Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help with an idea

Post Thanks / Like

Question need help with an idea

so here is my idea.. the area i live in (oklahoma city) is almost impossable to find a parking spot with out having to use vallet.. had an idea to keep them from "playing with my toys"
    is it possable to use a rev limiter set insainly low( maybe just above 2k) with a keyed power switch (to turn the unit on and off) to keep them from hotrodding? thoughts on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That is a very good idea.

Maybe some of the handheld tuners can be used to do it by having one of the presets tunes set with a really low rev limit. You could keep it behind the seat and flash it just prior to pulling up to the valet. I don't know if constantly using the hand held tuner would cause PCM problems down the road.

I have the HP Tuner and know it can be flashed, but that would require you to do it with the PC at location which would be a real hassle.
    Last edited by VD2021; 08-03-2011 at 04:51 PM.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    That is actually not a bad idea!
    I am starting to look at onboard PC's for my head unit loaded with logging and tuning software with different "tune" mode's mainly because my wife wants to drive the GTM, but a vallet mode....... I like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser D View Post
    I am starting to look at onboard PC's for my head unit loaded with logging and tuning software with different "tune" mode's mainly because my wife wants to drive the GTM, but a vallet mode....... I like that.
    Man Card Warning Alert !!
    This action might constitute a violation to your Man Card
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser D View Post
    More good stuff.

I am researching the "Carputer" as well. I actually down loaded the Centrafuse frontend 30 trial. It may be the most popular front end.

With the PC as the vehicles head unit you could easily flash the PCM with the rev-limited tune.

F,
    I know there are many ways to implement a carputer. I've seen then as simple as an old laptop mounted under the seat, a Lilliput touch screen and a power inverter. What components are you looking at if you go with the Carputer?

My wife is saying would like to drive my GTM too. I have the full C5 Active Handling System installed. It should help.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    What about setting up an RFID valet Key? The new Boss Mustangs have them and it's pretty exciting technology...

Post Thanks / Like
    With all the various third-party rev limiters you can add, I am sure there should be some way to wire one in and simply toggle its power with a switch under the dash or connect it to a remote that allows extra 12v outputs even...

Post Thanks / Like
    How about forcing the PCM into limp mode? A switch to create something like a false overtemp condition or so...
    Maybe not the best for your engine but better than some a$$ crashing your GTM.
    Haven't experienced limp mode myself, just throwing it in as an idea.

/Thomas

Post Thanks / Like
    Or you could wire a switch that interrupts a few injector signal wires...turn the v8 into a 4 banger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spytech View Post
    Or you could wire a switch that interrupts a few injector signal wires...turn the v8 into a 4 banger.
    ha, i was going to say pull 4 plug wires...
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Pulling plug wires will kill your catalytic convertors from the unignited fuel.Killing fuel injectors will throw the O2 sensors off and overly lean out the remaining cylinders.

While I do not know about GM engine controls, many OEM ECUs have been figured out. I'm sure some GM tuner can/has modified the program for a variable redline, based on a certain input or combo of inputs. Any tuner that can add "launch control" to a OEM ECU can use the same basic principals to add a valet mode.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto51 View Post
    Man Card Warning Alert !!
    This action might constitute a violation to your Man Card
    That is a risk that I will take.
    My youngest is not quite 6 months old so it was either say "Yes Dear" or lock the garage for a couple of years.
    Sometimes it is better to just bend a little rather than be bludgeoned to death in your sleep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    More good stuff.

I am researching the "Carputer" as well. I actually down loaded the Centrafuse frontend 30 trial. It may be the most popular front end.

With the PC as the vehicles head unit you could easily flash the PCM with the rev-limited tune.

F,
    I know there are many ways to implement a carputer. I've seen then as simple as an old laptop mounted under the seat, a Lilliput touch screen and a power inverter. What components are you looking at if you go with the Carputer?

My wife is saying would like to drive my GTM too. I have the full C5 Active Handling System installed. It should help.
    Vidal,

I have only got as far as to do the usual internet searches and pass along to a couple of friends the spec's of the units that have the look and basic features that I like for comment.
    A good friend wants to write all the software, set up the graphical and physical interfaces.
    As soon as I get a few more build boxes ticked I will personally get serious about it, hopefully in the next month or so when I start body work.
    Nothing like manual labor to let the mind think about these things.
    I should have more detail here soon and will start a new thread specifically about "Carputers" as I see these builds getting a little more complex with software controlled traction and in my case boost control.

Cheers

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    More good stuff.

F,

funny yall should mention carputing.. ive been deeply into this idea for a while now you should check out a fourm im on MP3CAR DOT COM they sell lots of products and have lots of different ideas.. there is also mo-co-so dot com they have some different computing solutions from mp3car but it all leads back to the same end

Post Thanks / Like
    i was thinking more along the lines of having a hard key(read metal key) instead of a soft key like an rfid. more like an alternet ignition using a real key instead of the soft key and pushbutton start.. an example would be having a regular keyed ignition that would cut power to the push button start system and turn on the rev-limiter and crank the motor. its kind of along the lines of the cable select therory used in computing.. eg if there is power going to hard drive A then input from hard drive A is to be used before input from hard drive B but if A draws NULL power the B is master once more

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a very good idea.

Maybe some of the handheld tuners can be used to do it by having one of the presets tunes set with a really low rev limit. You could keep it behind the seat and flash it just prior to pulling up to the valet. I don't know if constantly using the hand held tuner would cause PCM problems down the road.

I have the HP Tuner and know it can be flashed, but that would require you to do it with the PC at location which would be a real hassle.
    over flashing tends to wear out the pcm.. buddy of mine used to flash his honda every friday so he could race it on the weekend and reflash it monday to make it his "daily" again and ended up having to grab a new one from pick-a-part.. granted he did this every week for a year and a half before it died and given the age (90's crx) of the pcm but all things considered i would look for something different. but i think you might be on the right path..
    Last edited by afourcault; 08-04-2011 at 07:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aftermarket ECUs have mutiple maps available at the flip of a switch. For instance the F88 ECU I am using in the GTM-R has a switch so that I can detune the engine down and set the traction control for rain conditions. It also has a button on the steering wheel that will limit pit speed to 25 MPH. Pretty simple stuff for a non-factory ECU, and I would bet that something could be easily made up to do this with a factory ECU also.

Probably a simple rev limiter function combined with a switched mode switch for "valet". If need be a simple pulse doubler or halver could be used to accomplish this externally.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Funny stuff. I used to upload a rev-limit tune when bringing the car for inspections,
    or e-tests.

There are several ways to mess up the tune as everyone is aware. You can toggle the
    MAF, ECT, or IAT using a max load resistor.

The computer will see "super hot engine coolant temp" and pull timing, alter fuel curves, etc. Intake air
    would do roughly the same, but not nearly as intense at the ECT.

I've never tried to fool the sensor with a toggle, but I know the PCM maps will resort to
    different cell locations based on temperatures, manifold pressure, TPS, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, triggering the MAF (toggle an open condition on the signal line) will put
    the PCM in open loop > speed density mode. That may cause a drop in performance if the
    SD tune is "deliberately messed up".

EDIT: Another is to toggle the knock sensors. Set the max timing retard in the PCM memory.
    I think the LS series engines will cut at least 10 degrees of timing (Maybe more; I'll check HP Tuners when I have the chance).
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 08-17-2011 at 09:56 AM.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't one Corvette model come with a "valet" switch? It was a few years ago and I'm not a 'Vette guy so I may be wrong.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    The MSD 6AL ignition box comes with "Pills" that you plug in that limits the engine's RPMS. The
    'pills' come in different increments. Plug in a 2500 RPM pill and you are good to go.
    Cowards are vile, vicious and vindictive in private, but innocent and charming in front of witnesses; no-one can, or wants to believe this individual has a vindictive nature - only the current target of the coward's aggression sees both sides.

Stress filled occasions do not make heroes or cowards; they simply unveil them to the eyes of men .........................

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to be a valet to help pay through grad school. I resent the general stigma that all valets are bad hodrodding idiots.

While I admit to "gunning" the odd exotic, or high horsepower machinery. I've always done so as safely as possible. (When the roads were devoid of pedestrians, or in our secured parking garage.) Never did I drive out of the way, other than directly to the parking garage.

Let the valet have some fun. We earn those nice cars by driving hundreds of puke and diaper smelling minivans a day, and standing on our feet all day. Most of us have better drivers training/education than the average Corvette driver that comes strutting in. If the car is nice and looks taken care of we'll baby it, imagining it were our own.

Please don't patronize valets, by acting as if your cobra kit car is the real thing. We know it's not, sometimes we'll play along seeing you want to impress your trophy wife/girlfriend. - but only if you're nice to us. Besides many of us consider the kits far superior to the 400 odd museum pieces that aren't driven.

Many of us, like myself, have Skip Barber Racing school training. Some of my colleagues race competitively in SCCA and drag race events. Suffice to say, we know what we're doing.

Of course I can't speak for all valets, there are idiots among us in this, like any other profession. Usually they don't last long. It also helps to valet your car at a reputable hotel with an nationally recognized valet company.

--

All that said, being courteous to your valet goes a lot further than most "nanny" devices.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the real cringe factor for most of us, at least myself, is that we are handing the keys to a car that we've spent thousands of hours on over to a complete stranger. I don't care if the valet is a former F1 driver - I'm not going to trust them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooluser23 View Post
    I used to be a valet to help pay through grad school. I resent the general stigma that all valets are bad hodrodding idiots.

While I admit to "gunning" the odd exotic, or high horsepower machinery. I've always done so as safely as possible. (When the roads were devoid of pedestrians, or in our secured parking garage.) Never did I drive out of the way, other than directly to the parking garage.

Let the valet have some fun. We earn those nice cars by driving hundreds of puke and diaper smelling minivans a day, and standing on our feet all day. Most of us have better drivers training/education than the average Corvette driver that comes strutting in. If the car is nice and looks taken care of we'll baby it, imagining it were our own.

Please don't patronize valets, by acting as if your cobra kit car is the real thing. We know it's not, sometimes we'll play along seeing you want to impress your trophy wife/girlfriend. - but only if you're nice to us. Besides many of us consider the kits far superior to the 400 odd museum pieces that aren't driven.

Many of us, like myself, have Skip Barber Racing school training. Some of my colleagues race competitively in SCCA and drag race events. Suffice to say, we know what we're doing.

Of course I can't speak for all valets, there are idiots among us in this, like any other profession. Usually they don't last long. It also helps to valet your car at a reputable hotel with an nationally recognized valet company.

--

All that said, being courteous to your valet goes a lot further than most "nanny" devices.
    Your response, is exactly the reason that I would never let a valet parking attendant drive any of my cars; much less my GTM.

If valets don't like the ridicule, then they shouldn't treat your car as though it's their personal race car. I had a Valet "Parking Attendant" take my BMW through a crowded parking lot fast enough to make the tires scream as he attempted to make the turn around a sharp corner. In the process he came very close to hitting my daughter and her husband.

When they came into the restaurant and met us at the table, the first words from them was that some idiot almost ran over them in MY car. I immediately when back outside and confronted the Valet. Guess what he did... This will probably shock you... He lied, and said that it never happened.

So I smiled, went back into the restaurant. I spoke to the owner of the restaurant (who happens to be a good friend of ours).

Oddly enough, by the time I returned to my family at the table, "Mario" no longer worked there.

And as for your plea to let the Valet have some fun... Please...

Why to they think it's their right to take someone Else's property and treat it like dirt? I can be very easy to over-rev some of these engines. Would they be willing to pay for a rebuild if they broke the engine? I seriously doubt it! Why? Because, like you, most of them are kids working their way through college, that wouldn't be able to afford that sort of expense.

In many cases, Skip Barber "training" does little more than make people believe that they have far more skill behind the wheel, than they actually do. So spare me. Only when you've attended (and passed) a series of sequential courses, requiring higher and higher expertise, can you actually claim that you've had "Skip Barber" training that made a difference. Being allowed to run a few laps in one day doesn't really get you there.

I attended The Richard Petty Driving Experience... Does that mean that I am now qualified to race in the Cup Series? Absolutely not. It was simply a day of fun in a high speed car on the Charlotte Speedway. Just like 99% of all people who attend Skip Barber or most other "Race Schools".

With THAT said, being courteous to your customers, is part of the Valet's job!
    Last edited by The Stig; 08-19-2011 at 08:54 AM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew this was going this direction, but I wasn't going to be the one to get the ball rolling.

That said, hey cooluser, if you had really "...earned those nice cars..." like most of the actual owners did, then I do believe you would have just as much ridicule, maybe even more after seeing the flip side and based on your comments, about turning over not only a very expensive car, but your pride and joy that is virtually irreplacable.

And if you really take offense to people pigeon holing valets, you may want to think before you write some of your comments. They don't seem to do much for your position of argument.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Crash,

The bottom line, is that there are more and more people who feel that they are "Entitled" to specific rights that they have not earned. I think that's what irritated me more than anything else in his post. The fact that he feels that he has "earned" the right to take whatever liberties he wishes with other people's property says it all. (Oh but wait... He waits until he gets into the safety of the Secured Parking Garage). Give me a break.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

--

I guess we see things a bit differently.
    I was brought up that "you treat others property as just that, someone else's"
    A couple years back a friend I knew online for many years came up this way and we met for dinner.
    He drives into the restraunt lot in a MB 600SL
    We have dinner and then are BS'ing out in the lot and he tosses me the keys.
    I tossed them back and said I'd love to go for a ride but don't want to be driving if some fool decides to hit your $100,000.00 car.
    He understood and yea, it was a nice ride.
    Point is that one has to respect other peoples property for the simple reason that it is their's, not yours.

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

With this attitude, I'd never let you near my car or anyone else's. What gives you the "Right" to disrespect any others property. It's not your place to judge the value, either real or perceived, of anothers property! If you have any skills in piloting a race car, let it be yours, not the poor trusting person who hands their keys to you.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't agree with the above comments more.

I've said it many times about driving the FFR PDG GTM owned by Richard and Yvonne. Yeah, I'm not as fast as I would like to be in it, but I also try and leave a little on the table since it isn't my race car.

Also reminds me of when Mike Downs brought his GTM out to Button Willow and asked me if I wanted to take it for a spin out on the road. I tried to gratiously avoid the issue because I simply didn't want to drive someone elses pride and joy on a public road for fear of what someone else may do while I was driving. Hope he didn't take any offense to me not taking him up on the offer, but truthfully, I feel I could competently repair the FFR PDG GTM in a week or two, no matter how badly it was damaged while I was driving it, but a nicely put together GTM street car might be another story.

"Do unto others..."
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    lol i couldnt agree more with the lot of you.. which is why im trying to figure something out before the time comes for me to NEED something like this.. as i want my gtm to be a daily driver.. which i know most of you are cringing at. but then again i am the type of person who finds it pointless to own something you rarely use... its like having a hot girlfriend/wife but you arnt allowed to sleep with her.. its pointless to me..
    Though you may try, you cannot break me. I am all that you wish you were but will never be.
    my prebuild/idea log

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL

Yeah, I had a girlfriend in college that was a real knock out. Problem was, she never embraced her own good looks. We'd walk into a club or bar and I would almost get into fights right off because she would go up to both guys and girls and say stuff like "What the F are you staring at!" I never understood this attitude. If you don't want the attention of others, and more to your point, if you don't want someone looking at your girlfriend/wife, then why are you hanging out with a stunningly beautiful woman, or doing any number of other things to make yourself attractive?

Anyway, back to the topic, I believe there are many different ways you can go about this to get it to work.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never and will never have a Valet park any car I own. If the rules are valet only, I do not go, period. I can always park somewhere and it is insured.

If I am going somewhere where the valet or park at own risk I drive something else, Not the GTM or coupe or Z, JMHO.

Earned, he really said earned, ROFLMAO, Richard.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Didn't one Corvette model come with a "valet" switch? It was a few years ago and I'm not a 'Vette guy so I may be wrong.

Ray
    yes there was a brief window where this was an option.. it had to do with a smartkey(read chipped key) that limited the mph to under 20 regardless of rpm/gear
    . another thing i was looking into and thought would be a very nice luxury for those who want a fully loaded car.. cruise controll. thoughts on this?
    Though you may try, you cannot break me. I am all that you wish you were but will never be.
    my prebuild/idea log

Post Thanks / Like
    anyone have any ideas on weather or not this would work or is this already an option given that the gtm is based albeit loosely on the corvette?
    my prebuild/idea log

Post Thanks / Like
    cruise control is do-able. There is a good sticky on it on the other forum that Lawrence put together years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    EFILive has a custom operating system (for the GM PCM). Notes from their website...

Valet Mode
    Valet mode provides a secondary rpm and speed limit that you can program into your PCM. When you flip a hidden switch, connected directly to the PCM, the vehicle is restricted to the preset valet RPM and speed limits. (This option is not compatible with N2O Control)

The above is for GEN III PCMs. They also have a way to do it with GEN IVs, but it looks like you need their V2.
    Last edited by mmaragos; 08-24-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spytech View Post
    cruise control is do-able. There is a good sticky on it on the other forum that Lawrence put together years ago.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I thought I read that the cruise control can be used as long as you are using the LS1 related ECU and Engine Harness. I have the LS2 with the newer Engine harness, and recently learned that it doesn't support cruise control. Apparently that works through the BCU system, in the newer cars.

If someone has comeup with a way to get it to work without using the BCU, I'd really like to learn how to do it as well. Please share.

Thanks,
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    If I was starting from scratch with a GEN IV engine that uses a 58X reluctor wheel, I would consider swapping to a 24X wheel (or use a converter box) and a GEN III harness and PCM. You also need to swap the MAP sensor and a few other things - but all very doable and things that have been done. This gives you cruise control and you could use EFILive to get a valet switch. Plus, it will properly control A/C, etc. This is all stuff you don't get with the GM crate engine controllers.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's basically what I did as well, minus using EFILive for the valet stuff. Not too much of a pain to get the appropriate adapter harnesses. Casper's has them all.

My cruise however, does NOT work despite using Lawrence's instructions. He mentions one wire as possibly being optional (he wasn't sure), so I didn't connect it. It was the abs signal wire I think. I'm thinking now the system needs that signal to operate at all, oh well. Connecting that wire now would be immensely difficult with the fuse box all hidden away, etc. Some day maybe I'll try to tackle it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by afourcault View Post
    yes there was a brief window where this was an option.. it had to do with a smartkey(read chipped key) that limited the mph to under 20 regardless of rpm/gear
    . another thing i was looking into and thought would be a very nice luxury for those who want a fully loaded car.. cruise controll. thoughts on this?
    I have cruise, Full Active Handling with Competition Mode, ABS, Day Time Running Lights, Day light Sentential Auto Head lights. It's actually easier to state what's not on my build and functioning 100%. That would be the ride control system.

Cruise control can be wired with a stock PCM, Outside of stock I'm not sure.
    Last edited by VD2021; 02-16-2012 at 07:56 AM.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Aren't you Mr Fancy Pants Wiring Man

lmao

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast