FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Speedhut Speedometer MPH - Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Speedhut Speedometer MPH - Thoughts?

Hi folks.
    I am looking at ordering the Speedhut Cobra GPS gauge set to replace the stock 1990 donor gauges in my MkII. I missed the Christmas sale, and the next sale in the Spring will only be 5% - 10% off. With the standard 180mph speedometer gauge, I would only use the first 33% of the gauge. 90mph is at the 12 o'clock position on the 180 gauge. I was thinking of substituting in the 140mph speedo instead. My thought was it will give me a more realistic usable sweep. Do most of you folks use the 180mph gauge? What are your thoughts? I plan on swapping the tach and speedometer positions and also plan on removing the oil temp gauge from the kit. Main reason for that is I won't have to cut a new opening and possibly need a dash re-cover. My existing dash holes are correct for these gauges as well. (I haven't figured out how to rotate the dash pic. It looks ok on my PC. Sorry about that)

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been to 150+ 3-4 times in 65k miles, 157 max - not smart but it is exciting. At that speed the gauge is of little concern, the road and driving should be your total focus. I generally don't know exactly how fast I've gone until I look at the max speed on the GPS once I've slowed down to a more reasonable speed <80. 140 is normal on Grattan and VIR South Track.

But, I'm planning on a 180 mph unit. It takes a fair bit of motor to pull past 150 in a Cobra, lots easier in a Coupe.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim you're a better man than me. I don't have the proper safety equipment, the skills or the grapes to go that fast in a car with no roll cage, air bags etc.
    Your point is taken and appreciated though. It seems I see a lot of 180mph speedometers in these Cobras and I'm not sure if it's a historical thing (did the original have 180mph speedometers?) but all my driving will be under 80mph. No track, no drag strip. Stock speedo is 140.
    I'm leaning towards the 140mph speedo but the jury is still out.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd go for 140. Mine goes to 160 and I think even that is kind of silly! As Jim said by the time you're into triple digits you best just be looking ahead---no matter what you're driving

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mburger View Post

It seems I see a lot of 180mph speedometers in these Cobras and I'm not sure if it's a historical thing (did the original have 180mph speedometers?) but all my driving will be under 80mph. No track, no drag strip. Stock speedo is 140.
    I think 180 mph reverse rotation is "the original 427" Cobra thing.

I'd have to "look it up" on the 260s, 289s and Daytonas (pretty sure it varied).

It makes pretty good sense to me, I wouldn't be comfortable pushing much past 140 without aero.

Fact is the first 3 gears are so much fun, I rarely push beyond that.

And don't find it at all sensible to be looking at the gauges at those moments anyway...

The GPS will probably tell you whatever you want to know, regardless of the max needle position.

Speedhut always does a black Friday weekend sale (20-25%) - I always wait for that - (what's the rush???)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff and Mike.
    Mike, definitely no rush, but I emailed Speedhut asking when their next sale was, and they said Spring but it would only be 5% - 10% sale.
    If there is a 20% - 25% sale anytime in the next few months I"m on that like a hobo on a hotdog but I'm not aware of anything coming up.
    Jeff, can't disagree.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Went for "silly" & got the reverse rotation 180 MPH GPS. Figured it would stop people from asking the second question after "is it real?" "how fast is it?"

Anyone with a serious interest will understand the body shape with the big hole in the front is not made for high speed. I typically drive by the tach anyway as the speedometer is kind of tucked away behind the steering wheel.

Got in on the 20% Christmas sale. The gauge set is out of the art department & in assembly. Should have it in a few weeks.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I went for the 180 in the Cobra-based set. Never really thought that much about it, but everything else in this car is over-the-top, so why not...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Mburger and all,

Not better by any stretch unless better = the lack of common sense that God gave a petunia.

I think it boils down to historical appearance, practical usability, personal preference. The whole counter-clockwise rotation thing is just proof that Smiths Instruments had a sense of humor.

And BAER-AVHistory's comment on body shape is spot on. We're driving the aerodynamic equivalent a small GreyHound bus. But it sure is fun.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin, I was on my way to a cruise in today and two lanes over at a light a guy yells at me, "Is that a real one or a kit?" I say a kit. I get the palm of his hand and he says bah, shaking his head. If I had $5 every time someone asked me if it was real, I could buy a "real" one.
    Thanks for the input everyone. I think I am going to go better functionality for me and choose the 140mph speedometer.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mburger View Post
    Kevin, I was on my way to a cruise in today and two lanes over at a light a guy yells at me, "Is that a real one or a kit?" I say a kit. I get the palm of his hand and he says bah, shaking his head. If I had $5 every time someone asked me if it was real, I could buy a "real" one.
    Thanks for the input everyone. I think I am going to go better functionality for me and choose the 140mph speedometer.
    Confuse them say its a replica. Had a guy at the food store parking lot in a big cab F150 send his wife over 4 parking lanes to ask me if it was real. Told her it was a real car but not an original Shelby. She said Thank You, very nice car, & was on her way back to the truck when I rolled out with suitable exhaust noise.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a guy in next lane ask if it was a Cobra. Over the exhaust noise I said Yeah. His reply was "God bless you".
    Kinda made my day, musta been the joyful noise.

For the "is it real" crowd you could just tell 'em that it's a real car.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got an email my Christmas Present will be here Friday.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the very reason I like my 818. It doesn't try to be or look like anything else. It is its own look. Jmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find it amusing that someone that can't tell if it is an original or not, decides if they are impressed based on what your answer is.

I always say "replica". I have had a couple people that were busting a gut to get over to me and ask, then say "Oh, well, it looks good for a replica". Did it look better 3 seconds ago when they thought it was real?

Post Thanks / Like
    My non-original Speedhut Christmas present came in today. Will install it when I put the car up for its annual maintenance.

At night needles are red all in white is blue. Replacing:

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-26-2018 at 02:13 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! I thought about getting the Cobra artwork on my gauges. Still thinking about it. I need to order 4 new tires (over 15 years old... I know I know) and looking at Tiregraphix permanent Goodyear Eagle "Billboard" tire stickers (whole new thread for that...) and the FFR lower control arms to help my turning radius. Once those projects are done I'll move on to the gauges probably late Feb. (again nice grouping in the background...)
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Two quick questions.

1. Can I use the existing oil temp & pressure, water temp senders or do I have to swap out for the SH units? Will be doing my annual oil change so its not a big deal to swap but draining & refilling the COYOTE cooling system is a BPITB.

2. Has anyone done a good DIY thread on this install?

Will also be installing the banana brace at the same time.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    Two quick questions.

1. Can I use the existing oil temp & pressure, water temp senders or do I have to swap out for the SH units? Will be doing my annual oil change so its not a big deal to swap but draining & refilling the COYOTE cooling system is a BPITB.

2. Has anyone done a good DIY thread on this install?

Will also be installing the banana brace at the same time.
    Whereas your Autometers have a single wire sender the Speedhuts use a 2 wire unit that is specific to the gauge. As far as the cooling system is concerned I think I'd have all tools ready, the new sender doped up and ready then do a quick swap with the system still full, making like the little Dutch boy with his finger in the dyke while doing so!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Whereas your Autometers have a single wire sender the Speedhuts use a 2 wire unit that is specific to the gauge. As far as the cooling system is concerned I think I'd have all tools ready, the new sender doped up and ready then do a quick swap with the system still full, making like the little Dutch boy with his finger in the dyke while doing so!

Jeff
    Sounds like a plan with a turkey pan on the floor.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234