Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  33

Thread: Cars won't make you happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Cars won't make you happy.

This came across my desktop today. I hope this isn't too touchy-feely for you all but it does give you something to think about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid...ature=youtu.be

2. Likes GoDadGo liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I Bet He Never Built A Factory Five!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-18-2021 at 01:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by godadgo View Post
    i bet he never built a factory five!
    lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I agree with the premise. If you get into the hobby to impress others you're probably in it for the wrong reasons.

I still double-take a look in the garage after 14 years so this pretty much doesn't apply to me...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

6. Likes MSumners, kgkeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to think that kit cars like the FFRs are far more personal to their owners than the average custom car. This being due to the increased amount of owner involvement in their very creation.

Further, because of this I would suggest that they are built more for the owner than anybody else.

8. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, that's 3 minutes of my life I won't get back. I think he should change the title to "I don't know what I want, so you can't know either". I happen to have a 93
    RX-7 sitting in my garage keeping the Cobra company (It's my sons). It's not my thing, but then again, that's why car companies produce different models.
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

Post Thanks / Like
    All I know is my car is in paint now and gone for the next 2-3 months. I am lost without it and have no idea what to do with myself. I spent all weekend staring at the wall. Soon my wife will take over my project list which can be devastating.

Guess a Wenkel engine isn't the answer.
    MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

11. Likes GoDadGo, Al_C, Joel Hauser, j33ptj, nucjd19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdonnel View Post
    Well, that's 3 minutes of my life I won't get back. I think he should change the title to "I don't know what I want, so you can't know either". I happen to have a 93
    RX-7 sitting in my garage keeping the Cobra company (It's my sons). It's not my thing, but then again, that's why car companies produce different models.
    I warned you that it might be touchy-feely but you watched it anyways LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by narly1 View Post
    I warned you that it might be touchy-feely but you watched it anyways LOL.
    And We Loved It Anyway Mr. Narly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    I agree with the premise. If you get into the hobby to impress others you're probably in it for the wrong reasons.

I still double-take a look in the garage after 14 years so this pretty much doesn't apply to me...

I agree with David. My car makes ME happy.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

15. Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have built a number of cars over the years and they all make me smile and I often find myself taking a peak in the garage to get a 'fix'. Very true what others have said, I chose my cars to make me happy and not to impress anybody else. I think that's the key.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

17. Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    I have built a number of cars over the years and they all make me smile and I often find myself taking a peak in the garage to get a 'fix'. Very true what others have said, I chose my cars to make me happy and not to impress anybody else. I think that's the key.
    Like I said before the very "build it the way you want it" nature of these FFR cars leads to a higher level of owner contentment.

19. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That guy really needs to build a Factory Five to know what car love is.

There's nothing as good as seeing a cool expensive car (Ferrari, Maserati, etc.) and thinking, "Meh, all he did was write a check. but I built mine".
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

21. Likes narly1, Al_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My car has made THOUSANDS of OTHER PEOPLE happy - the thumbs-up, toots, and hollar's is what motivates me to take out the car. I don't need the attention, I'm just glad people are thrilled to see and hear it!

23. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey Eddie! NICE CAR!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post
    My car has made THOUSANDS of OTHER PEOPLE happy - the thumbs-up, toots, and hollar's is what motivates me to take out the car. I don't need the attention, I'm just glad people are thrilled to see and hear it!
    I just went to get gas and drop off a package at U.P.S. and I can't believe the attention the car gets at every outing.
    I've had more than my fair share of nice Hot Rods and other assorted Cool Cars over the years, but this is ridiculous.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-19-2021 at 04:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Happiness is in the eye of the beholder.

I have had many cars and motorcycles. I currently have a 2015 BMW x1 35i M-Sport in white. 2 different BMW dealers have called it a unicorn. It's stock. Also have a 2010 Harley CVO Ultra Classic in Hot Citrus and Burnt Orange - another rarity and I have made mods to that one. Either one, I sometimes look back after parking and say "damn!"

Read once that if you don't turn around and look as you walk away you bought the wrong vehicle.

When I eventually get my FFR built I'll probably die by tripping over something whilst walking away from it backwards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Knowing that your own two hands touched every bolt, every square inch of bodywork, and every running system in your car is a feeling that money can't buy.
    Last edited by narly1; 01-19-2021 at 09:00 PM.

28. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I drove my FF roadster to a dentist appointment this morning. It was 35 degrees outside. I still had a smile on my face. I built the guitars I play, the car I drive, the motorcycle I ride. If I bought a new Martin D28, a new corvette or new "retro" Triumph Bonneville, I'd just feel and look like an old man trying to impress someone of the opposite sex. I build things for me. These things make me happy. There is nothing wrong with that.

30. Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting video. His mistake with his RX-7 was in not holding out for an R1 model, then he’d feel differently.

I’ve got an e36 M3, picked it up about 8 years ago to have a fun car to drive while finishing my Daytona. The Daytona’s still not done (body work is taking a bit too long, I’m not that good at it apparently...). But, having the M3 has also changed my thinking in what I want out of my fun cars. It’s probably the best car I’ve owned. It drives great, is comfortable, can be used for any of the motorsports I’m interested in (autocross & road rally and, with a cage and taller suspension, would be good for performance rally), and is easy to work on & parts are relatively cheap. It even draws some attention now and then. But, the most dangerous thing it has done is changed my thinking about the Daytona. I originally wanted to build a replica of CSX2299 when it wore #5 at Le Mans in 1964 and wanted to do as much as I can on it. As of right now the only things I haven’t done myself are engine machine work & balancing and rear diff assembly. Putting the engine together was a challenge but, after dialing in the Webers pretty well, it revs really quickly & smoothly and pulls strong. I’ve autocrossed it a couple of times but the ancient billboards really killed the performance.

So now I’m rethinking the Daytona. It will work for summertime pavement activities but really won’t work for rally or rallycross. I was hoping it would fill more purposes but then found the M3. And the M3 is roughly 1/4 the cost so far of the Daytona. Perhaps it’s time to cut my losses, stop all of the thinking, rethinking, & redoing the seemingly endless to-do list, sell it, roll the majority of the money back into savings, and buy a ready-to-go log-booked car (like a Miata so I could go to the track to watch some racing in these days of non-spectator club racing).

No, cars don’t always make you happy. They can but, if you take too long, it can turn into a chore and kill the hobby for you. I’m dipping my toe in the 3d printing hobby pond right now, is fun.
    George T

Type 65 Coupe #338, Picked Up 4-Aug-07, Roller on 8-Mar-09, 1st start 8-Sep-13, 1st Autocross 7-Oct-18, finished sanding & sprayed paint myself 6-Nov-21, IRS/LCA/Koni/traditional gages/Kirkey/pin-drive rear width/15" Torq-Thrust Ds/44IDFs/Brodix ST5.0R heads/Eagle internal-balance crankshaft/oil pan by Armando/home-made turkey pan/S-10 mid-shift T5

Post Thanks / Like
    I have owned my BMW Z1 for over 27years now. Aside from replacing the steering wheel, the K&N Filter, the shocks and the addition of a front air splitter (and the third radio), it is pretty much stock, but then it is a pretty unique car!

It gives me pleasure when I drive it, so my car does make me happy!! But then I bought it for me well before the internet even existed....
    Attached Images Attached Images

33. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j33ptj View Post
    I have owned my BMW Z1 for over 27years now. Aside from replacing the steering wheel, the K&N Filter, the shocks and the addition of a front air splitter (and the third radio), it is pretty much stock, but then it is a pretty unique car!

It gives me pleasure when I drive it, so my car does make me happy!! But then I bought it for me well before the internet even existed....
    Interesting car! I've never seen one of those before...

35. Likes j33ptj liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nor I Super Dave, Nor I!

What a crazy car with "Sliding Doors" to make it really unique.

37. Likes j33ptj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had my license for 40 years and bought my first car when I was 15 (left it at a friends so I didn't have to tell my parents I was the proud owner of a '69 Charger). Over all those years, I've owned (and sold) almost too many cars to remember. When asked why I sold a car, my usual reply......... "it wasn't the answer."

That said, there are cars that have brought me pleasure - whether it came from driving, caretaking, restoring, proving it can't beat me with all its problems, just looking at beautiful lines, or other reasons. But, I can't say that any of them, FFR7074 included, have brought me happiness. That's reserved for God and my wife.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

39. Likes RRussellTx, Al_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are ever only 8000build, never imported during the production time to the US, there are a few (probably less 100) now imported as old timers in to the US.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just walked into my shop with my three cats in tow along with Hershey our Choco-Lato-Lab and looked at my car.
    I Smiled, Actually Grinned, So Yes These Cars Can Give Us Some Joy & Happiness!
    If the weather is nice tomorrow I'll likely take Mrs. Go-Dad out to lunch, in our Rebone Roadster of course.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-03-2021 at 09:36 PM.

42. Likes narly1, Joel Hauser liked this post

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Maybe it's because we are looking for happiness in the wrong place? You ever stop to help someone?
    A person broke down along the road
    A person you hear about that lost everything from a house fire
    A single parent whose only means to support for the family has the car quit running
    Yes even a person begging at the corner or along the street.

At a rest stop a young child runs over to look at your car. Parents catch up with the child telling him be careful don't touch the car. Only to have the owner of the car tell the child you want to sit in the car to see what it feels like. In their eagerness to climb in grabs the wind wing snapping the top of it off. Parents start yelling at the child out of fear, that this will be expensive. The owner sits on the ground next to the crying child to tell him... want to hear a short story?

When I finished painting the car I drove it out of the barn and not watching, in my eagerness I caught the rear corner of the car snapping it back and cracking the new expensive paint. Come with me to the other side of the car and I'll show you what happened. Run your hand over the cracks in the paint. The owner said, I have been driving that car ever since knowing it's just a car. The broken part is just a part I will replace later. To me it's still more important that you get to sit in the car, try out the seat belts, wear the leather helmet with the special goggles. And then after your parents take pictures of you in the car I have a new hat for you to take home! The child and parents when off happier. They never will know who the owner was as he never would tell them.

Getting involved can be messy, can require work, and sometimes gifts to help, but in the end don't you feel just a tiny bit happier at the end of the day? The car becomes just the tool to meet others and a few you get to see them walk away with a smile on their face. And you get a happy smile on your face as you drive on down the road. Happiness is found in giving not getting.
    Last edited by R. Button; 02-14-2021 at 07:10 PM.
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sitting at work with tears in my eyes. Thank you Ralph, your story is what it is really about to me.

Kindest regards,

Nigel in South Oz.
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Ralph Button is THE MAN!

46. Likes Garry Bopp liked this post