Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: All day in the Garage... Very Little Accomplished...

Post Thanks / Like

All day in the Garage... Very Little Accomplished...

I spent almost all day, trying once again to figure out how and where to mount the fuel system components...

Using the Aluminum Fuel tanks, and The fuel pump and filters are taking up much more time than I ever thought they would.

There just doesn't seem to be enough room to mount the pre-filter (100 micron) and the fuel pump in the area behind the driver's side tank.

I'm convinced that they both need to be mounted horizontally, on or as near the floor as possible.

The problem is that there is really only room for either the pump or the filter to be mounted on the floor. That means that the other has to be mounted somewhere close by; also horizontally.

The most logical place would be the outside panel (next to the tire). The filter can be mounted there, but the AN fittings between the fuel tank and the filter "intake" port are very close together, making it next to impossible to run a braided line with fittings without creating a loop and then attaching to the filter.

The problem with mounting the filter on the outer panel, is that it makes changing the filter cartridge pretty hard as well. The panel would need to be removed. But before the panel can be removed, the brake line and the fuel line to the filter would need to be disconnected.

Then I had a thought that I could make the floor panel removable for access to the pump and filter. But the pump is mounted to the floor, which means the same type of issues would exist...

The next idea, is to cut an opening into the outer panel to gain access to the filter and pump. Then make a cover panel that can taken off without needing to disconnect everything else.

It shouldn't be this tough. There must be something that I'm missing.

I did at least get the heat shield / sleeve onto the shifter cables...
    Last edited by The Stig; 02-14-2011 at 09:00 AM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Stig,
    keep pushing. My progress has slowed since the Holidays. I spent a lot of quality time with Family and I just finished a 3D Home Theater Project that had consumed a lot of my free time. I did finish my brakes with the EBCM this week-end. I had one bad flare that would not seal on the front drivers side that took only a few minutes to redo. I should be having an engine install party in the near future.

Any updates on the body?

R/s
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Vidal,

That's great news. You really are making great progress.

Looks like Jeff will be ready to mount the body later this week. Body was still at the body shop Friday, being finished up.

He said that he would send some pictures of it sometime this week. I'll post them when I have them.
    Last edited by The Stig; 02-14-2011 at 08:43 AM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought. Instead of trying to use AN hose between everything, have you considered just using some AN 90 degree fittings with unions between them? I don't know for sure if this would allow you to make more space, but it seems like you could essentially stack all 3 components very close to each other doing this, making for a very small foot-print for these items?.......Straight out of tank to pre-filter, 90 fitting>union>90 fitting (to essentially create a 180 degree fitting), then the pump, 90>union>90, then post filter? The final config would make a nice compact "S" shape?
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shane. I have thought of finding a way to link the components without needing the braided lines, but I wasn't sure how to go about it, and whether those type fitting existed. I honestly got frustrated late yesterday afternoon, and put everything back in place, and decided to clead up the garage a bit. The Garage looks MUCH BETTER!
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Hi Shane. I have thought of finding a way to link the components without needing the braided lines, but I wasn't sure how to go about it, and whether those type fitting existed. I honestly got frustrated late yesterday afternoon, and put everything back in place, and decided to clead up the garage a bit. The Garage looks MUCH BETTER!
    I have done the same exact thing...so many times.

I don't have the same components as you, but I did something like what Shane is talking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Buddy! I'm going to have to let my frustration settle down for a day or so before I dive back into this. I'll check with my new parts source (NASCAR) and see if they have the type of fittings that you and Shane mentioned. I need to pull the HVAC unit bacl out and put some sound and heat barrier in that part of the tunnel as well. So I guess I'll do that today.
    The Stig

GTM #0081