BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: IRS center section skewed toward passenger side

Post Thanks / Like

IRS center section skewed toward passenger side

Hello,

I have never posted a question before. I have read a lot of threads and received a lot of help from many of the members concerning my build through your builds. Thank you! I do have a question:

I installed my center section for the IRS and it is skewed slightly to the passenger side. The bushing sleeves for the front mounts are not sitting identical. They are both about 2 millimeters too long. The drivers side the extra 2 mm is located directly on the nut. The passenger side extra 2mm is located between the center section and the bushing. The is skewing the center section towards the passenger side and putting the drive shaft extremely close to the ebrake bracket.

I know I could grind down the ebrake bracket but will the skew cause a problem with the driveshaft? I did not notice this until after I assembled the rear suspension. I would love to post pictures but I do not have enough posts yet.

Thank you for your help,

Jim

PS - 347 Carb, Gas-n Touring pipes, IRS, Willwoods, vintage gauges, dual roll bars, heater, heated seats, padded dash, and other mods.

Post Thanks / Like
    The entire driveline is offset to the passenger (right) side. So that part is normal. Is the e-brake bracket your talking about the bracket with two holes that cables go through? If so, I had to trim that back slightly on one of my builds. No big deal. I think it's hand placed during assembly at FF and there's some variability. There shouldn't be an issue with the driveshaft and whatever offset you're seeing, which I'm guessing is normal anyway. Also, don't forget on an IRS setup, the driveshaft doesn't move. The diff and driveshaft are fixed. So as long as there's "reasonable" clearance it's not going to hit anything in operation. Pictures would be useful to confirm what you're describing.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.