FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: IMI starter

Post Thanks / Like

IMI starter

I am having trouble fitting the IMI 140 starter. It mounts fine but when I put the Cats in place it hits the pipe. Tried adjusting it all different ways but no luck. Has anyone else try fitting the starter ? My set up is 2000 LS1 with stock manifold and FFR cats with H pipe.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joe.

I'm currious about a couple of things.

Does the starter for the Mendeola Stage I gearbox mount the same as the Corvette (with starter body pointing towards the front) or like the porsche (pointing towards the rear)?

I'm just thinking out loud since I'm not sure of the Mendeola components and how they mount. But it seems that I was told, somewhere along the way, that everything is set up as standard Corvette configuration. Doesn't the Corvette mount the Starter tucked in next to the passenger side of the block, with the starter gear facing the flywheel (rear) and the starter body pointing forward? If so, the stock manifold should easily clear it, and the cats should be well behind it.

Also, is the Corvette Starter (donor) not usable with the Mendeola transaxle?
    Last edited by The Stig; 07-19-2011 at 10:27 AM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Man this two forum business is a PITA!

Anyway, as answered on the other forum, and along the lines of what Stig is getting at, is the IMI140 solenoid position adjustable like other IMI starters, and is the solenoid the issue with clearance?

If so, there are two bolts that hold the actual starter body to the mount and the solenoid position can be adjusted.

As Stig also said, have you tried a stock starter? If the stock one fits, then I don't see how the IMI won't fit as it is a bit smaller inmain body diameter AFAIK.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Stig,

The starter mounts in the stock location on the ls1 facing forward. The IMI 140 starter is fatter than the stock starter. I can't get it to tuck in tight enough to clear the pipe on the Cats that point up to the H pipe.

I put a call into Meneola see if they can help. I guess the nose on the stock starter will not fit Meneola transaxle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mush View Post
    Hi Stig,

The starter mounts in the stock location on the ls1 facing forward. The IMI 140 starter is fatter than the stock starter. I can't get it to tuck in tight enough to clear the pipe on the Cats that point up to the H pipe.

I put a call into Meneola see if they can help. I guess the nose on the stock starter will not fit Meneola transaxle.
    Bummer. One of the big selling points, as I understood, was that the Corvette accessories could be used; such as Clutch, Flywheel, and Starter. Hopefully you'll get some answers from Ian @ Mendeola pretty soon.

Good luck.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    There are different versions of the IMI-140. Did you get the "standard" unit, or the higher torque unit?
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the standard unit.

I talked to Meneola and they said the IMI-140 was installed using Kooks system never with the stock exhaust set up.

Went with a MSD 5096 APS HIGH TORQUE STARTER from JEGS. I will post some pictures was I get it all installed.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    I just installed the IMI-140N on my LS3 engine with the Kook's headers. After trying a few different positions on the front aluminum block I found a way to make it fit. The arrows in the picture show the location used in the front bolts. I had to cut the top of the connector on the sensor that is located at the crank cover. I also had to cut about a 1/4 of an inch of the stud for the B+ cable going to the starter in order to have it clear the headers. It is still very close to the header. It won't be easy to protect the starter from the heat of the headers with the limited space that is available to add some shielding material. Here are some pictures of it. If you guys don't have tho bolts for the starter they should be M10-1.50 and 105 or 110mm in length

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't tell me that the IMI 140N starter won't fit with the stock manifolds and exhaust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just ordered mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to try this starter ( MSD 5096 APS HIGH TORQUE STARTER ). The battery terminal comes of the back of the solenoid. Keeping the wire away from the pipe.
    H PIPE 002.JPGH PIPE 003.JPGH PIPE 004.JPGH PIPE 006.JPGnew starter 002.JPGnew starter 003.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fact5racer;27865]Don't tell me that the IMI 140N starter won't fit with the stock manifolds and exhaust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just ordered mine!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOT

I couldn't get IMI 140 to fit with stock set up. You can mount it but the cat pipe hits it and the o2 sensor is up against to.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am getting so tired of dealing with "gypsies" when it comes to building these cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. That looks WAY to close to me to be comfortable with. Even with the non-Hi-Torque starter.

Hate to say this, as I know the intent was to be able to use the cheaper/stronger Vette stuff, and technically, it looks like it can be done, but the rear mounted starter and 9" disc/flywheel of the Porsche bellhousing for the Mendeola is looking better all the time. Sure the accessories are a little more expensive, but it fits no problem. I know this as it's what we are running on the FFR PDG GTM.
    Last edited by crash; 07-26-2011 at 10:01 AM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,
    What can be done:
    Use a heat wrap on the headers, and wrap starter with a thermal blanket.
    http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...32062/10002/-1
    http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...32000/10002/-1

I have done the wrap, and thermal blanket.
    It has worked well.
    Last edited by Mendeola Transaxles; 07-28-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendeola Transaxles View Post
    Hello,
    What can be done:
    1) use the MSD-5096 starter-this may give a little better clearance but not much.
    http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/5096/10002/-1
    2) use a heat wrap on the headers, and wrap starter with a thermal blanket.

It has worked well.
    I would still suggest the wrap with the MSD-5096.
    Yes, but have you done one with the stock exhaust system?
    Enquiring minds want to know.................................Is our transaxles being shipped this month as previously told????????????

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendeola Transaxles View Post
    Hello,
    What can be done:
    1) use the MSD-5096 starter-this may give a little better clearance but not much.
    http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/5096/10002/-1
    2) use a heat wrap on the headers, and wrap starter with a thermal blanket.

It has worked well.
    I would still suggest the wrap with the MSD-5096.
    Mendeola

When you installed the IMI 140 did you have to cut the battery starter terminal for it to fit on the Kooks set up?
    With the MSD-5096 the wiring to the starter is not even close to the pipes and can be easily connected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    Yes, but have you done one with the stock exhaust system?
    Enquiring minds want to know.................................Is our transaxles being shipped this month as previously told????????????
    I was told they did not by Mendeola

Director of Engineering, FFR Jesper Ingerslev's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mendeola Needs to use teh IMI starter

The MSD starter will not fit with the Transaxle. The MSD starter was designed for a different location around the flywheel. The transaxle was designed using the IMI-140 starter which is higher up on the flywheel. I mounted the IMI starter with the stock exhaust on the rolling chassis in the show room. I would recommend grinding the starter mounting block and possibly denting the exhaust slightly. We had to do the same denting with the Cooks exhaust we have ont he yellow car here with the Mendeola in it.
    Jesper Ingerslev
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Factory five and Mendola get together on this please.
    I just sent back IMI 140 starter and ordered theMSD 5096. Now I!m reading the msd is not going to work.What up?
    Leonard

Post Thanks / Like
    I apologize for this- the SDR is designed for the IMI-140.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper @ FFR View Post
    The MSD starter will not fit with the Transaxle. The MSD starter was designed for a different location around the flywheel. The transaxle was designed using the IMI-140 starter which is higher up on the flywheel. I mounted the IMI starter with the stock exhaust on the rolling chassis in the show room. I would recommend grinding the starter mounting block and possibly denting the exhaust slightly. We had to do the same denting with the Cooks exhaust we have ont he yellow car here with the Mendeola in it.
    Jesper is right the mounting bracket sets the MSD starter lower on the flywheel than the IMI. I guess that's what I get for trying to set up with out the transaxle in hand. I apologize for any inconvenience that I may have caused. Time to move on to some wiring.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe
    I don!t blame you for my problems, you are just one of us trying to help out. Mendeola should never have posted on the factory form that the msd would work. It also bothers me that they will not post if they are going to ship the transaxels on the 30th.
    Quality Power real nice about the whole thing and are going to ship the IMI back to me. I had to eat a little crow on this one. I hope you can get the IMI and the stock exhaust to work for you.
    Leonard

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe and others
    I!m still having trouble mounting the imi-140 starter. I have a ls-1 with the bat wing oil pan. If I try to mount with the starter motor up it hits the crank sensor. When the motor is down like kempo it hits the bat wing. What should I do ?
    Thanks Leonard

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the interference with the bat wing a lot? If not you might be able to cut some material from the bat wing and then re weld it in a way that it will clear. Not sure that the IMI-140 starter option was choosen with the batwing in mind.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Leonard, I have the LS1 with the bat wing. Mine is mounted with the starter motor up with the starter positive stud facing the engine block. I had to dent the cat pipe and file the starter to make it fit. I will try an get a picture for you. If you want PM me your phone # we can talk.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought you can reclock the IMI stater. look at the picture with the 8 wholes and two arrows. I have the Porsche tranny and I took out the 8 bolts and turned it until it fit. Your setup might be different.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the starter with the motor up and clocked two holes from the top on the right and two holes from the bottom on the left. Just hitting the crank sensor, o so close but still not there. I need to take material off the sensor plug or file the starter motor. I don!t like cutting either untill i!m know it will work. Joe thanks
    for the call
    Leonard

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lrt1941 View Post
    I have the starter with the motor up and clocked two holes from the top on the right and two holes from the bottom on the left. Just hitting the crank sensor, o so close but still not there. I need to take material off the sensor plug or file the starter motor. I don!t like cutting either untill i!m know it will work. Joe thanks
    for the call
    Leonard
    Have you installed the water temperature gauge sensor yet? does it fit in there with the starter installed with the motor up?
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem with the water temperature gauge. The starter is above the temperature sensor. NO problem there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lrt1941 View Post
    No problem with the water temperature gauge. The starter is above the temperature sensor. NO problem there.
    Excellent news!!!
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)