Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 351W heads on 302

Post Thanks / Like

351W heads on 302

So I have this 99 explorer block, with no heads, and have lead on a set of 351W heads.
    Casting: D8OE-AB , I believe will need just a new 351 intake, what else might I need ?

Post Thanks / Like
    From another thread::

The 351W heads will bolt right on. You use the 302 intake. There are some things that you will have to address, though.

The 351w heads use 1/2" head bolts vs the 302 which uses slightly smaller 7/16" bolts. ARP sells special reducing washers to fill the gap and to keep the bolts in line. They are available in a complete head bolt set or,I believe, separately. Summit, Jeg's, and Ford Racing has them.

I don't remember exact years, but I believe the 69-72 heads are the best ones, (larger valves & ports), from 73 on up the ports and valves were the same as for the 302.

Some of the earlier 351 heads had "dog leg" shaped water passages, but a good gasket set will take care of that so that you can use any type of intake.

If you are looking for performance gains and not just needing another set of heads, I'd measure the diameter of the valves and ports as well as looking at the size of the combustion chambers before doing the swap. You may have the same heads as what you already have on the engine (except for the head bolt holes). As I said the later 351 heads were the same as the 302s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi bil the D8OE-AB heads have the same size valves as the 302 so no help, also they have a 69 CC combustion chamber I'm not shur what the 99 engine has but 6CC make about 1.0 difference in compression ratio.
    The 351 also uses A longer pushrod B%A Ford performance had the pushrod for the conversion (if still in business) some one will have them.
    Chaz....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Chaz, think I will go ahead and try these heads, I have the 302 and 351 pushrods, have to see what will work

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doable but you'll need stepped bolts to attached the heads to the block.

Like these: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/ARP-2...Kit,70992.html

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I was not clear it takes A special pushrod, the 302 has A shorter block deck height and the 351 has longer valves.