Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Please help me decide which forum custom mods are highly recommend

Post Thanks / Like

Please help me decide which forum custom mods are highly recommend

Hi everyone,

This is my second thread other than my
    build thread I just started also on this very helpful forum!

As I wait for my mk4 from steward to be delivered I am in the planning stages of a putting a list together of must do mods and tips.

I see from the reading threads that everone does custom things here and there, but what I would like is an idea of the 'essential' mods and tip to hopefully give the car an upgrade in reliability and possibly speed up my build time by posting the link to the mod instruction that you spill info on.

For example here’s some things I already have in mind and I hope you can add on to my list

Mods:
    Front Battery Box - edited
    Hood Hinges "breeze"
    Seat mounts "breeze"
    Door panels
    Door latch mod
    Threaded Joint Adapter nuts for rear body mount
    Possibly upper ball joints “Edwardb thread” - edited

My FFR order build specs:

MKIV Roadster base kit
    Powder coated chassis
    3 Link rear suspension
    Krc Coyote power steering rack kit from FFR
    Body cutouts
    Wind Wings
    Sun Visors
    Padded dash with console
    Assembled side Louvers
    Big and tall seat upgrade
    Wilwood big brake kit with black calipers
    Roll bar grommets
    Leather steering wheel
    Wilwood pedal box
    Gps gauge set
    Battery cut off switch
    Roaster cooling package From FFR
    Efi fuel setup from FFR
    Fuel tank setup from FFR
    Ron Francis harness
    Bunch of buttons and switches
    17x9
    17x10.5
    Tko 600
    Coyote

Thank you
    Kevin
    Last edited by Bayfunktionkev; 01-14-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously I should do some more research on my own, but if someone could explain what is better about the above modifications than the factory 5 provided solutions, that would be nice to have in this thread.

Personally, I am wondering about what specifically is better about the breeze hood hinges from "stock"

This sort of information would make a great FAQ question or at least make this thread a good reference for others in a similar position.

TYo add to yoru list, a lot of people are happy with the drop trunk mod and column mount turn signals, both from Russ Thompson i believe. I plan to add the turn signals to my build, still undecided on the trunk kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    According to FFMetal the drop battery box will not work in the MK4 being produced now. That may be only with the IRS suspension but I would call and check. My kit delivered Feb last year was able to use it but not the the kit I got last month.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slpro1207 View Post
    According to FFMetal the drop battery box will not work in the MK4 being produced now. That may be only with the IRS suspension but I would call and check. My kit delivered Feb last year was able to use it but not the the kit I got last month.
    It does work with the 3-link, can't comment on the IRS. My MK4 was delivered in June of 2017.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    With Coyote there is plenty of room for the Breeze front battery mount. Personally of all the mods I did I find that to be the most functional both for ease of install and shorter electrical runs as well as for the space it frees up in the trunk.
    One I did not do that I wish I would have is the trunk floor mod to add the extra space.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Mods and changes are very subjective. Depends on what you want, how far you want to go from a stock build, your budget, your time, and probably more. I've said this several times, but will say it again: A stock "by the book build" is still an excellent build. I honestly can't think of one mod that is because the design is defective in some way. Just ways to make it custom, more features, more comfortable, etc. Plus I think it's a fun part of the build. But much of it is still a matter of opinion. Having said that, responses to each:

FFmetal Battery Box with Optima: The stock location for the battery is on the shelf in the trunk. Because trunk space is limited, and there's available space, common to put the battery somewhere else. The FFMetal rear mount and the Breeze front mount are two common options. Use of an Optima battery is personal choice.

Hood Hinges "breeze": Personally, I don't think is necessary. Like all of Mark's stuff, it's nice. Early Factory Five's didn't come with hinges. So aftermarket hinges were common. But now they're standard from Factory Five and I find the stock hinges work just fine. The reasons cited to use this hinge now are more authentic (yea, probably) and to eliminate interference with the top radiator mounting. If the stock mounting is used, interference is unlikely. I haven't had any issues with that. If the Breeze top radiator mount is used, maybe it requires more space. I haven't used (or thought I needed) the additional top radiator mount. I do, however, highly recommend the Breeze lower radiator mount.

Seat mounts "breeze": The stock setup is fixed, bolted to the floor. Some what a sliding seat. Plus the Breeze mount elevates and angles the seat a bit, which some want.

Door panels: The stock setup is the bare door. Looks more finished with a panel. Plus the extra storage of the pockets typically on the panels is welcome.

Door latch mod: The reproduction latches are spotty in quality and can be improved with a little TLC and a hardware store carriage bolt. No brainer.

Threaded Joint Adapter nuts for rear body mount: Eliminates having to drop the fuel tank to reach the rear body mount quick jack bolts. Another no brainer with hardware store parts.

Possibly upper tie rods “Edwardb thread”: This has my name on it, but not sure what it might be. I've had kind of a love/hate relationship with the supplied upper ball joints. The supplied ball joint fit into the upper control arms can be challenging. I used them once. Replaced them a couple times. Personal choice plus a measure of your patience. (I obviously came up short. ). I also happen to like a specific Moog tie rod end vs. the kit supplied ones. Talked about in my build threads. But again, strictly a personal choice and by no means required.

One other comment. Mention is made in a subsequent post about a "drop trunk mod." There's available space on the LH side of the Mustang tank below the stock trunk floor. Many take advantage of this space, again because of the limited trunk space. Russ Thompson makes a box to put there after cutting a hole in the stock trunk floor. Or you can make one yourself with a little bit of fabrication. There are frame pieces that go across this new opening. Some cut them out and weld new pieces so the box is 100% open. I don't weld plus I prefer not to cut the Factory Five designed frame. So I leave the pieces in place. IMO, it's still very functional. Not wanting to start a debate on the subject. Just my preference.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-14-2018 at 02:15 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another mod I knew I wanted from the beginning was the Tangent roll bar hidden third leg attachment system. I didn't want the bolt showing. Other options are the Breeze roll bars that are highly reviewed by many builders.

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Everson's front sheetmetal + Breeze upper section (not pictured) will seal all the air coming into the front opening to the radiator. Helps cooling & looks a lot better IMHO then the multi piece FFR parts. Also a Nomex honeycomb screen painted black will keep the radiator from picking up stones & other dings.
    There is also an under radiator support piece that I used. Can't remember the source but it was one of the guys who advertises here.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-14-2018 at 02:08 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the mention Kevin. I sell tons of those. Too bad they are so expensive to ship.
    I would also recommend the front mount Breeze battery mount. I use it in all my builds.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Overflow Tank

Possibly debatable but those of us using it found the FFR overflow part not doing the job have had 100% success with a MOROSO replacement. My COYOTE lost coolant on a regular basis with the FFR overflow tank. I went to a larger tank that was the same design as the FFR supplied unit but continued to have the same problem.

Bought a MOROSO tank from Summit Racing that mimics the stock Mustang GT tank plumbing but in alloy instead of plastic. In 7,000 miles & two full Carolina summers have not lost or added a drop of coolant. Normal temp 180*F stuck in traffic 205*F. This is without a shroud on the fan side of the radiator. Have one but so far have never gotten around to installing it. If I had the internal shroud before I had the body on would have installed it. Will put it on when I do a general upgrade.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-14-2018 at 02:26 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Edward I meant the upper front ball joints. Edited that in my post and thank you for the input

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Thanks for the mention Kevin. I sell tons of those. Too bad they are so expensive to ship.
    I would also recommend the front mount Breeze battery mount. I use it in all my builds.
    Mike

I really like that front sheet metal. Will contact you soon sir =)

Post Thanks / Like
    One more very common modification from the kit is to do a double brake reservoir separating your front and rear systems. This adds some safety by ensuring you will still have some braking in the event that a line or other failure occurs. Some find a second reservoir to match the one in the kit and others buy different setups like the CNC offered by Forte's or similar setups from other non-sponsor sources.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two others to consider but I am not familiar with the Coyote setup to know if they apply:

1. Power Steering; and,
    2. Hydraulic Clutch ... from Fortes.
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    I gotta say. My wife and I love the heated seats. Totally worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Drop trunk, forward battery mount, dual CNC brake reservoirs, Breeze radiator shroud, door panels, heated seats, and Russ Thompson gas pedal have my vote.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Upper and lower radiator mounts, fan shroud, upper and lower stainless radiator hoses from Breeze. The surround for the air intake opening Mike Everson makes is a nice upgrade along with his under dash panel. Either battery box depending on your rear end choice is nice. A dropped extension of the trunk floor will give more room. Russ Thompson turn signals and accel pedal are good upgrades. Forte's hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage work well with these cars. Breeze sells side mirrors that give a much improved rear view and moving the rear view mirror to the top of the windshield is a bonus. I purchased Breeze seat adjustable risers but couldn't use them. I'm only 5"11" but my knees hit the bottom of the dash when trying to work the pedals. Heated seats are a must for the wife. You'll also find that the stainless coolant overflow tank FFR sends will be full at normal temp and nearly empty when cold. Would recommend a different tank there and one with a sight glass. Many things you can do to these cars. What's important is what's right for you. Good luck.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ride Thompson Turn Signal

Not sure if it was already mentioned but the Russ Thompson turn signal assembly really finished the steering column nicely and functions perfectly.

Competition dash. This was a big deal for me. I never understood why FFR puts a street dash in a competition 427 s/c Cobra.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Edward, mods are very subjective. With that said I recommend Russe’s turn signal because who wants to use a dash toggle switch for turn signals. Everything else depends on your preference and state laws.