BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Headlight issues

Post Thanks / Like

Headlight issues

So my headlights have been assembled for 1 day (F5 buckets with Watson's LEDs) and 2 of the 3 little metal clips that hold the mount ring to the lamp housing have broken. Any idea where I can buy replacements? Or perhaps something better? Tried searching and nothing came up....
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    They are the weal link in the assembly. I bend mine every 6 months or so from bumping into headlights in my small garage. I guess I have been lucky I have bent them back quite a few times over the years and they haven't broken. Probably FFR as I have not found a good replacement aside of making your own.

Did you tighten them down? They are designed to just apply pressure while keeping the bend shape that is what holds the bulb in place.
    Roadster Mk3 5294, 302 Comp XE276HR cam, AFR 185 heads, 650 Quick fuel carb, Air Gap intake, T-5 3.55 gear Levy Upper & Lower Front and Rear control arms Purch Jan 2008 Tagged Mar 2012 Best ET 12.14 @113** SOLD 4/8/18 **
    YouTube Videos: Current performance - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7c...86xO3U4l4RtVMQ Older build - http://www.youtube.com/user/joeembery#p/u My Pics:
    http://s207.photobucket.com/user/Joe...?sort=6&page=1

Post Thanks / Like
    I emailed Tony at FFR (with a pic like your's) and they sent out a new set, free.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joee View Post
    Did you tighten them down? They are designed to just apply pressure while keeping the bend shape that is what holds the bulb in place.
    Yeah, I tightened them to where they are secure. Didn't crank on em. I had em sitting on my kitchen table overnight and in the morning, pieces.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    I emailed Tony at FFR (with a pic like your's) and they sent out a new set, free.
    I may do that, wanna think about it. Since these broke, I'd hate to see more broken stuff down the line. May make something better.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    After you secure the clips. Run a small bead of silicone in 3 spots between the clips to secure the light. I had one shatter like that recently too. Very poor quality metal.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    After you secure the clips. Run a small bead of silicone in 3 spots between the clips to secure the light. I had one shatter like that recently too. Very poor quality metal.

Mike
    Thanks Mike. I'm also working on making some out of aluminum. Have to see how it works.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    So I got a eureka. The clips are used so that the sealed beam headlight can be replaced on the adjustment ring. Since I'm using Watson's LEDs, the front lens and reflector is simply a housing... Just like on any late model car or truck. I should never have to replace the housing unless it gets broken.

So Mike's post got me thinking... I don't need clips. I'm thinking I can use some hi strength epoxy or silicone to glue / seal the housing to the adjustment ring. If it ever comes loose, it would be easy to clean it up and do it again. Any reason why not?

I've got some really good stuff from work that, although shelf life expired, is still good (just can't use it on aircraft).

Thoughts?

Edit: I'm thinking using sealant in the ring before the housing is installed, then along the back edge of the housing where it meets the ring. So it would be sealed / glued front and back.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    So I fixed er good. Aligned the adjust ring with the lamp and glued it in using some mil spec silicon adhesive sealant. Then I replaced the broken clips (all the clips) with cut pieces of .04 aluminum. Used #6 screws and nuts to tighten down the aluminum pieces. I then ran a nice bead of the adhesive all the way around the back of the lamp where it meets the ring. These things are solid. Tomorrow I'll take the aluminum pieces out and clean em up, make em look nice.

Thanks for the ideas, it worked. On to the next item.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is what I did during my build. (But I think Photobucket has this pics locked).

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...abs-clips.html

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...eadlights.html
    Last edited by MPTech; 01-09-2018 at 01:00 PM.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    For you that have fab'ed up different clips, and have posted your links here, any chance of re posting, or revising, your threads with new or attached pictures? My brain does a lot better with pictures. Thanks.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll post up a pic or 2 when I can get them resized.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the information from my build thread on the way I handled this situation ...

I had previously modified the clips that hold the ring to the light as done by others before me. Before I install the lights for the final time ... I will use longer screws and some locktite to make sure they don't vibrate off;

There is a piece of rubber under the clip to make sure it doesn't vibrate loose as well.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart