Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Got the wife's blessing

Post Thanks / Like

Got the wife's blessing

Big milestone for me today. I have been thinking about building my own car for quite a while and over the course of the last week been able to get my wife interested and supportive as well. So... we're in!

Just to share a tiny bit on me. I started my car obsession with 60's Mustangs when I was a teenager pumping gas and doing minor automotive work. At 16, I was able to convince my uncle who builds/races cars to help me put a custom motor (nothing fancy but it whet my appetite) in my ride way back then. Shelby's and the Cobra were pure fantasy. And now, to be on close to building my own, wow...

So my questions (after having read at least 5 different build threads and tons in the forums):
    1. Tall folks - can a 6' 4" guy fit in these?
    2. Seattle, WA area builders - anyone around here?

Really looking forward to this experience. I intend to share my order list before soon, so I can get it right before I order...

Thanks in advance
    -B

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome. Just took the car for a ride today. Need help. I'll come up to Seattle next nice day take you for a ride and talk factory five. Jim
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim - thanks for the welcome man, I am happy to head south to meet you if that works for u as well. Can't wait to complete my build plan and get the order in!

-B

Post Thanks / Like
    Book a flight to the huntington beach cruise in. Best money I've spent. Wife went from oh my god that thing doesn't have a roof to picking out specific upgrades we needed to include. 150 examples of different builds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you can fit, seat selection and pedal set up is critical. Let me know if I can help. I am 6'3.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Gordon - I was planning to get the Big and Tall seats from FFR. For pedal setup, I haven't really contemplated much. Any advice on what worked for u is welcome.
    -B

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the date for the cruise in?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Fabb,

I am 6'7" and 280 lbs. I have made modifications that helped.

I used a small block which leaves room to move the foot box wall to the right toward the engine, this gave room to flip the way the throttle pedal is assembled moving it to the right. The wilwood pedal box give easy adjustment to pedal location.

I used spacers under the upper bearing on the steering shaft which moves the steering wheel up giving more knee room and easier in and out.

Don't bother with the Big and Tall roadster seats, they aren't big and tall enough. I used the Kirkey low back seats, 17" width. They are mounted to the floor and all the way back to the rear bulkhead.

The end result is not a "roomy" car but comfortable, I have not problem driving for several hours at a time.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    John - wow, great details, thanks so much. I was initially leaning toward the small block, but after reading EdwardB's build thread, I have been strongly tempted by the modern Coyote...

I will dig in on the Wilwood pedals, got a part number u used? Same on the Kirkey's, did u order the FFR ones, or separately (and part #)?

Thanks again
    -B

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Fabb,
    I'm 6'6", 220. You can modify the Wilwood pedals that come in the complete kit. John is correct, 17" Kirkeys are the way to go. They make 16", 17" and 18" wide. I got the 17's from Summit. I'm building with the Coyote. I've done quite a bit of sheet medal work to make for a better fit. I've documented it in my build thread. Link in my signature line. It is easier to do with the small block but it is possible with the Coyote if you don't mind doing some extra modification. Modifying the Coyote gas pedal to match the modified brake and clutch pedal was challenging but it worked out.

Welcome to the party
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 6'3" and also recommend the Kirkeys. The big and tall seats you sit ON, the kirkeys you sit more IN which gives you extra leg room. As Steve mentioned above the 17" are a great option. I did the 16" seat width that FFR sells. I am about 215 and it is a snug fit. Had I known the 17" width was an option at the time of order I would have got those. The 18" is to wide for the Cobra without getting into some serious modification. Most people think high back seats when they use the Kirkeys. If you do not like that seat they also make a low back version. I have sat in those as well and they are quite a bit more comfortable than I suspected they would be.

High back:
    https://www.summitracing.com/itemgro...ce-seats/?ar=1

Low back
    https://www.summitracing.com/itemgro...et-seats/?ar=1

Option 3 does not have the should bolsters. Generally you have to bend the outside shoulder bolster on the normal seats so they don't interfere with the body
    https://www.summitracing.com/itemgro...ag-seats/?ar=1

I also did a removable steering wheel to make getting in and out a little easier. Got that part from Breeze. Turns out now that I am used to getting in and out I never take the wheel off so that does make things a little easier but isn't necessary by any means.

Lots of info in my build thread about how I mounted the seats. Spent a lot of time on this. Link in my signature and post #1 has an index so you can find it.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get the road race seats from FFR but confirm they have 17s available. These are the ones
    https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product...BACK-ROAD-RACE
    You could also get the classic style
    https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product...E-CLASS-BUCKET
    One last option is in between w/ a headrest but no shoulder wings
    https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product...RO-STREET-DRAG
    Scroll down a little and look at the shop drawings. The base of the seats are all identical. Think of starting w/ the classic and adding a headrest = drag seat and then add wings = road race. The key to these is the back is thin so you sit as far back as possible. One other mod to consider is cutting the fiberglass behind the seats. You could get maybe an inch of extra rearward movement. Welcome and good luck!
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll echo those who have suggested the Kirkey seats. If you're going for an old-school look, then you can have them covered to match the original style seats. I did some modifications to mine to remove some of the severe bolstering and reshape them a bit so they are easier to get in and out of, as well as to make them look a bit older. I then had a local upholstery shop make leather covers and install a combination of high and medium density foam for comfort - as well as inflatable lumbar support and seat heaters. Mine are on Breeze Automotive seat platforms (which provide a bit more tilt-back) as well as an additional shim to get a bit more lift at the front. The backs are mounted to the rear bulkhead cross tube using cut-down Kirkey brackets. This resulted in a very solid mounting and I've had no issues with them.

Here are a couple links to my seat mod threads...

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ets-(Low-Back)

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ather-Covering

And here's a pic of the final product....

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
    I was initially leaning toward the small block, but after reading EdwardB's build thread, I have been strongly tempted by the modern Coyote...

I will dig in on the Wilwood pedals, got a part number u used? Same on the Kirkey's, did u order the FFR ones, or separately (and part #)?

Thanks again
    -B
    You wouldn't be sorry with a Coyote. I haven't heard of anyone that was sorry they used it, including me. Simply awesome in these cars. The latest sheet metal from Factory Five gives basically the same footbox space as a stock small block build. Didn't used to be the case, and guys (again including me) had to do mods so they weren't giving up space. But that's standard now. There are several options on how to deal with the drive by wire (DBW) accelerator used by the Coyote. The provided Ford stock piece can be made to work. There's another Ford part that's a bit more compact. There's also an aftermarket piece from Lokar. Pricey but even more compact with multiple pedal options.

A small block is cool too, and certainly gives more space in the engine compartment. You can mod the latest sheet metal to get even more footbox space with a small block. But not sure that would be necessary for you.

The Wilwood pedal box, now standard, has the adjustment guys I think are referring to. The box itself can't be easily moved around, but the pads on the pedals can be put in different positions or replaced with other parts to maximize space for your feet and shoe size. In any case it's never going to have as much space as your DD and you'll need to watch what shoes you wear. Many guys go to a driving shoe. I don't have especially big feet (10-1/2 wide) but found some athletic shoes at a local sports store that are narrower than all my other shoes and still comfortable. Makes a big difference and the only thing I use when driving.

Can't help you with seats. I have no experience with the Kirkey's in any flavor. The big and tall Roadster seats are now their standard BTW. They no longer sell the previous version.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-16-2018 at 08:43 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, what edwardb said. The wilwoods have movable pedal faces. I moved the throttle pedal to the right about one and a half inches, the brake to the right about one inch and the clutch to the left about an inch. Now I don't worry about hitting two pedals at once and I still have room for a dead pedal.

The Wilwoods come with the complete kit.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Hi Fabb,
    I'm 6'6", 220. You can modify the Wilwood pedals that come in the complete kit. John is correct, 17" Kirkeys are the way to go. They make 16", 17" and 18" wide. I got the 17's from Summit. I'm building with the Coyote. I've done quite a bit of sheet medal work to make for a better fit. I've documented it in my build thread. Link in my signature line. It is easier to do with the small block but it is possible with the Coyote if you don't mind doing some extra modification. Modifying the Coyote gas pedal to match the modified brake and clutch pedal was challenging but it worked out.

Welcome to the party
    -Steve
    Excellent, added your build link to my reading list.

Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I am 6'3" and also recommend the Kirkeys. The big and tall seats you sit ON, the kirkeys you sit more IN which gives you extra leg room. As Steve mentioned above the 17" are a great option.
    Lots of info in my build thread about how I mounted the seats. Spent a lot of time on this. Link in my signature and post #1 has an index so you can find it.
    Awesome, I will read that and thanks for the links and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    You can get the road race seats from FFR but confirm they have 17s available.
    Welcome and good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    I'll echo those who have suggested the Kirkey seats. If you're going for an old-school look, then you can have them covered to match the original style seats.
    CraigS and Gumball (and others) - sounds like Kirkey is the bet, i am interested in the old school look you have in your pic Gumball. I will check your links as well.

To confirm on the seats, are you saying ordering the Kirkey upgrade from FFR or order separately?

Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    You wouldn't be sorry with a Coyote. I haven't heard of anyone that was sorry they used it, including me. Simply awesome in these cars. The latest sheet metal from Factory Five gives basically the same footbox space as a stock small block build. Didn't used to be the case, and guys (again including me) had to do mods so they weren't giving up space. But that's standard now. There are several options on how to deal with the drive by wire (DBW) accelerator used by the Coyote. The provided Ford stock piece can be made to work. There's another Ford part that's a bit more compact. There's also an aftermarket piece from Lokar. Pricey but even more compact with multiple pedal options.
    The Wilwood pedal box, now standard, has the adjustment guys I think are referring to. The box itself can't be easily moved around, but the pads on the pedals can be put in different positions or replaced with other parts to maximize space for your feet and shoe size.
    edwardb- thanks for chiming in, read your whole thread and congrats on your anniversary edition (its beautiful). Coyote seems to be in for my plan as i can fit (based on feedback from the others here with a bit of work).

For the pedal box, I will learn more, but for my order plan, does that mean ordering the complete kit from FFR includes the wilwood box?

Thanks again to everyone for the great welcome and helpful advice.

I am convinced I can fit from your feedback, so no reservations left. Time to prep my order plan and see what y'all think of my plan.

-B

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought mine from Speedway Motors - they had the best price at the time.

As for size, mine are 17" and fit me with some room to spare, but I don't slide around. Based on how you described your physique, I'd recommend the same. But, if you want a snug fit, go with 16". Based on the fitment in my car, 18" would be a tight fit between the door and trans tunnel and wouldn't give you much room to adjust the seats to your liking as far as orientation in relation to the pedals and steering wheel.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm up in Kirkland if you want to see a Coyote/TKO600/3-link in progress. Just dropped the Coyote in this last weekend, hope to get to first start in a few weeks.

IMG_2586.JPG

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Joe
    Last edited by initiator; 01-16-2018 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Added photo
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
    edwardb- thanks for chiming in, read your whole thread and congrats on your anniversary edition (its beautiful). Coyote seems to be in for my plan as i can fit (based on feedback from the others here with a bit of work). For the pedal box, I will learn more, but for my order plan, does that mean ordering the complete kit from FFR includes the wilwood box?
    Thanks, and you're welcome. Yes, the Wilwood pedal box comes with the complete kit. The Factory Five website does a pretty good job of explaining what's included with the kit. It's admittedly a lot of detail though... If you do go Coyote, make sure to get the Coyote completion kit option. That plus the added Coyote installation instructions pretty much covers everything. It's a well proven and tested installation. Good luck!
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kirkey makes seat covers for their seats. I have the snap-in vinyl and I'm happy with them. I would, at some point, do as Gumball has done.

It's very easy to install seat heaters with the Kirkeys.