Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keep us in your thoughts.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Keep us in your thoughts.....

Sad news here....Andy's been diagnosed with a brain tumor, and will have surgery on Monday. I've created a Caring Bridge website where we will post updates. Thanks for your kindness.......http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/andysalvaggio
    K
    Last edited by vnmsss; 05-21-2011 at 04:53 PM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Karen, While You, Andy and your family are always in our thought we will be keeping you in our prayers Monday. We Love you, Frank and Julie.
    Last edited by frankeeski; 06-10-2011 at 12:56 AM.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Karen,

Hopes and prayers coming your way.

Andy - get well soon. That's an order.

Henry

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Karen your all in my prayers......Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Karen, Andy
    So sorry to hear about that bad news. You are in our thoughts and hearts, and we are looking for your greatest and fastest victory!
    Patrick and Catherine

Post Thanks / Like
    Andy and you are more than family. You know our phone number, don't hesitate to use it.
    Victoria and John

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Karen, if there is ANYTHING I can do, please don't hesitate to call.

Andy, my family sends you our best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow Karen, that sucks. I hope Andy recovers quickly and his surgeons are supremely gifted.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Karen & Andy,

Sad news but you've got people all over the country pulling for you and countless prayers headed your way.

Garry & Dona
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Karen and Andy,

We are here for you, anything you need, just let us know.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Gas Fume Philosopher AJ Roadster NJ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Prayers offered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang in there guys you are definitely in our thoughts and prayers.
    Thanks
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I'm just now reading this Karen...

I'm hoping for the best possible outcome for Andy today.

Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Our prayers are with you & a hig hug to you both

STEVE

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Karen,

Thinking of Andy and keeping him in my prayers. Let us know as soon as you have any more info on his surgery today.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Karen, All of us LOVE you and Andy dearly and we are praying for you and him that he comes thru strong and healthy. You guys are the heart and soul of so many of us! Hang in there.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Latest update from Karen on CaringBridge.com:
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/andysalvaggio

Monday, May 23, 2011 12:53 PM, PDT

Surgery Update

Andy's out of surgery, and the procedure went well. The surgeon was able to remove the tumor, however, they have determined it is a very malignant form of cancer, so the prognosis is less than favorable.

As so many folks have mentioned, each person battles these things differently, and we are moving forward with hope. Andy's in ICU recovering now, and I've been blessed to be joined by a number of close family and friends here at the hospital. Thanks to everyone for the warm wishes, and we know there's a small army of awesome people out there praying for all of us, and we are deeply grateful. Warmest regards and many thanks to everyone. Your prayers brought him through, and are sustaining us as we move forward.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Andy and Karen, if ANYONE can beat this it's you guys. Know we are here for you and we send our prayers out to you and the family!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    From yesterday after surgery.

Progress Report...Recovery Begins....
    Andy spent the rest of the day under the watchful eye of nursing staff in the ICU. He is understandably very tired, and is resting comfortably tonight. The road to recovery began today, and we'll be working hard to ward off any lasting effects.

It's been a tough day for sure, and I will never be able to express just how much your kind words and support mean to our family. The outpouring of love, kindess and understanding are simply overwhelming, All of your prayers and words of encouragement are providing strength in our journey ahead. Deepest thanks to everyone!! We're feeling the love!!

Karen
    Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Karen,
    I wish the very best for Andy and for you as well. May he have a speedy and full recovery. You both are in our prayers.

Paul Gillespie

Post Thanks / Like
    Prayers sent from Florida. Keep the faith and all will be well...
    Currently re-building FFR5066K 5.0 T5 3:55 four link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    More Good news today,

Day 2.....Continued Progress
    As you can imagine, the surgery took a lot out of Andy, and he's been sleeping steadily for the last day. His vital signs remain strong though, and today began with a number of assessments, including speech, reflex, and mobility. The tumor was located very close to his speech center, and while no work was done directly in the speech area, Andy's working on putting all of his words back together.

The speech pathologist reported that things are looking good in that department, and they advise that it will likely just take some time for the swelling to subside and everything to flow together. Andy still enjoys a good joke though, and he was caught smiling at funny things people said, and even laughing at himself several times thoughout the day.

He's had an amazing string of wonderful visitors the entire time he's been in the hospital, and while he was sleeping off and on most of the day, he knew each one of you were there, and all of us are grateful for the warmth everyone has shown. Thanks again for the prayers and kind words, (and even the music clip Ken!).....We are truly blessed people.
    Hank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

WEDNESDAY, MAY 25, 2011 9:22 PM, PDT

Day 3: Two Steps Forward; One Step Back....
    Today brought more visitors, including dear friends from Andy's beloved Corvettes Unlimited car club, and contact from so many good friends in Desert Corvette Association, Corvettes Super Sports, Vettes R Us, Guldstrand Racing Association, and numerous friends from our Factory Five Racing family.

Andy's been a member of the Corvettes Unlimited family for somewhere in the neighborhood of forty years, and he's literally grown up and lived his entire life withn the Southern California Corvette group, who have all become members of his/our extended family. He's a Chevy Guy through and through, and when I went all "Blue Oval" on him some six years ago, he had to "learn" something other than the gospel of Zora (Yes, it's nothing short of sheer blasphemy to speak the "F"-word in a Bow Tie-lover's garage!), I can't tell you how many wrenches sailed across the garage on a regular basis with a "@#%%^ (expletive deleted) Fords!!!" following them as they bounced off the wall!!! He mastered it though, and while every day working on something with a distributor in front of the intake manifold is one day away from his true love, worked tirelessly to achieve success.

Through our racing adventures in the Factory Five Challenge Series in the last six years, and running around So Cal and half the United States with our FFR roadster friends, we found a whole new group of caring and wonderful people who have grown to be an even greater extension of our family. What a ride, and hearing from everyone has sure brought back lots of good memories. I know he appreciated seeing his wonderful friends today, and every time I see him, I update him with the wonderful, loving posts here. He knows you are thinking of him and sending lots of healing energy his way.

Now three days out from the surgery, the day began with more assessments, especially in terms of pain and progress in motor skills. A good deal of swelling developed from the surgery, which unfortunately manifested itself in an increased level of discomfort. I know one of the most frustrating aspects of all this for Andy is the fact that his speech is just not coming togther as quickly as he'd like. He has had a rough go of it in communcating what he wants to tell someone. With some additional medication for the pain and the primary notion that he continue to rest and build his strength, he spent the greatest part of the day sleeping (with the exception of the time spent with physical therapists, who he doesn't like very much right now, as well as the folks working with him to regain his speech). I know this may be hard to believe, but "Mr. Nice Guy" can be pretty ornery when he wants (no surprise to some of you that have known him for a long time though . The nurses and caregivers have been absolutely wonderful though, and while they push him to work through these things, they are kind and very encouraging in their work...Like so many of you, yare angels on earth for sure.

Our entire family truly appreciates the continued prayers and outpouring of support you have shown for Andy. Many of you have offered to help in any way (very kind), and as I was sitting in the hospital at Andy's side today, I was thinking that something we might all appreciate would be to share in some of Andy's many adventures over the years by posting more photos here on the website. It would be great if anyone having photos of Andy could send them along, and I will post them here. I know he will enjoy them....Thanks again everyone...The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
    Hank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    THURSDAY, MAY 26, 2011 11:51 PM, PDT

Day 4....Rest and Recovery
    Thursday brought Following his daily medical checks and assessments, Andy spent the biggest part of the day resting, and just catching up on what continues to be some very much needed sleep. The milestone of the day was having the health techs and nursing staff assist Andy into a chair, in which he spent the better part of the morning. Moving out of the bed is a good thing, especially in terms of keeping his lungs clear; So the chair time was indeed a welcome sign to staff (although the getting there and getting back were not so enjoyable for Andy.).

Vital signs still look good, and if things stay on course overnight, he's scheduled to move to a post-operative care unit as soon as tomorrow. We're keeping our fingers crossed that the progress continues. He's still having dificulty with words though, and mobility on the right side is compromised. Physical therapists are working with him daily though, and the plan is to continue building his strength day by day, and slowly build up the right side strength.

Thanks to everyone who already sent pictures...Great memories for sure....I'll be taking my computer to the hospital tomorrow and sharing every one of them with Andy...Great memories for sure!!

Your continued prayers and good wishes are greatly appreciated, and we enjoy reading the wonderful stories in the Guestbook. What a rare opportunity for all of us to share in the good times, while our family and friends come together to tackle the challenges of the future....Thank you! Love and hugs from all of us!
    Hank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    SATURDAY, MAY 28, 2011 8:03 AM, PDT

Day 5: Steady Progress
    Lots of visitors and some very good progress today. Biggest events included the move out of ICU overnight to a regular room (yea!), and then an even bigger move out of the hospital and into a care facility around dinner time....Lots of activity for our little Andy, and as you may imagine, he was ready for sleep by the time he was settled into his new digs.

His vital signs remain strong, which was the bais for the decision to move him from ICU to a unti where the focus will shift to working on the speech and physical therapy that he needs.

Andy is allowed visitors, and is in Community Care, 4070 Jurupa Avenue, Riverside, CA.....I've recieved lots of pictures (thanks everyone!!, and will work at posting them later today.

Short post for now, as I'm heading back down to see Andy. We both wish everyone here a Happy Memorial Day weekend, and hope you spend some good times with family and friends!

Hank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    SATURDAY, MAY 28, 2011 9:48 PM, PDT

Day 6.....Rest and Visiting with Good Friends.
    Yesterday was a very big day for Andy, and today he spent the entire day sleeping and sleeping....With all of our racing over the years, Andy's been a pretty busy guy, so we're thinking he's just really relishing the opportunity to get some real rest.

It was great to see some of Andy's dearest friends from Corvettes Unlimited today, who made the long trip down from the High Desert and Central Valley to see him. While "The Maestro" was pretty much snoozing most of the day (and checking in with us from time to time), we had a wonderful time visiting and catching up on things. Thanks for visiting with us!!

Progress is slow at this point, and we're still waiting for a lot of the swelling to go down. He still has a long way to go, and while we're happy to have him out of the hospital, we are still guarded with him, and watching things closely.....Vital signs still good, and we're being patient with the expectations, as the reality is this was a very big surgery, and our greatest healer continues to be time (and lots of prayers and good wishes from our wonderful friends and family).

Thanks so everyone that sent pictures already. I've added them to the Photos here on the website, and we are truly enjoying each one of them. So many good memories with all of you!! Good times with very good friends!
    Hank

Post Thanks / Like
    Dropped by on my way home from Palm Springs yesterday but Andy was sleeping so didn't distrurb him. Will try & dropby again. When I got there & the nice info lady at the front desk asked me how to spell Andy's last name. Looked at the her & said "I can't remeember how to spell my own last name let alone his." She found it & sent me down to NURSES STATION 3. Nice people there.

BIG HUG to both you guys

STEVE & KERMIT

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    MONDAY, MAY 30, 2011 8:12 AM, PDT

Day 7.....More progress
    Another restful day, however the physical therapist had Andy working on building some strength on the right side, and practicing sitting in a chair to hold his own weight. The biggest progress of the day was the downscaling of the size of the bandage, as the healing progress is going well. Andy is able to wear a more scaled down version of his turban now.

The outpouring of love and support continues (thanks so much everyone), and we enjoyed more visits with good friends today. Athough much of the time Andy is still resting with his eyes closed, he listens in to the conversation, and enjoys having the company, I shared many of your posts with him, and I know we're all enjoying the many pictures we've been able to post on the site. Thanks again everyone!!!

We begin the long road of after care this week, including radiation treatment which begins tomorrow. Andy will be a busy guy every day, with speech and physical therapy, radiation treatments, and of course, his regualr visits with his medical team who are monitoring his progress and moving forward with aggresse treatment.

Today is Memorial Day, and as many of you know, Andy and I are both veterans of the armed forces (USAF). As I've done for a number of years, I visited the Riverside National Cemetery over the weekend to pay respect to our veterans, and this year I joined fellow Factory Five racer (and Vettes R Us club president), TC McNett to help him and a large number of friends place more than 11,000 flags on the markers of our fallen heroes. It was an amazing experience indeed......TC sent a flag to Andy as well, and it's in his room for him to enjoy.

Please keep the prayers and good wishes coming...They're working,,,,We know everyone of you would be here if you could!

Love and big hugs! Karen
    Hank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    TUESDAY, MAY 31, 2011 7:09 AM, PDT

Day 8: A Good Day
    It seems like Andy's finally gotten enough rest to begin the long road of speech and physical therapy. He spent the day visiting with friends, and while he still is not able to talk with folks, he appreciates holding hands and acknowledges with head nods and smiles. It's clear he wants to talk, and works to put the sounds together. It's getting much better though, and again, we're all learning the meaning of "patient."

He's eating well, and really enjoyed the fresh strawberries our good friends brought straight from the fields. He'd developed this interesting habit of snapping his fingers if he wants something, or if he wants to acknowledge something said, and we were all laughing about the fact that he wouldn't be getting away with that at home, and think he's just taking advantage of being "The King." ;.)

The facility in which he is staying is a very active and busy place, with lots of activities for guests. They hosted a Memorial Day BBQ in the afternoon, and while Andy couldn't make the trip over there, it was clear that the staff and patients were enjoying a festive day, which carried over into their smiles and conversation when they visited the room to care for Andy.

Thanks for the kind words on our military service, and Andy and I would send those same thoughts out to those of you visiting here who served our country as well. Freedom is anything but "free", and we appreciate all you and your family members that served (and are still serving today).

The photos are also very much appreciated, and I received another batch yesterday, which I'll work on posting in the Photo pages over the next day or so.

Your continued kindness, love, and words of encouragement are helping to sustain us on thie journey, and our family continues to be grateful for your support. You're amazing folks!!!
    Hank

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hank,

Thanks for the daily updates man.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Karen,

Much love and prayers from Julie and I as well.

Randy

Robert, I really miss you man

FFR Roadster Mark III, 500hp Small Block Chevrolet, TKO600, BMW Imola Red with silver ghost flamed stripes by the immortal Batman.

"There's nothing you can't do, only stuff you haven't done yet!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I will never be able to thank each of you for the continued love and support we've received through the Factory Five community. It's been a tough week for sure, but the out-pouring of kindness, prayers, and warm wishes has sustained us and given us courage to approach each day with hope.

Everyone here may build cars as a hobby or a profession, but in the end, you forge friendships that go so much deeper than what can be captured in the pages of a build manual or found in the answers to an array of questions on a forum....The sum of the whole far exceeds the total of the parts....Your kindness never ceases to amaze me! Thank you!

Karen
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Karen, been reading all the updates, so good to hear that Andy is out of the hospital and in recovery. Sounds like you guys have some great support there and some good friends. Says a lot about both you and Andy and all that you have brought to the community.

All the best
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    This is unwelcome news. Lisa and I, and the army of kids are sending love your way. I wish I understood why such bad things happen to such great people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    TUESDAY, MAY 31, 2011 11:57 PM, PDT

Day 9......It's good to be Italian!
    Well, today was the day that speech therapy began in earnest, and while Andy was his usual accomodating self, he wasn't completely thrilled with having to start "learning" how to talk all over again. There are many things that can be said about Italians, but they are known to be animated folks that live and love life to the fullest every day.....The other thing we know about Italians is they simplay cannot talk without using their hands..:>) Well, since our Andy is a true Italian of the vintage variety, Andy's demonstrated that talking with his hands is genetically imbedded. Pointing, gesturing, and making hands signs that almost look like he's giving us a blessing (or maybe a curse) is now commonplace, and of course he uses various finger patterns to let us know how happy (or unhappy) he is with something....He also snaps his fingers to let us know that something is easy, or if it can be done in a hurry.

The speech therapist was there for the better part of an hour this afternoon, and she was working with Andy on recognizing simple words, or rote memorization, such as counting and singing simple songs.....He made progress with the sounds he's creating, and she will be back again to work with him more tomorrow. Big day tomorrow in that he will be very happy to see some life-long friends frro his Corvette racing days as well.

Each day has its own challenges, and we approach each sunrise with hope.....Thanks again to everyone for the good wishes, and the prayers....They are very much appreciated.

Karen
    Hank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Journal THURSDAY, JUNE 2, 2011 7:01 AM, PDT

Day 10: No rest for the weary....
    Today was a non-stop day of activity for Andy; The day began with a visit with the speech and physical therapists, and then visits with more of Andy's longest and dearest friends from Corvettes Unlmited. After lunch and a few minutes to rest, Andy had his first trip out of the facility, traveling to his oncologist for consultation and discussion of his treatment plan, and to prepare for upcoming radiation treatments which will better assure the progress of the cancerous cells is halted following the surgery.

So many of you have reached out to share personal stories of your fight with cancer, or the fight you closely watched of loved ones who have experienced this devastating illness. Your insight on treatment options, do's and don'ts, and experienced advice regarding Andy's care going forward is very much appreciated. The folks at Riverside Community Hospital are part of a bigger network of cancer treatment centers and research hospitals, and Andy's treatment plan is following the current best practice in the field. We remain open to all innovative and forward-thinking research and knowledge in this area though, so please feel free to forward any knowledge, experience or information to us and we'll put it in the decision-making hopper.

I want to thank everyone for sending so many great pictures. I uploaded another group of Andy photos last evening, and we've reached the 51 photo limit here on the site. I would encourage each of you to visit the photos, and feel free to add comments, as Andy enjoys hearing from folks, and it helps re-build connections for him. Thanks!

While the photo feature is full here on the site, pleae keep sending pictures, as I've created an online website for us to share more photos, and will post everything you send there, and will post the link here. We are truly enjoying the photos from all the fun and good times Andy shared with all of you (and which he plans to have more of), and appreciate the effort it takes to scan, crop, re-size, and send along to us so we can all share in the memories.

Thanks again everyone. Andy knows he's loved by so many folks, and your positive energy, memories of the good times, and positive thoughts are helping him and all of us through this very difficult time. We love you guys!!!! Karen
    Hank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    FRIDAY, JUNE 3, 2011 6:50 AM, PDT

Room 310: Grand Central Station
    Today marks one week since Andy moved to the Community Care facility. It's an active place for sure, that, while the primary focus is upon rest and rehabilitation for residents there, is a place full of life and activity. Andy's room, however, has taken the word activity to a new level though, and even the social services director, who's office is just around the corner from Andy's room, commented that the continuous stream of foot traffic and visitors to Andy's room has been a bit amazing.

Andy's wonderful niece, Gina, who has been an absolute gem through all of this, spent the late morning and early afternoon with Andy. The physical therapists had Andy standing early in the day, and while it's shakey, and supporting his own weight is a challenge, the encouraging feeing of just getting up out of the bed is worth every step, and I know it made Andy feel like he's finally getting somewhere in his rehabilitation. Speech therapy continued today as well, although he was pretty tired from the physical therapy earlier in the day, so the work will carry forward today.

It was a beautiful, sunny day here in Southern California, and Andy made his first trip outside to enjoy the flowers, trees, birds, and just the beauty of the outdoors. He certainly enjoyed it, and I know he'll be looking forward to enjoying the sunshine again today.

Some very good friends from Andy's SCCA racing days made the trip out from the Valley, and were good enough to bring a guestbook with them so visitors can sign-in. Our neighbors from Lake Mathews (Gavilan Springs) also made the trip into town to visit with Andy, which was very kind. Our home is out "in the sticks" as many of you call it, and while we tend to go about our day to day lives in a somewhat independent manner (caring for acreage requires lots of work), country folks also tend to rally around each other in time of need...Great folks for sure....At the rate Andy's having visitors, it won't take long to fill that visitor book up. ;.)

An evening visit from Tracy and grandson Evan was a welcome surprise for Andy. He truly loves our grandbabies.......One of Andy's wonderful visitors (thanks Mike!) brought a Hot Wheels Camaro for Andy, which was sitting on the table next to Andy's bed. Evan, being a car nut (imagine that), spied the car immediately, made a beeline for the Corvette and played with it during his visit. Andy enjoyed watching him play.......with a Chevy!!! :>)

We're enjoying the photos immensely, and will post the newest ones in a few days. Thanks again for your continued prayers and kindness. Your love and support is carrying us through.

There are two ways to live your life; One as though nothing is a miracle; and the other as if everything is a miracle. ~ Albert Einstein

Caring Bridge Photos: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/andysalvaggio/photos

Feel free to add comments....Andy is enjoying the memories!
    Hank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Journal SUNDAY, JUNE 5, 2011 8:15 AM, PDT

Weekend Report....More Rest and Visits with Friends
    With the Corvettes Unlimited annual awards banquet slated for this weekend, we knew Andy would have a chance to see more of his good friends from the club. Thanks to those of you who stopped by and gave Andy your good wishes and shared some of the many good memories from all the fun you had running around the Valley with you cool cars....We hope you have lots of fun at the gathering this afternoon....Please know that, as Andy and our family have worked through this difficult time, you have all demonstrated the meaning of true friendship.

Saturday was a busy day in the morning, and by afternoon, Andy was ready for some rest, so he pretty much slept and visited with staff here and there in between snoozes. He's making some progress with the speech, but again, it's very slow, and keeping his spirits up about it gets difficult at times. I think given the situation, any of us would understand how darn frustrating it would be to want to say lots of things, but only be able to make a few sounds and gestures to express those thoughts....We're pushing through it though, and each day he gains a bit.

Today will be a quiet one for Andy, and we're planning on taking him outside to enjoy the blue skies and some fresh air. Tomorrow will be a big day, with a visit to his neurosurgeon scheduled in the morning, and then back for physical and speech therapy in the afternoon.

Thanks again to everyone for continuing to keep Andy in your thoughts and prayers. He needs them now more than ever, as he continues to push through the plateaus of recovery and keeping hope in the front of his mind.....Hugs and love to everyone!

Hank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    MONDAY, JUNE 6, 2011 6:56 AM, PDT

Next Steps.....
    Sunday began with a visit to the physical therapy center located within the Community Care facility. Andy worked on standing, holding his own weight, and some balance activities. With some great help from staff, Andy was able to make small progress in building his strength, particularly on the right side, which is still very compromised following the surgery.

Andy enjoyed a very welcome visit with grandson Evan (3 years old), who has become his garage side-kick, and loves his Papa. Evan brought a couple of Hot Wheels cars and spent a good deal of time showing Andy how to take the wheels off.. ;.).

Today (Monday) will be a busy one. We head off to our follow-up appointment with the neurosurgeon this morning (it's been two weeks since the surgery), and then back to Community Care for physical, speech and occupational therapy in the afternoon. Andy has also been blessed with visits from friends throughout the day, and while he may be snoozing or catching up on rest when each of you arrives, he knows you're there, and the memories you spur just by being there to see him are building the neuron pathways to recovery.

Radiation treatments are slated to begin this week, and once we know the schedule, I'll post at least a brief review of them here, so folks will know when he'll be off site for his therapy visits. We know many of you travel long distances to share time with Andy, and I will make every effort to keep everyone aware of the schedule here.

We read the guestbook comments regularly, and your words of encouragement truly serve to keep our spirits up. Thank you, thank you!

Hank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Journal TUESDAY, JUNE 7, 2011 6:45 AM, PDT

The Road Ahead......
    Monday began with a visit to physical therapy, and then off to the neurosurgeon for a follow-up visit. Andy's able to lift weights with the left arm, and is getting stronger each day. He continues to work on building his strength and balance to support his weight in standing, and the progress is encouraging. He spent more time awake today than any day prior, and although his day was full of activity, he engaged with folks throughout the day and seemed to enjoy getting outdoors.

The neurosurgoen trip was for the purpose of checking the healing progress of the incision, and the report was very good. During the surgery, which was now two weeks ago, the surgeon was able to remove better than ninety percent of the tumor. The neurosurgeon inserted chemo wafers at the site of the tumor during the procedure as well, and they began working to attack the malignant cells immediately. Andy will begin focused radiation over the next several weeks for the purpose of halting the growth of the remaining cells.

So many of you have contacted me to share your own story, or the stories of friends or relatives, who have faced this very difficult challenge. Cancer reseach and experimental treatment is perhaps the greatest frontier of current medical exploration, and as you can imagine, the learning curve for us has been virtually verticle. A few of you have stepped to serve as guides in our understanding, and we truly appreciate the advice/knowledge of trusted friends. Perhaps the greatest lessons learned to date include the fact that every cancer case is unique, treatment varies widely within the medical community, and that the reality of having the "C"-word enter your life will challenge your strength of conviction and remind you of you love of life on a daily basis. There are good people working behind the scenes to provide hope in even the darkest moments though, and remaining focused on the daily work of recovery and guiding your own treatment plan are of paramount importance each day.

In addition to all of the advancements in cancer treatment, we are also learning about the importance of diet and balancing your body's system, as key elements in mitigating or even preventing cancer. Much is yet to be learned, and again, every case is different. We approach each day with hope, building our knowledge, asking questions, and working in concert with our treatment team to effect positive physical progress each day.

Your prayers and continued words of encouragement are deeply appreciated as we travel the road ahead. We are truly blessed to have a wonderful (and very, very big) family. ....Warmest regards.....Karen
    Hank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast