Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Used take-out Coyote (or Voodoo) for your FFR

Post Thanks / Like

Used take-out Coyote (or Voodoo) for your FFR

I visited a place in De Witt, IA this weekend and had a chance to talk with Eric, the owner, about buying a used take-out engine / trans combination for my upcoming station wagon project. For those who haven't seen my post in the off-topic builds, I'm in the process of buying a '64 Ford Country Squire (basically a wagon version of the full-size Galaxie) with the intention of, shall we say, upgrading the drivetrain. My plan is to install a low-mileage Coyote with a six-speed manual to replace the 390 with three-on-the-tree currently in the car.

To that end, I've been cruising the internet and came across Midway Mustang on eBay and decided to go check them out since they are fairly close to my house. I was surprised to find that it's a small shop, not some big wrecking operation, and all they do is break down late-model Mustangs. Eric gave me a tour and they had a dozen or more late-model drivetrain set-ups on pallets, including two Voodoo engine/trans combinations from the current GT350!!! He even said that later this year he'll probably be selling the Coyote with the new 10-speed auto that is just coming out in the '18s.

It sounds like his pallet combos will provide me with everything I need to do the transplant, so I will likely be paying him another visit once I seal the deal on the '64.

I don't have an affiliation with Midway Mustangs or Eric, but I was impressed enough to want to share the info with all of you here that may be considering going the "donor" route for your Coyote (or Voodoo) build.

Here's a pic of one of the Voodoo's that he has available (this one has had its cats removed, but the other one still has them....

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if the ford performance power module is compatible with the Voodoo.. It would obviously require a custom tune, but if it were at least compatible that would be awesome

Post Thanks / Like
    He said that he provides the main ECU and all other controls to make the engine basically a runner on the pallet. Would be cool in an FFR, for sure. A bit buzzy at 8250 rpm, but I really love that engine in my GT350.... could only imagine what it'd be like in a car that is only 60% of the weight.

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Did he give any indication what the Voodoo engine would cost? Since I have all the parts to make a 5.0 version of it, maybe I could put that in the F100 project I want to do next and use a real Voodoo for the Coupe
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by q4stix View Post
    Did he give any indication what the Voodoo engine would cost? Since I have all the parts to make a 5.0 version of it, maybe I could put that in the F100 project I want to do next and use a real Voodoo for the Coupe
    They have two on their website. Both $19K.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    For comparison, I've heard from a couple guys who have had engine warranty issues on their GT350s that their replacement engines (basically just the engine alone), which aren't even available for sale through Ford (yet), were something like $25k-plus.

If the complete pallets he has (including transmission) are in good shape, that's one heck of a deal.... even though it's still a lot of money.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    19 large is a hefty price tag for HP and torque as per Ford specs. My dyno specs on a crate 2012 Coyote weren't much below that, and at less than 1/2 the cost. Unless you have specific need for the flat-plain, there's lots of untapped HP in the Coyote waiting to be let out of the pen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    19 large is a hefty price tag for HP and torque as per Ford specs. My dyno specs on a crate 2012 Coyote weren't much below that, and at less than 1/2 the cost. Unless you have specific need for the flat-plain, there's lots of untapped HP in the Coyote waiting to be let out of the pen.
    Agreed, which is why I'm likely to buy one of his Coyote pallets for my '64 wagon project and get a sub-10k mile set up for around 7500 bucks. Will add a supercharger if I want more beans.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow... I'll stick with my 5.0l Coyote/Voodoo mix. I'm under Coyote crate motor price for a engine, upgraded GT350 heads, the flat plane crank, and forged pistons and rods. If/when I get this all running, I'm guessing I could be at 3 engines this way for the price of a real Voodoo or the 5.2XS
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased the full IRS from a 2017 GT with 160 miles from Eric for my Roadster build. He's a great guy and I feel his prices are very reasonable.
    Picked up at factory Sept. 2017. First start April 2020. Licensed April 2021.
    408w, AFR heads, Sniper fuel injection system, TKO 600, 2017 IRS, 17” Halibrands, Wilwood brakes, heater, leather heated seats, dual roll bars.