FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fabb's MK4 Coyote Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Fabb's MK4 Coyote Build Thread

Having read thru many great build threads and taking much inspiration from you all, I figured I should share my plans now that I am moving into the order phase, and then I will use this thread to share my build as it progresses.

I want to get my order placed this week and would appreciate feedback from you all to make sure I fix any mistakes here.

My goal is to have a fun car I can enjoy and use and not just a garage queen. I do want to go to car shows for fun but I figure this wont be my last car built, so I want to learn and enjoy and use the car I finish here. I have a 14yo daughter and 11yo son that I want to enjoy the build with me as well.

So, my order plan is:
    FFR Complete Kit w/IRS
    Coyote motor & TKO600

My selections from FFR in the complete kit order
    1. Frame: Powder coating #12189, Body Cutouts #12070
    2. Motor:
      a. Stainless Coyote Headers #16295
      b. Coyote Power Steer #16137
    3. Suspension: 2015 IRS #15942
    4. Brakes: Wilwood upgrades #15370 front & #15988 rear
    5. Interior:
      a. Competition Leather seats #13852
      b. GPS Gauges #16004

Additional options from FFR to get now
    1. Motor: Coyote install kit parts #15432
    2. Chassis & Suspension:
      a. IRS center section, spindles & hubs
      b. Sway bars front & rear #16116, #15998
    3. Wheels:
      a. 17" wheels #14865 <or>
      b. 18" wheels #15812
    4. Exterior: Chrome Rollbar + Passenger #15101 & #15107

Additional options to decide on soon (don't think I have to resolve these before the main order)
    1. Stainless Bumpers #15330
    2. Wind wings #12049
    3. Sun Visors #12042
    4. Heater/defroster #14816

Open questions (in addition to general feedback)
    1. Side pipes - go with FFR or Gas-N?
    2. Coyote Power Steering Kit - seen wareaglescott complaints and sbhunter's thread suggests this is improved. Good to go or look elsewhere?
    3. Seats - Haven't finalized my pick yet (just deciding between the diff Kirkey options), is it worth resolving now and ordering from FFR or go to summit/etc?
    4. Koni Shocks - are the FFR upgrades here necessary/good or including equip is fine or look elsewhere? (links?)
    5. EFI Fuel System - do I need to get this part from FFR (#33862)
    6. Motor - order from Mike Forte? Others?
    7. Wheels - 17" or 18"?
    8. Discounts - I have read about the 50/50 deals in the past, any advice on either timing or deal opty's?

Thanks in advance!
    -B

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. Looks like a very nice build. Many similarities to my #8674 Anniversary build. You'll love how it runs and drives. Fun to build too. Some feedback on some of your questions:

- I like the Gas-N pipes very much. But it's not a decision you need to make on day 1. If you're thinking of going that way, get your kit with the plain steel pipes. They will work for initial mock-ups, first starts, even go-kart if you want. If you're not happy with them, you can sell them and move to the Gas-N's. I recommend the Gas-N's over the Factory Five SS optional pipes.

- My understanding is the Coyote power steering kit now has KRC pump components. If you can confirm that, those are very high quality and different than what they provided before. I too have seen some less than favorable comments about the provided rack and also the generic rubber hoses. Perhaps these have been changed or upgraded as well.

- The stock Koni red shocks are just fine for most uses, especially for street cruising. The upgraded Koni double adjustable shocks are cool looking, but to be honest probably don't add much for the average driver and they're not cheap. Yes, there are other shock options outside of Factory Five. But sounds to me like you'd be just fine with the stock red Koni's.

- 17 versus 18 inch wheels is pretty much a discussion about available tires. Side by side, they don't look that different IMO. Today there are maybe a couple of more tire options for the 17 inch. But in the future, that's probably changing as the industry keeps heading toward larger wheels.

- The Mustang IRS center section and knuckles/hubs are pretty generic and can be purchased a number of places. Even through salvage if you're willing to do a little shopping and clean-up and save some $$. The Factory Five price is OK, but similar (or a little less) for new is available elsewhere. Unless they include them in some kind of sale. There is an advantage to having them delivered with the kit. The center section is heavy (even the aluminum version) and home delivery typically is via truck freight. I always say this though -- confirm the ratio Factory Five is providing and that it meets your build plan. Pretty sure they provide the 3.55 version, which is probably the most common. But I'd still check. Also not sure if they're providing the aluminum or iron case. Either is fine although the aluminum version is 20 pounds or so lighter.

Good luck and welcome!
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    A few notes to add.
    The "Additional options to decide on soon" - you can make changes to your order up until it ships out. While these items won't be needed right away, you will save on shipping if you order them with your main order.
    I've seen very few people using the full front bumper, I chose full rear bumper and front and rear overriders - its all just a preference in looks.
    I am not using a Heater/defroster. I have heard that unless you plan on a roof at some point, its not terribly effective. I did heated seats instead and happy with that decision.
    I got the SS FFR pipes as part of a sale they were running at the time. I've only driven the car a 150 miles so far, but I found the volume to be quieter than expected. However, it is my understanding that the FFR pipes will get louder over time/miles and then is when people start to have issues. EdwardB's suggestion is probably a good one.
    I also got the Coyote Power Steering kit (delivered about 1 year ago) and also had an issue where the first rack had kinked lines. FFR sent a replacement and that one was fine. Again, I dont have many miles on it, but I've had no other issues.
    EFI Fuel System - you wont need this with the Coyote
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Jdav says the heater supposedly isn't great without a top. I ordered it, started installing it and decided I just wasn't feeling it. Sold it and went with heated seats. Have been driving with temp in the low 40 degree range the last month or so. The seat heaters keep me nice and warm. The airflow around my face and hands are the areas that get cold at that temp. I just cant see a heater helping much in those areas. To much outside airflow coming in I believe would just overpower any airflow from the heater.
    Kirkey seats - ffr sells the 16" width. I am 6'3 and 215. Very snug fit for me. They are fine but had I known I would have just ordered the 17" from summit. The time i looked specifically summit was actually cheaper. I would consider just getting from summit. 17" will fit. They also have 18" but I don't think that would fit in MK4.
    Bumpers - I ordered the front hoop. When it came time to install I didn't like that either and decided to just scrap it and just do the overriders on the front. Full bumper on the rear looks great.
    I think the wind wings and sun visors are a must have.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the feedback. Ordering tomorrow (if all goes well).

Based on all I have learned, the updates are:
    1. Gas-N side pipes
    2. Kirkeys via the aftermarket, so will just take the standard seats in the order from FFR (edit, likely going with the Kirkey 55170 17" High Back)
    3. Over-riders only (no bumpers)
    4. Dropping the heater, which means the dash with the glovebox is a maybe now. I like what EdwardB did, but not sure I am patient/skilled enough to do myself.
    5. Koni shock upgrades - no

And my new questions:
    1. Motor - learned from FFR that they are selling Coyote kits directly themselves now, anyone done this and good/bad idea? Seems to be purely a price decision here (go with best deal among FFR, Forte, etc).
    2. IRS confusion - I think to get my order right, I have to get the IRS kit from FFR (#15942). Then I have to get a separate Center section (3.55), Spindles, & knuckles/hubs (#16126 from FFR or separately from Forte/etc). There is nothing else right? And again, this is just a price decision, right?
    3. Bellhousing - I saw a couple folks went with quick time bellhousing, any advice/suggestions here? I am not planning on a lot of track time, but never say never.

Thanks again.
    -B
    Last edited by Fabb; 01-19-2018 at 01:24 AM. Reason: clarified the seats

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the complete IRS and everything I needed from FFR. Maybe they have changed what they are offering since I ordered but I think you should be able to get it all from them.
    I did not go with the quick time bell housing. No complaints from using the Ford one. EdwardB would be a good one to speak to the advantages of the Quicktime. If he does not chime in again I would recommend messaging him.
    Yes on the Coyote just go with the best price. All the same. I got mine here as they had good prices at the time. You may want to check them out. https://fordracingpartsbydonwood.com
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. Ordering tomorrow (if all goes well).

And my new questions:
    1. Motor - learned from FFR that they are selling Coyote kits directly themselves now, anyone done this and good/bad idea? Seems to be purely a price decision here (go with best deal among FFR, Forte, etc).
    2. IRS confusion - I think to get my order right, I have to get the IRS kit from FFR (#15942). Then I have to get a separate Center section (3.55), Spindles, & knuckles/hubs (#16126 from FFR or separately from Forte/etc). There is nothing else right? And again, this is just a price decision, right?
    3. Bellhousing - I saw a couple folks went with quick time bellhousing, any advice/suggestions here? I am not planning on a lot of track time, but never say never.

Thanks again.
    -B
    My thoughts FWIW:

1. I have no experience with ordering the Coyote and related from Factory Five. That's something pretty recent. I did see someone post a picture of a Coyote that came from Factory Five. Had a pretty cool rolling cart and lift points on the engine. Won't get that from the Ford Performance wood and cardboard crate. But the bottom line IMO is these engines are basically a commodity. Just about everyone sells them, but they're usually being drop shipped from the Ford Performance distribution center in Michigan. Shipping is typically free. The warranty is provided by Ford no matter where you buy them. The technical support help desk from Ford is pretty good. Bottom line, I'm also a price shopper on this one and there's money to be saved if you shop around.

2. Yes, that's correct. The IRS option and the IRS center section and spindles/knuckles. You don't list rear brakes but that has to be purchased no matter which rear suspension you choose. It's only a price decision? I guess so. Also makes a difference in how the car rides, which I can personally vouch for as I mentioned before. We like it a lot. Supposed to also be the best performance, but for your use doesn't sound like that's a big deal. How much is that worth? You have to decide. FWIW, it will also affect the resale value. An IRS car is simply worth more than a solid axle car. People usually say they don't care about resale because they're never going to sell the car. But it happens. I wouldn't make a decision because of that alone, but it's something to put on the list.

3. For your TKO, you do have the option of an aluminum bell or the QuickTime steel bell. Roughly a $200 price difference, the QuickTime bell obviously being more. Really a personal decision. Some want the added security of the steel bell because that spinning flywheel and clutch are inches away from you and your passenger. Others properly cite those rarely if ever fail, especially for non-competition use. I personally do prefer the QuickTime, but I honestly can't give a good reason. Just my choice. If you were going to use the car in sanctioned events, it would be a different story. Because there one would be required. And it would need to be the SFI version, which as it turns out doesn't fit too easily. Even when using the QuickTime with a TKO, most of us end up still using the RM-6080 not SFI-approved version.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-20-2018 at 06:21 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    My thoughts FWIW:

1. I have no experience with ordering the Coyote and related from Factory Five. That's something pretty recent. I did see someone post a picture of a Coyote that came from Factory Five. Had a pretty cool rolling cart and lift points on the engine. Won't get that from the Ford Performance wood and cardboard crate. But the bottom line IMO is these engines are basically a commodity. Just about everyone sells them, but they're usually being drop shipped from the Ford Performance distribution center in Michigan. Shipping is typically free. The warranty is provided by Ford no matter where you buy them. The technical support help desk from Ford is pretty good. Bottom line, I'm also a price shopper on this one and there's money to be saved if you shop around.
    Yeah, I saw that too, over on sbhunter's thread. I can get a rotating mount anywhere for $50 and appears to still save a few bucks with Forte, so likely going there. Plus just talking to the guy he kinda earned my business with his clarity, honesty, and whole bunch of other positive feedback from others in the forums here. So I may have to see if FFR will sell/throw in those lift extensions.

2. Yes, that's correct. The IRS option and the IRS center section and spindles/knuckles. You don't list rear brakes but that has to be purchased no matter which rear suspension you choose. It's only a price decision? I guess so. Also makes a difference in how the car rides, which I can personally vouch for as I mentioned before. We like it a lot. Supposed to also be the best performance, but for your use doesn't sound like that's a big deal. How much is that worth? You have to decide. FWIW, it will also affect the resale value. An IRS car is simply worth more than a solid axle car. People usually say they don't care about resale because they're never going to sell the car. But it happens. I wouldn't make a decision because of that alone, but it's something to put on the list.
    Sorry I wasn't more clear. I am convinced I want to get the IRS (based on your input and others), just confirming I am ordering the right parts (based on scott's input + a couple calls with FFR and Forte, I think I get it now), was just confirming if I should order from FFR or Forte or other. Long story short, I can save a few bucks with Forte here. Oh, and I have the rear brakes from Wilwood in my plan (12.88").

3. For you TKO, you do have the option of an aluminum bell or the QuickTime steel bell. Roughly a $200 price difference, the QuickTime bell obviously being more. Really a personal decision. Some want the added security of the steel bell because that spinning flywheel and clutch are inches away from you and your passenger. Others properly cite those rarely if ever fail, especially for non-competition use. I personally do prefer the QuickTime, but I honestly can't give a good reason. Just my choice. If you were going to use the car in sanctioned events, it would be a different story. Because there one would be required. And it would need to be the SFI version, which as it turns out doesn't fit too easily. Even when using the QuickTime with a TKO, most of us end up still using the RM-6080 not SFI-approved version.
    You are right, I am going to skip the bellhousing change.

More details as we keep moving.

Thanks again everyone!
    -B
    Last edited by Fabb; 01-20-2018 at 12:32 AM. Reason: added comment on brakes

Post Thanks / Like

Order placed, Production Complete March 3

Ok, the order went in on Friday and I have a production date target of March 3! So excited!

So far I have just ordered the "core" parts of my kit:
    1. Complete Kit #50013
    2. Power-coated chassis #12189
    3. Coyote Headers #16295
    4. Coyote Mounts #15440
    5. Driveshaft #60175
    6. Body Cutouts #12070
    7. Original Seats #16325
    a. I plan to get Kirkey upgrades separately based on wareaglescott's input
    8. Coyote Power Steer #16137
    9. Front suspension #12066
    10. Rear Suspension 2015 IRS #15942
    11. GPS Gauges #16004
    12. 17x9 and 17x10.5 Wheels #14865
    13. Sway bars front & rear #16116 & 15998
    14. Dual Chrome Roll Bars
    a. Driver chrome #15101
    b. Passenger chrome #15107
    15. Coyote install kit parts #15432
    16. Brakes: Wilwood upgrades #15370 front & #15988 IRS rear

My FFR order #2 I am thinking thru:
    1. Dash with glovebox #16039
    2. Wind wings #12049
    3. Sun Visors #12042
    4. Floormats #15154
    5. Assembled side louvers #15659
    6. Brake mesh #12469
    7. Batt Cutoff #12453
    8. Roll grommets #15158 x2
    9. Dash support #15635
    10. Seat track kit #12077

Getting my order ready for Forte for the full drive train of Coyote + TKO600 + Hyd Clutch + Rear end (center, etc). Also planning on the other orders from Breeze, Replicaparts, Gas-n, Kirkey, etc...

Open questions if you don't mind. I read a few build threads and would love feedback
    1. Driveshaft - in wareaglescott's build thread, it was the wrong part. What's the right part #? I have #60175 so far from FFR.
    2. In my FFR order #2, no idea what the assembled side louvers are compared to what comes in the kit, so more just curious what that is. It says more authentic, and I am ok with saving the dough here.
    3. Floormats - good to get from FFR or another place?
    4. Seat track kit - I highly suspect my wife (5'8") will want to drive, and with me 6'4" I doubt this will work out well. Curious if anyone else did this.

Thanks again, reading all I can while passing the time.
    -B

Post Thanks / Like
    Responses to your latest questions:

1. Can't say why Scott received the wrong driveshaft. I would go with what FF recommends for your engine/trans/rear suspension combination. If for some reason it's not right, they'll work with you when the time comes if it was their error.

2. The standard louvers are a piece of flat stock aluminum with the louver sections laser cut into it. You bend the sections open and mount it. Some make it look good. Some don't. The assembled louvers are made from multiple inidividual pieces, e.g. the louvers, border piece, all assembled together. Stick with. It's a nice upgrade.

3. The floormats from FF are very nice. As good as anything you can buy IMO and fit perfectly. Another good choice. Just plan on attaching them to the floor somehow as like any floor mat they can scoot around and create a safety hazard.

4. Can't help with seat tracks. Haven't done them.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-22-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The assembled louvers look much better IMO.

You 6’ 4” will want the Kitkeys mounted flat to the floor. Seat tracks will sit you up too high. I have not done it yet but when I mount my seats I’m planning to drill another set of holes further fwd. If my wife wants to drive it will take some wrenching. I don’t think it will happen very often. When I’m driving, the extra holes will be floor drains I guess.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Responses to your latest questions:

1. Can't say why Scott received the wrong driveshaft. I would go with what FF recommends for your engine/trans/rear suspension combination. If for some reason it's not right, they'll work with you when the time comes if it was their error.
    Will confirm with Dan tomorrow.

2. The standard louvers are a piece of flat stock aluminum with the louver sections laser cut into it. You bend the sections open and mount it. Some make it look good. Some don't. The assembled louvers are made from multiple inidividual pieces, e.g. the louvers, border piece, all assembled together. Stick with. It's a nice upgrade.
    Both you and Straversi seem aligned, I guess I will keep on the wish list.

3. The floormats from FF are very nice. As good as anything you can buy IMO and fit perfectly. Another good choice. Just plan on attaching them to the floor somehow as like any floor mat they can scoot around and create a safety hazard.
    Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    The assembled louvers look much better IMO.

You 6’ 4” will want the Kitkeys mounted flat to the floor. Seat tracks will sit you up too high. I have not done it yet but when I mount my seats I’m planning to drill another set of holes further fwd. If my wife wants to drive it will take some wrenching. I don’t think it will happen very often. When I’m driving, the extra holes will be floor drains I guess.

-Steve
    Interesting idea...

Thanks again
    -B

Post Thanks / Like
    congrats on the build! my kit is similar and I'm waiting for it to be delivered. I myself ordered the efi fuel setup because ffr said I will need it for my setup "coyote" but then again I started my build as a base kit so we'll see when I have the parts in hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    A few notes to add.
    The "Additional options to decide on soon" - you can make changes to your order up until it ships out. While these items won't be needed right away, you will save on shipping if you order them with your main order.
    I've seen very few people using the full front bumper, I chose full rear bumper and front and rear overriders - its all just a preference in looks.
    I am not using a Heater/defroster. I have heard that unless you plan on a roof at some point, its not terribly effective. I did heated seats instead and happy with that decision.
    I got the SS FFR pipes as part of a sale they were running at the time. I've only driven the car a 150 miles so far, but I found the volume to be quieter than expected. However, it is my understanding that the FFR pipes will get louder over time/miles and then is when people start to have issues. EdwardB's suggestion is probably a good one.
    I also got the Coyote Power Steering kit (delivered about 1 year ago) and also had an issue where the first rack had kinked lines. FFR sent a replacement and that one was fine. Again, I dont have many miles on it, but I've had no other issues.
    EFI Fuel System - you wont need this with the Coyote

I ordered my kit with the efi fuel system as FFr on the phone sold it to me. Can you possibly explain why its not needed as I'm also doing a coyote setup. hopefully if i don't need it they will let me return or exchange it for option parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayfunktionkev View Post
    I ordered my kit with the efi fuel system as FFr on the phone sold it to me. Can you possibly explain why its not needed as I'm also doing a coyote setup. hopefully if i don't need it they will let me return or exchange it for option parts.
    I honestly don't know what is included in that option, but it wasn't on my order sheet. It's possible that they changed the coyote fitment kit and this is now needed? The only thing I can think of that it might be that you would need is an electronic fuel pump (I got mine from forte with the engine).. All of the actual fuel injection components are built within the coyote. Connecting the fuel system is as easy as connecting the line from the pump to the regulator/filter (also from forte) and then regulator to the fuel rails.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    I honestly don't know what is included in that option, but it wasn't on my order sheet. It's possible that they changed the coyote fitment kit and this is now needed? The only thing I can think of that it might be that you would need is an electronic fuel pump (I got mine from forte with the engine).. All of the actual fuel injection components are built within the coyote. Connecting the fuel system is as easy as connecting the line from the pump to the regulator/filter (also from forte) and then regulator to the fuel rails.
    My Forte order includes two options:
    1. Fuel Reg & Line kit - described as 3/8" line instead of the smaller line from FFR. I checked the FFR complete kit and it includes 3/8 line but doesn't call out the regulator. I think 3/8" line is expected by the Coyote so I am going with this.
    2. In tank 190 pump & hangar. I read multiple threads about going with the smaller one (not enough) and the 255 (likely too much without other parts adjusted as well).

I am going to re-read EdwardB's thread on this topic to see if i can clarify the plan here. I think i also want the SS rigid fuel lines he mentioned but need to read again and compare to today and what i can order from whom and price.

Hopefully others with more experience can clarify too.

Post Thanks / Like
    There was also additional advice about the return line and making a smart choice on fuel system design here saves a pain on long lines for the return... Need to find that advice too...

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Fuel Reg & Line kit - described as 3/8" line instead of the smaller line from FFR. I checked the FFR complete kit and it includes 3/8 line but doesn't call out the regulator. I think 3/8" line is expected by the Coyote so I am going with this.
    2. In tank 190 pump & hangar. I read multiple threads about going with the smaller one (not enough) and the 255 (likely too much without other parts adjusted as well).

I am going to re-read EdwardB's thread on this topic to see if i can clarify the plan here. I think i also want the SS rigid fuel lines he mentioned but need to read again and compare to today and what i can order from whom and price.

Hopefully others with more experience can clarify too.
    Yep, I did the same, but I did use the forte supplied nylon fuel lines. The Regulator/Filter is a unit that looks like a canister and is mounted close to the tank. It had me confused for a while because it didnt look anything like the Aeromotive units that EdwardB and Scott used. The one Forte supplies is already set to the proper pressure (EdwardBs is an adjustable unit). You run a short line from the pump to the unit for input, a long line from the unit to the fuel rail and then a short line from the unit back to the tank for return. Its a pretty simple set up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s my two cents for what it’s worth. Factory Five is obviously a great company. That’s why we are all here. There are many shops selling parts to complete their kits that depend on us for their livelihood. I had planned on ordering my coyote/tko from Forte. I visited Factory Five to place my order and fell for their coyote setup because it was staring at me. As I have started assembly, I have had a few questions about things on the motor or trans. It is a very complete combo but as with other things from them the instructions are somewhere between lacking and nonexistent. I finally broke down and called Mike Forte with some questions and to order a couple things. He was rightly upset that I had bought the motor kit from FFR but was very helpful still. If I had a do over, I would go with Forte. The combo that FFR is selling comes with an aluminum TREMEC bell housing for what it’s worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Couple of comments. There was a previous question about the 33862 - EFI Fuel System option at $549.00. I don't know what that is. I've ordered and received two complete kits (Roadster and Gen 3 Coupe) configured for a Coyote build and didn't order this option. Nor was it suggested. Something in my memory says it might be a regulator and related, but I don't know for sure. (Plus I don't trust my memory that much. ). Best is to call Factory Five and find out what it is. Depending on what you do with other packages (e.g. the Coyote package from Forte) you may/may not need it. Note that I did order the 15432 Coyote Installation Kit with my Coupe. Wasn't available when I ordered the Roadster in 2015. I highly recommend that option. Includes such things as motor mount spacers, PCM and PDB mounts, clutch switch mounts, and a whole box of hardware and plumbing bits. None of that stuff would be typically available anywhere else.

For the fuel line sizes, this is a whole other discussion. The standard kit fuel lines supplied by Factory Five are 5/16-inch supply and 1/4-inch return. No 3/8-inch material in sight. That for the Gen 3 Coupe I just received, and it's the same box provided with my Roadster a couple years ago. Lots of builds have been successfully completed with these materials, but I was just more comfortable having that extra margin of safety with 3/8-inch. At the time I did the Roadster, there was a lot of forum traffic about the right size return line, plus several instances of people burning up fuel pumps. Some repeatedly. Based on that, plus the recommendation in my Aeromotive regulator that specifically said use 3/8-inch supply and return lines to reduce stress on the fuel pump, that's what I did on the Roadster build and will again on the Coupe build. There's a whole other discussion about the right electric fuel pump size. The Factory Five instructions say one size. The Ford Racing (Performance) instructions say another. Almost for sure the smaller (190 LPH) is more than adequate. But I went with the 255 LPH and figured with 3/8 supply and return it would be OK. Nearly 2,000 trouble free miles during it's first season. So I'm thinking it's OK. Not saying it wouldn't have been OK with a different combination. But that's my experience FWIW.

Regarding the regulator, I am aware that Mike provides a fixed regulator / fuel filter combination (it's actually a GM / Corvette part if that matters...) that can be put near the tank and reduce plumbing. I've heard from a number of builders that use it. I did choose to go the Aeromotive adjustable route in the engine compartment though. Another one of many choices for these builds.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-23-2018 at 03:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    4. Seat track kit - I highly suspect my wife (5'8") will want to drive, and with me 6'4" I doubt this will work out well. Curious if anyone else did this.
    See my build thread. I'm same height and went through the trouble of building brackets and sliders for the Kirkley's. Worked out great, but in the end I ditched them and bolted the seats to the floor. With the sliders I sat too high and my eyes were at the top of the windshield. Once I dropped the seat to the floor I felt much more comfortable driving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Brian, did you ever decide on where you were purchasing your Coyote and TKO600 from ? Forte or FFR ? Also, did you finalize the list of parts you were going to order for this ? I'm deciding that very same thing right now for my build. Just wondered if you had anything firmed up yet.

mark
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lewma View Post
    Brian, did you ever decide on where you were purchasing your Coyote and TKO600 from ? Forte or FFR ? Also, did you finalize the list of parts you were going to order for this ? I'm deciding that very same thing right now for my build. Just wondered if you had anything firmed up yet.

mark
    Hey Mark - I am going to get it from Forte. The price difference isn't enough and Mike's customer service won me over easy. I actually just received my kit today and am going to post an update with my purchase details updated as well.

-Brian
    MK4 Complete Kit #9311 - Coyote, TKO600, IRS
    Ordered: 1/23/18 | Production Complete: 3/6/18 | Delivery: 3/30/18
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like

Delivery Day 03/30/2018!

Look at what I found wandering my neighborhood:

Actually, I went and met Jim (delivery dude, great guy!) a couple blocks away and we drove in my truck to survey the best approach. He did a great job of getting within 300 ft of my driveway. I actually took my truck + my small trailer and fully loaded both with the boxes, and then we were able to unload the frame+body onto my frame dolly (thanks Jazzman for the model).

And then we had to get out my tractor to tow it the 300 ft + the length of my driveway. Then Jim and I carefully guided it down some plywood over my gravel while my daughter controlled the tractor. You can see the tow wire, but not the tractor. What an event!

My wife took a video I may wind up sharing...

Very excited to finally be an owner! Even updated my signature.
    -B
    Last edited by Fabb; 03-31-2018 at 01:13 AM.
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like

Final Order Details

Any my final order from FFR was:
    FFR Order 1/22 order date
    1. Complete Kit #50013
    2. Power-coated chassis #12189
    3. Coyote Headers #16295
    4. Coyote Mounts #15440
    5. Driveshaft #60175
    6. Body Cutouts #12070
    7. Original Seats #16325
    a. I plan to get Kirkey upgrades separately
    8. Coyote Power Steer #16473
    9. Front suspension #12066
    10. Rear Suspension 2015 IRS #15942
    11. GPS Gauges #16004
    12. 17x9 and 17x10.5 Wheels #14865
    13. Sway bars front & rear #16116 & 15998
    14. Chrome Roll Bars #15101 & #15107
    15. Coyote install kit parts #15432
    16. Brakes: Wilwood upgrades #15370 front & #15988 rear

Then I updated my order during the winter sale:
    a. Stainless Side pipes #14932
    b. Dash with glovebox #16039
    c. Wind Wings #12049
    d. Sun Visors #12042
    e. Floor mats #15154
    f. Assembled Side Louvers #15659
    g. Brake duct wire mesh #12469
    h. Battery cutoff #12453
    i. Roll bar grommets #15158 x2 (for both sides)
    j. Center dash support #15635
    k. Overriders #12012
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    WooHooo! Inventory time! Congrats....
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Inventory and body off

Ok, my 15yo daughter and 11yo son both joined in on the inventory so we got that done pretty well. Still took hours. I did my best to put the boxes out of the way in support of build order.

Missing stuff: just a few things, big items were on the Part Order List (POL) stuff that FFR has to send. I did compile a list of other missing stuff as well, so it was time well spent.

I then had my wife and father-in-law and his wife help me separate the body from the frame and get them on the body buck:

* Tip: Make sure to watch the FFR videos to get their tips, like marking the jack bolts before removing. And the description/demo of removing the body.

? Question: I didn't find my certificate of origin so far, I am curious where I should have found this?

Thanks
    -Brian
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like

Question: I didn't find my certificate of origin so far, I am curious where I should have found this?

Thanks
    -Brian
    Brian,

Congrat's on getting started, now the fun starts!

Got my certificate of origin in the mail several weeks after I took delivery.

Jim
    MK4 #9237 - complete kit, Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 12/11/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on getting your kit, hopefully mine will be here in the next couple weeks. Looks like there are quite a few of us that will be building Coyote powered MK4's at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Question: I didn't find my certificate of origin so far, I am curious where I should have found this?

Thanks
    -Brian
    You'll get a package containing the certificate of origin and engraved nameplate with the completion of your POL. Often in the last shipment of backordered parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Day 2: Panels and Brakes

Thanks again folks for quick answers.

Today I got the panels labeled (good use for a label maker) and then removed. Pretty bare frame:

* Tip: On the panels I found using the label maker to put labels on each piece and then placing the label so it overlaps either the frame or other parts, then cutting it in half gives me a "what goes on top" as well as alignment key. We'll see how well that plan holds up as I prep the panels.

Then I decided to get my Wilwood brake rotors + hats assembled. I also decided to add in the speed/safety wiring:

* Tip: For the safety wire (aka speed wire) work, it definitely helped to have small bent needle nose pliers like these. It took a few failures to get the hang of it, but by the 4th set I felt pretty confident and reasonably quick.

? Question: How do you remove rivnuts?

So, to explain the question, gotta share a bit more... I am leveraging many of your build threads as inspiration, and found in EdwardB's 25th anniv thread he put nutserts/rivnuts on his F-Panels (I don't recall precisely why yet, but his advise seems wise). So its good advise and an excuse to get a new tool and try it. Well, 1st use, the mandrel broke in the rivnut in the panel. So I need to take out the broken mandrel, and maybe the rivnut.

It appears I also have to finalize my decision on the panel "paint" plan. I had considered going with Powder Coat, but I am leaning toward Jeff K's advice to go with brushed aluminum look.

? Question2: Do I really have to bake the clear coat in? I dont think my wife will let me use the oven for that... I wonder if I need to browse craigslist for a spare oven...

Another fun day...
    -B
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    ...found in EdwardB's 25th anniv thread he put nutserts/rivnuts on his F-Panels (I don't recall precisely why yet...).
    I put them along the edge of the F-panel where the front splash guards are attached. Can't put the splash guards in until the body is on, and you'll find you have them on and off several times during the build. Plus makes them easy to remove in the future should you need to for whatever reason including taking the body back off. Certainly rivets could be used and drilled out. No big deal, and that's what many do. I just prefer the nutserts. Do the same thing on the rear splash guards. Into the chassis side when fitting and mounting them. Plus whatever panels throughout the build you want to have removable. Like the access cover on the top of the driver's side footbox.

My Anniversary Roadster is a 20th version BTW. The 25th ones are still a couple years away.

You're off and running. Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    ? Question: How do you remove rivnuts?

-B
    Same as drilling out a rivet. Drill the top, or flange. You can use the same size bit that you used for the hole, but need to be lined up straight. I prefer to use a larger bit and go slow, so instead of drilling through the hole, now you're just drilling the flange off the top. Be careful so you dont pop into the aluminum panel.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like

Day 3 Suspension

Sweet, thanks guys.

Another couple questions on today's build steps...

Question 1: I started on lower control arms, and the DS went in with 2 spacers on either side of the rear mount and 0 on the front mount (just like the instructions). The PS, however, fits well with just 1 washer on the rear, and looks like it wants 1 spacer in the front. Do I need these to be symmetrical and so I just need to force the issue with a bigger hammer? Or do I roll with where it naturally wants spacers?

DS: looks good

PS Rear: only 1 washer

PS Front: looks like it wants 1 washer

Question 2: Ball joint in the UCA. The manual shows this image:

And yet, in my kit, the UCA ball joint receiver looks like it is upside down. The zerk fittings on the UCA are on the up side, but the angle of the receiver appears opposite of the pic. I also saw on another thread, the callout that these have to be disassembled and reassembled, is that correct?

Thanks
    -B
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Having read thru many great build threads and taking much inspiration from you all, I figured I should share my plans now that I am moving into the order phase, and then I will use this thread to share my build as it progresses.

I want to get my order placed this week and would appreciate feedback from you all to make sure I fix any mistakes here.

My goal is to have a fun car I can enjoy and use and not just a garage queen. I do want to go to car shows for fun but I figure this wont be my last car built, so I want to learn and enjoy and use the car I finish here. I have a 14yo daughter and 11yo son that I want to enjoy the build with me as well.

So, my order plan is:
    FFR Complete Kit w/IRS
    Coyote motor & TKO600

My selections from FFR in the complete kit order
    [LIST=1][*]Frame: Powder coating #12189, Body Cutouts #12070[*]Motor:
    a. Stainless Coyote Headers #16295
    b. Coyote Power Steer #16137[*]Suspension: 2015 IRS #15942[*]Brakes: Wilwood upgrades #15370 front & #15988 rear[*]Interior:
    a. Competition Leather seats #13852
    b. GPS Gauges #16004
    -B
    In looking at the seats I found a local guy who is an auto upholsterer whose work I really like. Have you looked into getting the vinyl seats and having them redone locally? The cost difference between those and the FF is significant if I provide my own leather. Anyone else done that as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    I let the control arm washers fall where they needed to be and was not concerned with being symmetrical.

You do need to disassemble and correct one control arm. Ball joints need to angle to the outside with the zerk fittings on top.

---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    I let the control arm washers fall where they needed to be and was not concerned with being symmetrical.

You do need to disassemble and correct one control arm. Ball joints need to angle to the outside with the zerk fittings on top.
    Cool, thanks Boyd. I will use your photos as the guide for my work today.
    -B
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at my UCAs and they both appear inverted, so it looks like I need to flip both. My target outcome is to have both UCAs have the zerks up and the ball receivers angled out. I guess I got lucky with 2 inverted instead of just one.

Let me know if I should post a pic to confirm I am doing this right.
    -B
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you've got it. I had to flip both.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with you on the "powder coat" thing for the bolt-on parts... for me, it's just not in the budget for benefit received.
    On the frame, a resounding YES - the impact resistance and coverage of hidden areas is worth it. For hinges, brackets/tabs/doodads nah...

Good prep work, and $10 of "rattle can" or POR-15 will yield the same result and durability (considering the actual use these cars/parts will get).
    I cleaned/prepped/rattle-can'd all of the suspension parts on my '65 Camino, and after 15K+/10 years miles of "collector car" use - 100's in conditions where a roadster would be parked - the paint is as nice as the day I sprayed it.

Rattle-can paint doesn't need to be baked for adhesion.
    Frankly, my best results have been with the cheapest "house-brand" stuff out there! The $3.99 a can "house-brand" stuff seems to still have all the nasty chemicals in it! (acetone, tolune, banned in CA, etc.) and it flashes off and STICKS. Just be sure to use it with the proper PPE, ventilation, etc.
    My .02
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast