Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Roadster vs Coupe

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster vs Coupe

Who's got insight into this question? Driven both..... What are your thoughts? Given similar engines etc. how different do they handle? What would you prefer? I love the idea of a coupe but the roadster has had me smitten since I saw it in the middle of some skin mag as a kid. To be honest I couldn't tell you what mag, nor any of the girls in it but that center spread of two snakes........ I've been hooked ever since. So.... Discuss!

Daniel

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Daniel,

I think that for most people, it's a choice of what they have wanted for a long time, not which is better than the other. I prefer the Coupe, as it has a very distinct personality, and a very limited number were produced. Aerodynamically it's superior to the Roaster with like drive trains, and Pete Brock, who I hold in high regard designed the car. You can have AC, and some creature comforts that do not perform well in the Roadster. For me, its the history and the very distinctive looks that drove me to select the Coupe over the Roadster.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

3. Likes flyingfarley liked this post

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Daniel,

I have owned and driven both coupe and roadster. The coupe is going to handle better in most cases because of the 5" longer wheelbase. My coupe has IRS and my roadster had the 4 link suspension ... the coupe has a nicer ride and handles better than the roadster did. However, I haven't driven an FFR roadster with IRS so it's kind of "apples vs. oranges." I love the coupe for a number of reasons ... they are relatively rare, compared to the roadster ... I have loved the unique aerodynamic shape ever since I first saw a picture of one in the mid '60's ... you do have protection from the weather, to a certain extent ... and I love driving it!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    i have both and enjoy both, like having 2 completely diferent girlfriends, if I had to choose between the 2......................probably the roadster.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's just whatever excites you personally. I love them both, but one major decision maker for me was the sheer number of replica roadsters, versus coupes. How many coupes have you ever seen on the road? Very Very rare... I like to be different.

Post Thanks / Like
    John is right, That was a large factor forme to everybody and there uncle has a roadster ( just look in E-Bay you will see 100 roadster and maybe one coupe) also when it is hot I will have A/C but when is cools off at night coupe is much better.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I own both, I built a mk1 in 1998 and still have it and it still brings a smile to my face everytime I drive it. When I built the coupe I took lessons learned and added power steering, power brakes and IRS. Not because they were needed but because I could. I wanted a car that was comfortable on long trips, one that once you arrived you didn't have to sit in a chair for 15 minuets until your ears stopped ringing. You might be able to have a sound system you could actually hear so the many miles would pass by quicker. This is where it gets personal. I have never been a long distance driver, I get bored easily and music would help pass the time, I just do not know how guys like Ralph Button stay awake! :-) I love the coupe but if i could keep just one it would be the roadster, why? Well because I'm lazy and the roadster is easy to just jump in and go, universally people love it and it's simple.
    My coupe is more comfortable to drive and I love the power steering and power brakes. Getting into it is harder but is pretty simple now that I have refined my method. Just so you get a perspective , I have a hardtop for my roadster and the opening for getting in and out of the car is only 1/2" different between the two.
    The coupe is still too loud with the stock ffr exhaust so that is something I still need to deal with but should be doable to get the tunes I'd like. On the freeway you can talk to your passenger in the coupe.
    The coupe is harder and more expensive to build. I guess the best answer is do what I did and build and keep BOTH, problem solved! :-)

It boils down to what you want, both are fun cars but totally different !

Post Thanks / Like
    Build both eh? HMMMM OK how's this sound.

Build a roadster. Put a 5.0 in it. Drive it. Save pennies and get both a coupe and a 427..... Build the coupe swap the 5.0 into said coupe. Drive it. Put 427 in Roadster...... Now I have a 427 roadster and a 5.0 Coupe. KEEP BOTH!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Resurrecting this old thread as it is the topic I am currently considering. My son wants the coupe, but I have wanted the roadster nearly my whole life. We live in the very frigid north (at least the last few weeks), Wisconsin. It seems like the coupe will be slightly more practical. For some reason, I am probably over hung-up on the coupe window options. Thoughts from those that have had both and/or done recent builds? Cost is certainly a consideration, but not too much. We plan on using our old school foxbody donor, but likely upgrading the suspension.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had both. In only slightly less frigid Michigan. Yes, the Coupe will extend the driving season a bit. We went to a couple of events last fall that we might not have in the Roadster. But to be honest you could get the same result with a top on a Roadster. I personally don't have an issue with the optional side windows. No, they don't roll up/down and aren't a perfect seal in case of rain. But they block the wind and noise. Important in the Coupe. Somehow an open top Roadster, or a Roadster with a top and clip-in windows, is a better choice? About the same and honestly not a decision factor in my opinion. Of course the several thousand dollar FormaCar roll-up windows are an option and look very nice.

As far as the actual differences: The Coupe in my experience is a slightly harder build. Mainly because of the body fitting, tilt nose, doors, bonded windshield, etc. Also because it's likely to have complications like A/C. It's also a bit more expensive because of options typically added plus body and paint work. Shops will charge more because more hours and material are required. They drive very similarly although the Coupe feels bigger on the road. With the longer wheelbase I think it rides a little better. That plus being enclosed we find cruising in the Coupe to be more relaxing and we can ride longer. The hatch area in the Coupe has more useable space than the trunk in the Coupe. If that matters. Everybody recognizes a Roadster (Cobra) but many less will know what the Coupe is. Not a bad thing. Draws a ton of attention everywhere it goes. The Coupe is a little harder to get in and out of, although similar to a Roadster with a top. Gets better with practice. They're both awesome. You'll have a blast building and driving either one.

As for your Fox body donor -- personally I'm a huge fan of IRS. We've had solid axle and IRS. Hands down the IRS rides and drives better. So no parts there if you go that way. The front suspension I'd highly recommend the Factory Five lower control arms and spindles. I'm not even sure the Coupe will take donor spindles. Seem to recall it doesn't but hasn't ever been in my build plan so can't confirm. The 5.0 engine will obviously work. Not sure about what transmission you have. I'm not an expert on donor builds so others plus research can help learn more if you go that way. Fewer and fewer are though. Good luck.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-16-2021 at 11:34 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll jump in. I have built several roadsters and a coupe. My feeling is the coupe rides and handles better but is LOUD with the FFR exhaust. It is a little harder to get in and for me after a long drive, harder to get out. I built an early coupe and it required a huge amount of body work, something FFR has corrected to some extent. My coupe had IRS which I'm sure improved the ride, although I built a roadster with IRS and it still didn't ride as nice as the coupe. In a cold climate the coupe would be more driveable but for that matter, I live in Massachusetts and have driven my roadsters every month of the year. If it were me, I'd go with the roadster. After 2 roadsters then a coupe, I went back to another roadster (then a GTM, another roadster and now a 33HR).

Post Thanks / Like
    I think my son is starting to win me over on the Coupe. It may require a re-think on the use of our 1992 Convertible as the donor though. Our car is pretty nice and I have been doing upgrades over the last few years in anticipation that most would go on the Roadster. Looking closer at the Coupe packages it seems I will end up using a lot less of what I currently have. In fact, the difference between basic & complete kits seems relatively minor. Without the constraint of fully using the donor, options like IRS seem a lot more reasonable. Perhaps I hold onto the Convertible for now and sell it when we are close to finished on the Coupe. Thanks for the input.