Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Carb Tuning - I think I am close!

Post Thanks / Like

Carb Tuning - I think I am close!

Hey Gang,

I purchased the Innovate LM-2 with the exhaust clamp to read my AFR. I want to share my results and make sure I adjust my carb in the right direction. Here are the specs on my motor and the results of my AFR readings.

Specs:
    302 with GT40P heads, B303, QuickFuel 600cfm carb with vacuum secondaries. My initial timing is 8*. My total timing is 33*. I know my initial seems a little low, but I set it there because I was more concerning about my total timing being safe while tuning. I plan to raise my initial to 10 or 12* and put limiters in my dizzy to keep it between 32 and 34*.

AFR readings:
    Cruise: perfect. between 14.5 and 15.0

Part Throttle: Was seeing a lean condition. Started by spiking to 20.0ish when rolling into it, then settling around 16.0 (I already went up 2 jet sizes before doing this test because part throttle was driving like crap)

Full throttle: Pulls great, but is rich at 11.7

What to do: I plan to go down two jet sizes on my secondaries to lean out the wide open throttle. Shooting for 12.5. For my part throttle, this is where I am a little confused. Should I go up in main jet size? Or accelerator pump?

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottie

The cruise/part throttle seems lean to me I have my efi cruise set to about 13.4 and wot at 12.2

Rick
    Last edited by Itchief; 01-13-2018 at 11:25 PM.
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    For my part throttle I need to determine if the initial lean spike is caused by not enough accelerator pump or main jet size

Post Thanks / Like
    Cruise AFR looks bang on to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good thread here that might help you. Scott
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...g-101-a-2.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgoode View Post
    Good thread here that might help you. Scott
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...g-101-a-2.html
    Agree 100%. Wayne's Carb Tuning 101 thread is a great resource. This link starts on page 1: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...ing-101-a.html. What this thread describes, and what I see missing from your work so far, is carb tuning is a methodical process that goes through each circuit in the proper sequence. This was a big point of understanding for me when I tried my hand at carb tuning. Each circuit builds on the previous. Swapping out main jets is near last in line. Your LM-2 (same thing I've used) makes the process pretty straightforward.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys! Much appreciated. I will be going through that thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Both the spike to 20 and the settle to 16 are way lean. I'd maybe do the pump first mainly because you don't need to take much apart. But first verify that there is no play in the linkage. It must squirt w/ the tiniest throttle movement.
    https://www.holley.com/blog/post/how...y_carburetors/
    You may need a different cam too. but check which color is on there as some of them have two possible mounting positions which affect how much they squirt. The cams are cheap and common enough that you may be able to find them locally if there are any old school speed shops around. Also be aware that if you go up in nozzle size, w/ no other changes, you get a bigger squirt that doesn't last as long.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.