Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: '35 Hot Rod Truck Fender Spy Pics

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like

'35 Hot Rod Truck Fender Spy Pics

Now that there is a Hot Rod Truck section on the forum, I figured I'd contribute. The Hot Rod Truck tooling is nearing completion, and I know the guys are getting ready to ship beta cars in the near future. John in Molding has been working hard on the full fenders. He is almost done and getting ready to make molds. Here are a couple of spy shots of the mold plugs for the full fenders on the Hot Rod Truck.

The Hot Rod Truck that was shown at SEMA was an open-wheeled shop truck with no fenders. The production truck that is being built in R&D to finalize the assembly manual will have these full fenders.
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Lovin' it!

Looks great Dave.

Kudos to John and the design team.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw this on FB!...the fenders MAKE this thing...Keep up the great work guys!

Johnny @ Blueprint engines
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePrintEngines View Post
    Just saw this on FB!...the fenders MAKE this thing...Keep up the great work guys!

Johnny @ Blueprint engines
    It does change the look doesn't it. Johnny needs one with a hitch on it in case anyone is paying attention
    I hope that hole at the back means the fuel tank got moved up to the front of the bed so there's more room for a hitch and
    deeper bed storage at the back.
    Dale

Waiting for my 65 Coupe nskaats's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is freaking beautiful!!!
    --Nick Skaats--
    Gen 3 Coupe #80 - LS1/T56 - SCCA Bound
    Link To Album For Updates

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet!
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    It does change the look doesn't it. Johnny needs one with a hitch on it in case anyone is paying attention
    I hope that hole at the back means the fuel tank got moved up to the front of the bed so there's more room for a hitch and
    deeper bed storage at the back.
    Dale
    LOL as we were wrapping up shooting for the upcoming Spike TV show for the truck build, we had a funny conversation about payload capacity,GVW, and how much mulch i can fit in the back. Mine will need a class IV hitch and have to pull my Super Pro Mopar drag car. Oh...i'll need a sleeper cab too, because i'll be living in it after my wife see's me drag home another project.lol

In all seriousness though, this thing looks awesome. I've bounced back and forth from which Factory Five i'd want in my garage (all of them) but this one just snuck to the top of my list.

Johnny- BPE

Post Thanks / Like
    Truck is looking great, cant wait to see some of the builds.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    Now that there is a Hot Rod Truck section on the forum, I figured I'd contribute. The Hot Rod Truck tooling is nearing completion, and I know the guys are getting ready to ship beta cars in the near future. John in Molding has been working hard on the full fenders. He is almost done and getting ready to make molds. Here are a couple of spy shots of the mold plugs for the full fenders on the Hot Rod Truck.
    Jay was kind enough to bring us up on the mezzanine to take a peek of the work in progress last Saturday when I was there picking up my Coupe. It looks awesome!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fenders look great, but if the running boards hang 1-1/2" lower than the frame, you'll have the same problem as the '33 - the body hangs so low that it's impractical to drive. Turning up the spring adjusters is not the answer to the problem.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveS53 View Post
    The fenders look great, but if the running boards hang 1-1/2" lower than the frame, you'll have the same problem as the '33 - the body hangs so low that it's impractical to drive. Turning up the spring adjusters is not the answer to the problem.
    I see you are still continuing to rag on the the hot rod like on the other forum. Are we to expect this to branch over to the '35 truck now too? I'm sure you think you are doing a public service by pointing out any flaws that have been posted by other builders. But I assure you, the FFR community of builders and owners are some of the most brutally honest group of people around and have no fear, when there are issues they will be uncovered and posted for all to see. But the difference is it will be by done by someone who is actually building one and not just reposting third hand information gleaned off the thread of someone else's build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very Excited to see these photos! We are looking forward to getting our hands dirty on our build, The P1X Procharger is ready to make some noise!
    SMG Motoring Inc.
    Custom Performance Vehicles
    www.smgmotoringinc.com
    www.facebook.com/smgmotoring

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its relatively easy to get the running boards moved up on the 33. I was hoping FFR would offer a support frame for the truck running boards that was a bolt in and doesn't hang below the tubing. That would make it a more complete kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    I hope that hole at the back means the fuel tank got moved up to the front of the bed so there's more room for a hitch and deeper bed storage at the back. Dale
    Sure looks like something is going on. Looks like all that other framwork that FFR had going on is somewhat gone....hmmm. I hope they moved the fuel tank fwd as well

I am so glad FFR went with the '35 fenders and not the '33. I know somewhere in a past thread either someone or a few people mentioned maybe the '33 fenders.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    Its relatively easy to get the running boards moved up on the 33. I was hoping FFR would offer a support frame for the truck running boards that was a bolt in and doesn't hang below the tubing. That would make it a more complete kit.
    A support frame would be nice, kind of what Dale aka myjones did with his 33.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    I see you are still continuing to rag on the the hot rod like on the other forum. Are we to expect this to branch over to the '35 truck now too? I'm sure you think you are doing a public service by pointing out any flaws that have been posted by other builders. But I assure you, the FFR community of builders and owners are some of the most brutally honest group of people around and have no fear, when there are issues they will be uncovered and posted for all to see. But the difference is it will be by done by someone who is actually building one and not just reposting third hand information gleaned off the thread of someone else's build.
    I seriously need to look into a "Like" function.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    David, great idea!!!!!
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post

The Truck Running boards will be supported and hold a person stepping into the pickup. I don't know what the weight rating will be, I am sure it will be sufficient.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    This complaint comes from actual builders of the '33. You should read some of the build threads on the ffcars forum.One builder then complained about how his attempt to raise the front fouled up the A- arm geometry. There is no way to raise the car properly without major rework of the frame.

Sorry if my being wise enough not to buy such a flawed kit disturbs you. I'm a veteran of a 3000 hour car build
    (NOT A KIT) that had a
    great many problems, including major rework of the front suspension. I had no one to ask for advice and fixed all of the issues myself. Once in awhile I can pass on info to help others solve build problems, like the crappy power window setup on the '33.

As a mechanical engineer and machinist I have better credentials than the average builder.

See the link below. My car is #15.

https://www.good-guys.com/homebuilt17

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    DaveS53,

I don't understand your motivation. What are you doing here? Seems to me you love to subtly convince people FFR can't compete with your NOT A KIT (Fiberglass body notwithstanding) car. This is CLEARLY a FFR forum (as is FFCars, a competing site you love to mention)...

I'm starting to really wonder if you belong here at all.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    David, where is the like button? lol
    CVOBill

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    DaveS53,

I don't understand your motivation. What are you doing here? Seems to me you love to subtly convince people FFR can't compete with your NOT A KIT (Fiberglass body notwithstanding) car. This is CLEARLY a FFR forum (as is FFCars, a competing site you love to mention)...

Helping people who don't have any experience, few fab skills, few tools and a poor work space complete a car.

You don't see me advertising the company that sold me my poorly made not a kit car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveS53 View Post
    Helping people who don't have any experience, few fab skills, few tools and a poor work space complete a car.

You don't see me advertising the company that sold me my poorly made not a kit car.
    Factory Five was built around people who don't; have fab skills. Don't have any experience and most do not have 3000 or more square foot facility to build a car in.

These care were never intended to be built be mechanical engineers and they don't take 3000 hours to build.

There are literally 10's of thousands of people who have successfully built and enjoyed their Factory Five cars.

Comparing your 3000 hour build to a kit car that can be purchased by anyone, and assembled and enjoyed by that same anyone, is simply not realistic.

IF these cars took 3000 hours to build, or FFR engineered them to snap together, the would cost $100,000 a copy and no one would drive them.

I can's speak for others, but I personally respect your rights to voice your opinion but I don't think you have done much to earn the respect of the FFR community you come here to berate.

Additionally I learned a long time ago that if you see a problem, Offer a solution. IF all you want to do is complain and bemoan an issue, you are part of the problem not the solution .

I am sure your car is beautiful, I am also sure that if anyone spent 40 hours a week working on their FFR for 75 weeks(3000 hours divided by a 40 hour week) their car would compete against your and do very well.

I am also pretty sure that if anyone spent $300,000 on their FFR it would be pretty nice (this is the equivalent of 3000 hours of labor at $100, not including parts)

This a forum of connected people, who help each other, praise each other and have a great hobby.. We don't belittle each other and we don't berate FFR for bringing our dreams to reality.

Have you been to FFR? Its a good group of people doing good things and working with their customers to help them build their dreams.

Take a deep breath, A reality check, and get over your self.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

24. Likes Jwheels liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    DaveS53,

Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    Factory Five was built around people who don't; have fab skills. Don't have any experience and most do not have 3000 or more square foot facility to build a car in.

These care were never intended to be built be mechanical engineers and they don't take 3000 hours to build.

There are literally 10's of thousands of people who have successfully built and enjoyed their Factory Five cars.

Comparing your 3000 hour build to a kit car that can be purchased by anyone, and assembled and enjoyed by that same anyone, is simply not realistic.

IF these cars took 3000 hours to build, or FFR engineered them to snap together, the would cost $100,000 a copy and no one would drive them.

I can's speak for others, but I personally respect your rights to voice your opinion but I don't think you have done much to earn the respect of the FFR community you come here to berate.

Additionally I learned a long time ago that if you see a problem, Offer a solution. IF all you want to do is complain and bemoan an issue, you are part of the problem not the solution .

I am sure your car is beautiful, I am also sure that if anyone spent 40 hours a week working on their FFR for 75 weeks(3000 hours divided by a 40 hour week) their car would compete against your and do very well.

I am also pretty sure that if anyone spent $300,000 on their FFR it would be pretty nice (this is the equivalent of 3000 hours of labor at $100, not including parts)

This a forum of connected people, who help each other, praise each other and have a great hobby.. We don't belittle each other and we don't berate FFR for bringing our dreams to reality.

Have you been to FFR? Its a good group of people doing good things and working with their customers to help them build their dreams.

Take a deep breath, A reality check, and get over your self.
    Well said guys. [Sound of me also pushing the like button.]

Dave, no matter how well-intentioned you think you're being, it comes across completely wrong. These most recent posts make it pretty clear why. "Sorry if my being wise enough not to buy such a flawed kit disturbs you..." "As a mechanical engineer and machinist I have better credentials than the average builder..." "Helping people who don't have any experience, few fab skills, few tools and a poor work space complete a car..." The list could go on from this thread and others from both forums.

There's a wide range of experience, skills, and building situations here. Beginners to experts. Single car garages to pro level shops. The common thread to all is we've put our hard earned money on the line and decided to build Factory Five products. No, they're not perfect, but constantly evolving. They are the most entrepreneurial and customer focused company I've ever been around. They give me a chance to do something I couldn't do otherwise and give me a final product that I'm proud to own and operate. I'm interested in helping, sharing experiences, and being helped. Not being told I made a bad decision or that I'm not good enough. Not sure why you think anyone would come here to hear that.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-11-2018 at 03:37 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    DaveS53,

I don't know David, I think we may have found this years recipient for the Fedderson Award.
    Frank

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before I bought my first FFR kit. The 33 Hot Rod I met a guy locally who built one with a Coyote engine. Sort of a rat rod motif. All he had to say was terrible things about the kit, FFR and so on. I was a little worried because I already ordered my kit. The long and short of this story is in all 9 of my build threads. The kits IMO are great but not perfect. Sorta like me. The FFR people are fantastic for me to deal with. This forum is awesome for its help, ideas and camaraderie. If you do not like the FFR kits, fine post your thought s once and be done. I for one don't want to constantly hear how you think they are not to your liking. Go to some other place to *****. Sorry for the rant but I am tired of the negativity.
    Last edited by wallace18; 01-11-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    before i bought my first ffr kit. The 33 hot rod i met a guy locally who built one with a coyote engine. Sort of a rat rod motif. All he had to say was terrible things about the kit, ffr and so on. I was a little worried because i already ordered my kit. The long and short of this story is in all 9 of my build threads. The kits imo are great but not perfect. Sorta like me. The ffr people are fantastic for me to deal with. This forum is awesome for its help, ideas and camaraderie. If you do not like the ffr kits, fine post your thought s once and be done. I for one don't want to constantly hear how you think they are not to your liking. Go to some other place to *****. Sorry for the rant but i am tired of the negativity.
    like, like, like...
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right on Tom, you nailed it exactly. What the kit lacks in precision is more than made up with the expertise in the forum to help us less than expert builders finish a complex project with reasonable results. I may take 3-4 times the time an experienced builder takes to build my car, I'm sure with everyone's help I'll get it done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMG Fred View Post
    Very Excited to see these photos! We are looking forward to getting our hands dirty on our build, The P1X Procharger is ready to make some noise!
    With a Blueprint engine!!!!!!!!! Excited to see the final product.

Johnny @ BluePrint

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the bed and tailgate metal or fiberglass? I heard it was steel. Has anyone seen it in person to verify? After looking at the build photos on the FFR website it looks like wheel spacers will for sure be needed in the rear. No problem for me. I am getting very anxious for the release. Can't wait to get started. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Is the bed and tailgate metal or fiberglass? I heard it was steel. Has anyone seen it in person to verify? After looking at the build photos on the FFR website it looks like wheel spacers will for sure be needed in the rear. No problem for me. I am getting very anxious for the release. Can't wait to get started. LOL.
    At SEMA, they told me the bed sides and tailgate were steel because they wanted you to be able to lean up against them. They also said that the SEMA truck was a prototype and to not take anything from it as an absolute.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Dam that truck loos great and the bad thing is I am just getting around to order my 33 kit. Now I will have to get the truck when I finish the 33. Always something to do.