BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Does GTM need an inverted transaxle?

Post Thanks / Like

Does GTM need an inverted transaxle?

Like for axle angle? There's a few manufacturers that make 'standard' orientation transaxles without the wait time. Will this work? With same engine position, this would put the axles centres about 5" lower from the looks of it.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The chassis and suspension pickup points were all designed with the inverted Porsche transaxle in mind. Lowering the axles 5" would greatly interfear with all the suspension IMO. Though modifications can always be done to the chassis and suspension. They do also allow for the Mendola transaxle.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are inverted because the Porsche 911 series is REAR engine as opposed to MID-engine like the GTM. It's facing the opposite direction in the GTM than in the 911. If you didn't invert it you'd have 5 or 6 reverse gears and one low forward gear. That's why any of the 911 transaxles will be inverted in the GTM. The Boxter is mid-engine and you can use the G96.01 without having to invert it, because the boxter is MID-engine also. Or as Wallace18 mentioned, the Mendeola. (If you're NOT in a hurry, they have a long lead time.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    They are inverted because the Porsche 911 series is REAR engine as opposed to MID-engine like the GTM. It's facing the opposite direction in the GTM than in the 911. If you didn't invert it you'd have 5 or 6 reverse gears and one low forward gear. That's why any of the 911 transaxles will be inverted in the GTM. The Boxter is mid-engine and you can use the G96.01 without having to invert it, because the boxter is MID-engine also. Or as Wallace18 mentioned, the Mendeola. (If you're NOT in a hurry, they have a long lead time.)
    That's why I ask. There's plenty transaxle manufacturers that can have a unit ready in a few weeks. Porsche transxles have ****ty gear ratios in general for anything with some power, and Mendeola is unreasonable with delivery it seems, even after all these years.

I'm guessing at the 5", but an inverted porsche box has the axles center above the crank centerline, and oriented properly, the axles exit below crank center....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If money isn't an issue go with the graziano from the lambo or audi. They're 10k new and then another 5k or so (?) for the additional parts. You can get the gear drop set to change the ratios easily. It's already been used in a GTM and it's stout.
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 12-18-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If money isn't an issue go with the graziano from the lambo or audi. They're 10k new and then another 5k or so (?) for the additional parts. You can get the gear drop set to change the ratios easily. It's already been used in a GTM and it's stout.
    Are you sure about that? I have had a number of people contact me about drop gears for the Graziano. Apparently they are NOT that easy to come by. I would check that out before committing to one of those boxes. I do not offer those gear sets, by the way.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Are you sure about that? I have had a number of people contact me about drop gears for the Graziano. Apparently they are NOT that easy to come by. I would check that out before committing to one of those boxes. I do not offer those gear sets, by the way.
    I thought you did offer them, albeit custom made.Screenshot (21).png
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 12-19-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is fellow on another forum who is having made and selling drop gears for the Graziano. I have a set and am waiting for my Graziano to show up. It's for my next project. http://www.gt40s.com/forum/rcr-forum...rop-gears.html
    Contact J Burer for info.
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought you did offer them, albeit custom made.Screenshot (21).png
    Anything is still doable, but I have not explored the Graziano gear set because lead times on "regular" items have really extended here as everyone has gotten very busy, and no one has actually presented us with a Graziano gear set yet. Simply put, we are busy with other projects, and for the 3 or 4 people that have contacted me, it just wouldn't be cost effective to do these. Is it possible? Yes. Is it currently practical? No. Not from My Race Shop. Glad to see that there is another source out there.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also go with a Mendeola S5B or MD5. They only have a lead time of a few weeks if price is not a problem.
    They make them for Mid or Rear Engine, and range for $10K+
    They will fit the GTM but the rear mount will have to be modified/created
    The S5B is sequential with helical cut gears for smooth shifting

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    That Mendeola lead time of a few weeks, where did you get that? From what I've heard it's months. Once in that price range I'd go with the Graziano.
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 01-01-2018 at 08:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll say I'm right at 5 months from the time I paid my deposit to Mendeola and I'm still waiting. I actually sent them an email yesterday to get an update of my delivery.

In my mind, its all about timing of when you place your orders. Lead times can be a deal breaker for some, but if you time it right, it shouldn't be an issue. I will say I have been in Aerospace Manufacturing for 11+ years, and lead time and proper planning is everything. So I guess I'm used to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by realityisnt View Post
    You can also go with a Mendeola S5B or MD5. They only have a lead time of a few weeks if price is not a problem.
    They make them for Mid or Rear Engine, and range for $10K+
    They will fit the GTM but the rear mount will have to be modified/created
    The S5B is sequential with helical cut gears for smooth shifting
    As for using S5B or MD5 you maybe correct, but those boxes have been around for a while where as the SDR5 was specifically designed for the GTM. If one of those would fit I am sure that would have been evaluated before development of the box, I would hope, but not having spec's for them I can't say. As for lead times you maybe correct for those boxes. But the SDR5 Has always been some time the best time frame that I know of is 90 to 120 days. Which I can tell you from personel experience they are no where near that currently. They can not even meet the time frames they are currently stating. So be prepared to be patient and wait. More than happy to discuss my opinion, send me a pm.

Steve
    Last edited by SteveE; 01-02-2018 at 07:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Check with Delynn at Griffin gearboxes. He has gears for them. PM me if you need an adapter.
    Last edited by txbuilder; 01-02-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the crankshaft centerline height in these cars? And the ride height I see listed as 5", is that at the rear outer frame where the controls arms mount?

5 weeks for a transaxle REALLY, inspires me ot actually work on this thing.

as for Griffin. Are they making boxes for these? apporx price, and delivery time?
    Last edited by Tomak; 01-04-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomak View Post

as for Griffin. Are they making boxes for these? apporx price, and delivery time?
    You will have to contact them. https://griffingearboxes.com/Home.php