me order wheels, but if it's better to wait, that's fine, too! More than anything I wanted to see different styles and sizes on Cobras built here. Mine shouldn't take too long to get on the road. I helped my neighbor with his and the registration process almost took longer than the build. Good ol' California. Figured I was offering up an opportunity to show off your cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    20" Fuel, wrapped in Toyo R/T 33x12.5r20. Tucks right under the body, zero rubbing at full lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    20" Fuel, wrapped in Toyo R/T 33x12.5r20. Tucks right under the body, zero rubbing at full lock

Now THAT gives me some very creative ideas . . .
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    4wd Cobra....?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post

LOL, if they weren't so darn heavy, I'd mock up the tires off my truck next to our build - that picture is too darn funny!

I am planning the F5 halibrand replicas at this time, but have plenty of time to look for alternates. I prefer a more "period" correct look to the modern styles on these cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just had these made up by Augment Wheel Company in Toronto Ontario. Working on the center caps now,

Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleMaltWSKY View Post
    Just had these made up by Augment Wheel Company in Toronto Ontario. Working on the center caps now,

Very, very cool!

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go the Harbor Freight or Northern and buy 2 furniture dollies. They fit the frame perfectly and are dirt cheap. Carpeted, easy on frame and mobile in all directions. In my opinion, there is no reason to buy wheels or tires early in the build, all they are is in the way, and only go two directions. We go as far as putting the motor and transmission in and wire the car before the wheels and tires go on. The only reason to put wheels and tires on is to get it outside to do the first start and/or go cart. JMHO, Richard.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to look at tire choices before committing to wheels. 17" tires for our cars are becoming limited.
    Roadster Mk3 5294, 302 Comp XE276HR cam, AFR 185 heads, 650 Quick fuel carb, Air Gap intake, T-5 3.55 gear Levy Upper & Lower Front and Rear control arms Purch Jan 2008 Tagged Mar 2012 Best ET 12.14 @113** SOLD 4/8/18 **
    YouTube Videos: Current performance - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7c...86xO3U4l4RtVMQ Older build - http://www.youtube.com/user/joeembery#p/u My Pics:
    http://s207.photobucket.com/user/Joe...?sort=6&page=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joee View Post
    You may want to look at tire choices before committing to wheels. 17" tires for our cars are becoming limited.
    What is the recommended sizes for 18" wheels? for 17 i am assuming the 255/40 and 315/35.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with several others here.
    1. HF furniture dollies are all you need for the chassis to be mobile.
    2. Tires have a shelf life of around 6 years, even if they just sit in the warehouse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Oben View Post
    Go the Harbor Freight or Northern and buy 2 furniture dollies. They fit the frame perfectly and are dirt cheap. Carpeted, easy on frame and mobile in all directions. In my opinion, there is no reason to buy wheels or tires early in the build, all they are is in the way, and only go two directions. We go as far as putting the motor and transmission in and wire the car before the wheels and tires go on. The only reason to put wheels and tires on is to get it outside to do the first start and/or go cart. JMHO, Richard.
    Sounds like a plan, thanks! Just anxious but will hold off. Thanks for the tips. Love harbor freight, especially for unimportant things! Will get those coming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joee View Post
    No sure about that. Hoosiers makes drag radials and damn near every other company makes 17" tires in both those sizes. They're still extremely common. Plus the sidewall has slightly more flex and can be run taller in a 17 giving a cornering edge over a stiff side walled 18" tire... I actually prefer 17 over an 18.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the ones on my car: IMG_0002.JPG

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBabyBadger View Post
    No sure about that. Hoosiers makes drag radials and damn near every other company makes 17" tires in both those sizes. They're still extremely common. Plus the sidewall has slightly more flex and can be run taller in a 17 giving a cornering edge over a stiff side walled 18" tire... I actually prefer 17 over an 18.
    Hoosier Drag Radials are race tires for classes where you have to have a DOT rating. Drag radials are meant for straight line, cornering is pretty bad. They are race-only. This is from Hoosier.com:

"WARNING: DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire, including DOT tires, on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possible injury or death."

There are plenty of 245 and 255s, but not many 315s. Fewer that you would actually want on a Cobra. I am always concerned about tire choice. I drive mine quite a bit (5000+ miles / yr) and autocross regularly. There is pretty much ONE tire that fits that bill these days in a 17". Nitto NT05. Khumo no longer makes a 315/35 17.

I did some poking around since I haven't looked for 5-6 months:

100 treadwear - These are really track tires that you can drive to the event. <200 is considered a race tire by the SCCA. You will get around 5000 miles out of these on the street. So sort-of streeable. It would be nice to have a 2nd set of wheels and keep these for track days. If you don't mind ponying up for a set a year, or don't drive that much:
    Nitto NT01, Toyo Proxies R888, Mickey Thompson ET Street - I can't find a real treadwear rating. I saw 0 on one site.

Streetable - I consider 180 to 300ish treadwear streetable for a Cobra.
    Nitto NT05 is a good choice for street / autocross (200 treadwear- sweet spot for Street / Autocross high HP Cobra). They also have the 555G2 (320 treadwear -a bit hard for serious autocross, might be the sweet spot for a street-only <400HP Cobra). There is a Motivo that has 560 treadwear. (Too hard for a performance car, much less a Cobra).
    Goodyear Eagle F1 - (380 treadwear) a little hard, expensive and generally poor reviews.
    Sumitomo - Cheap but terrible grip. Just about dangerous on a Cobra.
    Mickey Thompson Street Comp (300 treadwear) Maybe a good choice? Don't know that much about them. Never seen an M/T tire at an autocross event. So, not for me.

That pretty much leaves Nitto and a maybe on M/T.

There are some REALLY good tires out there like the Rival S and the RE-71R, but they don't come in our size. I would like to hear if there is something else good out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Team III courtesy of Richard Oben at North Racecars. Love the deep dish that I could get with narrow (pin-drive) width. It's exactly the old school look I was going for with the 15" rims.

FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    image.jpegfrom Billets Californie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    image.jpegfrom Billets Californie
    I have the steering to match the wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    image.jpegthe front 245/40/17 rear 275/40/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Hoosier Drag Radials are race tires for classes where you have to have a DOT rating. Drag radials are meant for straight line, cornering is pretty bad. They are race-only. This is from Hoosier.com:

"WARNING: DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire, including DOT tires, on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possible injury or death."

There are plenty of 245 and 255s, but not many 315s. Fewer that you would actually want on a Cobra. I am always concerned about tire choice. I drive mine quite a bit (5000+ miles / yr) and autocross regularly. There is pretty much ONE tire that fits that bill these days in a 17". Nitto NT05. Khumo no longer makes a 315/35 17.

I did some poking around since I haven't looked for 5-6 months:

100 treadwear - These are really track tires that you can drive to the event. <200 is considered a race tire by the SCCA. You will get around 5000 miles out of these on the street. So sort-of streeable. It would be nice to have a 2nd set of wheels and keep these for track days. If you don't mind ponying up for a set a year, or don't drive that much:
    Nitto NT01, Toyo Proxies R888, Mickey Thompson ET Street - I can't find a real treadwear rating. I saw 0 on one site.

Streetable - I consider 180 to 300ish treadwear streetable for a Cobra.
    Nitto NT05 is a good choice for street / autocross (200 treadwear- sweet spot for Street / Autocross high HP Cobra). They also have the 555G2 (320 treadwear -a bit hard for serious autocross, might be the sweet spot for a street-only <400HP Cobra). There is a Motivo that has 560 treadwear. (Too hard for a performance car, much less a Cobra).
    Goodyear Eagle F1 - (380 treadwear) a little hard, expensive and generally poor reviews.
    Sumitomo - Cheap but terrible grip. Just about dangerous on a Cobra.
    Mickey Thompson Street Comp (300 treadwear) Maybe a good choice? Don't know that much about them. Never seen an M/T tire at an autocross event. So, not for me.

That pretty much leaves Nitto and a maybe on M/T.

There are some REALLY good tires out there like the Rival S and the RE-71R, but they don't come in our size. I would like to hear if there is something else good out there.
    AVALANCHE - All good points. You're talking to a former AMA/AFMer so I know you don't get your cake and eat it, too. I wouldn't expect my street tires to make it to the track. The Nitto is agreat street tire, and the NT05 is an excellent track tire. I plan to run some OE cobra wheels for track (17s) and run my sexy FR500s with some G2s for cruisin and shaking my *** at people from a dig!

Thank you for the thorough and kind response. I really do appreciate all the support, insight and information I'm getting here. It's awesome!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com