Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dan Gurney passing

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dan Gurney passing

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (AP) -- Dan Gurney, the first driver with victories in each of the Formula One, IndyCar and NASCAR Cup series, died Sunday from complications of pneumonia. He was 86.

"With one last smile on his handsome face, Dan drove off into the unknown just before noon today," said the statement signed by Evi Gurney, the Gurney family and AAR teammates.

"In deepest sorrow, with gratitude in our hearts for the love and joy you have given us during your time on this earth, we say, `Godspeed."

“If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan was always one of my favorites, as a driver (LeMan '64, Daytona Coupe w/Bondurant), builder, team owner, innovator! Heaven is a better place today with Dan in attendance.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    RIP Dan.

I just watched "The 24 Hour War" on Amazon this past weekend. Lots of vintage footage and great interviews not only with the folks involved in the Cobra, Daytona, and GT40 programs, but with Ferrari, too.
    Gen 3 Coupe #68, Ordered 10/23/17, Picked up 01/06/18

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A customer on Facebook mentioned how Factory Five is continuing to build cars of this legacy. I wrote, truth is that we are all standing on the shoulders of giants like Dan. Our obligation as a company is to do our very best to deserve the legacy he handed down to us. I understand that Factory Five Racing isn't a company that some MBA puke puts a price tag on, and it doesnt exist for the sole benefit of the owners. Dan Gurney taught me that leadership is service and obligation. Factory Five has a debt to pay to people who came before us and to our customers. We pay that debt by building machines, racing the machines we built, building friendship, fellowship and community, and by keeping the spirit of amercian motorsports in our hearts. In today's world of smack-talking pro athletes and social media where everyone is so self-important, Dan Gurney stands out in abject stark contrast. He did it all and was the last one to brag. I asked him who he thought was the greatest race car driver of all-time (the obvious answer was himself). He said his toughest competitor and greatest driver of all-time was Davey MacDonald. Dan Gurney was a class act and in a class all by himself.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Godspeed, Dan.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of Americas finest IMO. I was fortunate to meet him several times when I raced IMSA in the 1980's. Great guy!

Post Thanks / Like
    A fitting tribute.....

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    After reading what Dave Smith had to say I couldn't be more proud to own a FFR Roadster. Well said.

Post Thanks / Like
    From my favorite sports writer, Ryan McGee (@ESPNMcGee):

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/st...ns-sports-cars

"I've always told people that all you need to know about Dan Gurney you can see in this photo from Riverside '56."

Dan Gurney at Riverside CA 1956 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313