Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Non-Ford engines???

Post Thanks / Like

Non-Ford engines???

Anybody build one of these with something other than a Ford small block/Coyote??? Don't get me wrong, they're great engines, but just because that's what Shelby used in the original, doesn't mean we all need to... just curious is all...

Post Thanks / Like
    A Chevy LS should take up less space than a modern Ford Coyote which we do know fits. Plenty of other small block Chevy, small block Ford, etc will fit... even inline-6's and maybe compact V6TT like the Ecoboost should fit. You'd need to figure out the motor mount and exhaust situation, but completely do-able.

Just don't let GoDadGo know
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    2jz ?
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Although it's not an FRR Coupe, Peter Brock drives a Superformance Peter Brock Special coupe regularly that has an LS motor in it.

If the guy who designed the car can have Chevy power I don't see why you can't. The LS is a really compact engine.

The V6 EcoBoost is just as wide as a Coyote and will have more plumbing for the intercooler, etc. to worry about, but they did put one in an FFR 33 Hotrod a couple years ago.

An inline 6 would have a little more side room, but would be tighter up to the radiator, and thats kinda tight already.

Anything can be done though, if you try.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The LS can be adapted to the stock Factory Five engine mounts where the Small Block Chevy for a MK-4 will require new mounts that must be moved forward.
    The new Daytona, well I've got no clue what you would need to do, but the LS does pack a big punch with a very minimal footprint.
    If you don't have a driveline sitting around, then I'd go with a SBF with a TKO-600 behind it since I'm not a Coyote fan.
    With that said, if you want to do a SBC, then look at:

The Dark Side Guru Dude:
    http://gpsconnection.com/

My Build Overview:
    https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

Last Go-Kart Drive:
    https://youtu.be/PCngiKoopkA

If you want to go to the dark side, then you will be on your own to re-engineer a lot of nit picking things.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-18-2018 at 05:27 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The advantage that I was after when I chose an LS3 was good fuel mileage in addition to 430hp from the same mild cam in a stock corvette. I get 20 mpg in town and about 23 on the highway - not near as good as a corvette on the highway, due to a lower gear that runs 2000 rpm at 75mph and far worse aerodynamics. Of course, you can move up to hot cammed 525hp version of the engine too, or go all the way to a 650 hp LT4.

Installing a modern fuel injected engine is really quite simple. It's all plug and play. If you get Speedhut Freedom gages, only two wires from the OBD system run all of the gages, except the fuel level, that needs it's own two wires.
    Last edited by DaveS53; 01-18-2018 at 12:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    2jz ?
    I was actually kinda thinking an RB26 would be pretty bad *** in one of these...

Or a small twin turbo L33...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Damn, that's $$$$$$$$$$!

But I'm on the dark side too, gonna have to pry my SBC from my cold, dead... oh wait, that's wrong forum..
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    Damn, that's $$$$$$$$$$!

But I'm on the dark side too, gonna have to pry my SBC from my cold, dead... oh wait, that's wrong forum..
    I too am a huge fan of the SBC, but finding new old stock ZF-6 Speeds are drying up so the T56 is the next best thing plus the LS makes some crazy power.
    Hummmmm, can I still claim to be on the Dark Side now that my car will soon be on the Dart Side?
    https://youtu.be/IGYtX-3p7xk

Here's a sort of an Old School Carburated LS Option that still has 6-forward gears:
    https://paceperformance.com/i-206897...00-rebate.html
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-17-2018 at 09:12 PM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    The LS3 / T56 would be an AWESOME combo in that little car. The more I look at these cars the more I want one. I may have to sell my hot rod after it's done and start a new project with LS power. But how about twin turbo? I mean since I'll have to fab a custom exhaust anyway why not go big.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    The LS3 / T56 would be an AWESOME combo in that little car. The more I look at these cars the more I want one. I may have to sell my hot rod after it's done and start a new project with LS power. But how about twin turbo? I mean since I'll have to fab a custom exhaust anyway why not go big.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfox View Post
    I was actually kinda thinking an RB26 would be pretty bad *** in one of these...

Or a small twin turbo L33...
    LS motors seem to LOVE boost. I was thinking an L33 (aluminum block 5.3) with a couple 58-64mm turbos making around 750-800 whp would be pretty stupid. (stupid fun)

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    800 RWHP -- now you got my attention. Crazy stupid fun for sure. Just what I need. I'm not even done with the current project and you got me thinking about the next. Now that's crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would have to run an aftermarket ecu with a good traction control scheme. I would probably lean towards MegaSquirt, cheap and it works good. No way you could hook up all that power at low speed.

While I was at it, maybe run a 6L80 trans? Could set up paddle shifters...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 6L80E is significantly larger than a 4L60-75 series. Of course it's no different at the bell housing, but the trans is wide, all the way back to the drive shaft flange. For that reason you never see one put in a car with a narrow interior, like a car from the 30's or 40's that all had running boards and narrow interiors. They are installed in later model muscle cars, but the floor is still going to need some mods.

The first gear ratio is also very low, so modern high performance cars usually run a 2.56 or 2.73 rear end gear.

The low first gear works great when they put the trans in a truck.

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...2013.tab1.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ld-thread.html
    Last edited by DaveS53; 01-19-2018 at 09:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    There have been a few built with LS engines that I'm aware of. A fellow named Dave L. in California built a twin-turbo LS-powered coupe about 4 years ago; his detailed build thread is buried way back in the forum. Mike M. also built one with a naturally-aspirated LS and did a lot of autocrossing with it. I haven't seen Mike comment on this board for a few years, but I recall he really liked the setup and had good results autocrossing it. And J.C's Gen II race coupe with an LS engine can be seen in a lot of posts and an old build thread; he has also had good results racing it. Also, many years ago there was a guy who put a Buick Grand National V6 in an FFR Spyder.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm. Aluminum Block Helltona?? Just money. Viper differential?? Just Blasphemy to build with a non ford.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfox View Post
    LS motors seem to LOVE boost. I was thinking an L33 (aluminum block 5.3) with a couple 58-64mm turbos making around 750-800 whp would be pretty stupid. (stupid fun)
    well my little twin is pretty silly.... the RB26 would be different...and I think you could make it look really cool in there

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

Post Thanks / Like
    well my little twin is pretty silly.... the RB26 would be different...and I think you could make it look really cool in there
    Just read through your build, NICE job! When do we get to see video of you WORKING it?

Off topic, when were you with the 101st? I was in the 502d when we invaded Iraq...

Post Thanks / Like
    I did 3 tours with 101st 94-97 99-02 03-06 all with 9-101

A video of me actually working on it...I would have to do it in slow-mo ... not sure you could see me at normal speed

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I did 3 tours with 101st 94-97 99-02 03-06 all with 9-101

A video of me actually working on it...I would have to do it in slow-mo ... not sure you could see me at normal speed
    Well, we were there at the same time twice! I was there 00-04.

I meant a video of aggressive driving. Flogging it a bit. See what it can do. Maybe another trip to the test area at the base??

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh.. yeah.. been really cold and I can't past 1/3 throttle... Just passed 200 miles so the car gets a full once over... which I finished... also have a photo shoot tomorrow... so trying to keep it clean...there will be videos coming for sure

Waiting for my 65 Coupe nskaats's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to go the LS route. I wanted a light and well balanced combination that packed plenty of punch. Plus I've pretty well built a name and business around the LS platform, so it was a no brainer. My combo is a 347 cubic inch LS1, 12.1:1 compression, CNC'd 241 castings, and a single plane intake. I'll be tuning it the flex fuel route with both pump gas and E85 for giggles.

I've just begun my journey and still waiting on my kit, but some pics are being updated here: CLICKY
    --Nick Skaats--
    Gen 3 Coupe #80 - LS1/T56 - SCCA Bound
    Link To Album For Updates

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    Just Blasphemy to build with a non ford.
    Thank God I'll Rot In Hecccckkkk!

It's Not Aa Ford, It's A Factory Five!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-20-2018 at 05:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d love to put the Ford Ecoboost V6 in the coupe. Something different, and adequate power for my purposes. But it looks like the turbos sit low on the block making it very wide down low. Not much room for feet! The plumbing for the intercoolers would be a challenge. And it might be hard to find enough airflow for them.
    Gen 2 Type 65 Coupe. Gen 2 Coyote. T-bird IRS. 3.55 Torsen diff.
    Find me at "Team Limer" on Facebook
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/750619...7668366966791/
    Rally North America "Team Limer"
    https://www.classy.org/team/464751

Post Thanks / Like
    LS2 with the 6 speed in mine, its great. 408/410 HP/torque at the tire, half the cost and weight of a coyote. Yep shes a bit lumpy at idle and that's pretty cool. 26 mpg HWY with the overdrive (1700 RPM at 80 mph). That's right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by plschulten View Post
    LS2 with the 6 speed in mine, its great. 408/410 HP/torque at the tire, half the cost and weight of a coyote. Yep shes a bit lumpy at idle and that's pretty cool. 26 mpg HWY with the overdrive (1700 RPM at 80 mph). That's right.
    Come on now... Half the weight of a Coyote? I guess if the LS2 is filled with helium and the Coyote has an anchor tied to it. They're both in the 450 lbs range. Maybe a little bit of a difference one way or the other, but not half. Cost also not half. But I guess hyperbole is the name of the game here.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Probably 3/4ths the weight, not 1/2.

Here's the best option for a Ford Looking LS for those wanting the best of both worlds.
    You just need some generic valve covers and a couple of Blue Oval Ford emblems.

https://paceperformance.com/i-238424...ve-covers.html

NOTE:... Best of both worlds as defined by yours truly is Power vs Under Hood Footprint.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-27-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Believe it or not, there's only about 15-20 lbs difference between the two engines. Their size is very deceiving when it comes to estimating weight. The Coyote is around 5 inches wider than the LS platform.

The Coyote didn't appeal to me because of it's size, the cost sucks, and I'm fairly certain Ford operating systems are autistic. Not to mention to awkward downward angle of the header flanges make working on them unfriendly. Ford also clipped their own nuts again with that stupid 3.9" bore spacing. So the only way to get any displacement out of them is to go undersquare with a long stroke which doesn't have any place in a performance application like mine. The winning combo on a racetrack for my use is going to be an oversquare bore/stroke combo (bigger bore) and RPM, all of which the LS is perfectly suited for the application.
    --Nick Skaats--

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want a correct vintage look on an LS, I used these valve covers

241-138_011816.1.jpg
    --Nick Skaats--