42 23.08%
  • No Top

7 3.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POLL: T-Top, Targa Top, Soft Top, No Top, hard top, coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

POLL: T-Top, Targa Top, Soft Top, No Top, hard top, coupe

Lots of discussions about different top designs and formats for this kit. Lots of pros and cons for each design. Let's get a vote for what you'd like to see in the kit!!!

We're early in the design obviously and eventually there may be options in the kit to do various top designs to pick and choose from, but lets see what each of us wants.

All top types listed here in the poll are assumed to be removable EXCEPT the Coupe (fixed roof).

Man! I'm gonna have to think about this... LOL
    Last edited by subyrod; 02-23-2011 at 03:28 PM.
    I have my FFR MR ??? donor car ready to go!

Post Thanks / Like
    I looking for a DD so it must have a DRY top, make it removable for nice days. Win/Win
    Mark III 4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

PM me if you live in Upstate New York. Get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 60+ members!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So, what kidn of top is that? Targa like the old 914s? Or removable hardtop?
    Quote Originally Posted by UpstateCobraGuy View Post
    I looking for a DD so it must have a DRY top, make it removable for nice days. Win/Win

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to be sure here are the basic explanations of the different options for those needing a little more info.

T-Top: 2 panel removable roof allowing for a stressed, structural beam on the roofline which increases rigidity and allows for a full roll-cage to be welded on. Also offers some portability and ease of install vs. a hard top. Can potentially be carried in the car when not installed allowing for quick removal/installation while away from home. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-top

Targa-Top: Like the T-top but removable roof-panel is just 1 piece. C-Pillar and rear-glass will be permanently mounted on body. Can potentially be carried in the car when not installed allowing for quick removal/installation while away from home. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targa_top

Soft top/Convertable: Self-explanatory, a removable fabric top that can be easily folded and carried around and erected in the cast of bad weather. Not for aesthetics. Also, kit soft-tops don't often fold but are assembled like a tent. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convertible

HardTop: Roofline and c-pillar/rear glass in one removable piece. Most easily sealed against weather as a removable option, most easily designed as an aesthetic component to the car. Can't be carried in the car when not installed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardtop

Coupe/Fixed roof- You can't take it off, chassis will have structural members along roofline allowing for greatest rigidity, safety and weight savings. Also will be quite hot in the summer if you don't install A/C. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup%C3%A9
    Last edited by BrandonDrums; 02-23-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Removable hardtop, just like FF states is the design for this car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I voted targa top, but being Italian and from NY naturally I had a IROC Z with T-tops and they were great. Twice a year rub a little vaseline on the seals an never a squeek or a leak, as long as I can take the top/tops with me, I'm good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by subyrod View Post
    You're right about the Targa top, Basically a removable roof in 1 piece leaving rear glass and b-pillar on the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by subyrod View Post
    I voted for the hard top, but a targa would work. Trade offs for both.
    Mark III 4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

PM me if you live in Upstate New York. Get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 60+ members!

Post Thanks / Like
    Coupe! or hard top. has to seal and be rain proof!

Post Thanks / Like
    I voted for a Targa top. My reasoning is that the car should have dual roll bars or one full-length roll bar to be safe. Hiding the bars under a removable hard-top could be tough and with a full top you have to decide before you leave the house whether or not it will rain.... since I am not very good at predicting the future, I like the idea of a Targa top that can be stowed within the vehicle. The body work necessary to support the rear of the targa top would also conceal the roll bars. The Targa top could be a simple fiberglass unit or it could be made out of a soft material making it easier to store on-board. I also just love the look of the Porsche 918, Bugatti Veyron Spyder, various Ferraris and Lambos with targas, etc. I hope the winning design will draw inspiration from that illustrious group.

-Jon A.
    FFR #5819 - Mk III, '90 GT Donor, 302 EFI, GT-40 Intake, 65mm TB, T5 Transmission, 4x4 headers, under-drive pulleys, 3G Alt., 3:08 gears, 3-link, 18:1 steering rack, "Street Package" from Winter '06 Sale. Picked kit up 11/18/06. Began Chassis Build-up 2/10/07. First Start 11/13/07. Go Carted 11/17/07. Road legal 5/12/10!! Did my own bodywork but had a pro shoot the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can easily fit dual rollbars under a hard-top, The FFR roadster's bars fit under all the hardtop options. Hopefully not an issue with this design.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
    I voted for a Targa top. My reasoning is that the car should have dual roll bars or one full-length roll bar to be safe. Hiding the bars under a removable hard-top could be tough and with a full top you have to decide before you leave the house whether or not it will rain.... since I am not very good at predicting the future, I like the idea of a Targa top that can be stowed within the vehicle. The body work necessary to support the rear of the targa top would also conceal the roll bars. The Targa top could be a simple fiberglass unit or it could be made out of a soft material making it easier to store on-board. I also just love the look of the Porsche 918, Bugatti Veyron Spyder, various Ferraris and Lambos with targas, etc. I hope the winning design will draw inspiration from that illustrious group.

-Jon A.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonDrums View Post
    You can easily fit dual rollbars under a hard-top, The FFR roadster's bars fit under all the hardtop options. Hopefully not an issue with this design.
    You can't fit FFR's Mk I - 3.1 Roll bars under most commercially available hard-tops without modification to the bars, the top or both. I am not sure on the Mk IV. I am not saying that you couldn't design bars and a top that fit but I am certain that you can't take a full top with you on a long trip. A full soft-top is expensive and, at least to my eye, not as cool looking as a well designed Targa top.

-Jon A.
    FFR #5819 - Mk III, '90 GT Donor, 302 EFI, GT-40 Intake, 65mm TB, T5 Transmission, 4x4 headers, under-drive pulleys, 3G Alt., 3:08 gears, 3-link, 18:1 steering rack, "Street Package" from Winter '06 Sale. Picked kit up 11/18/06. Began Chassis Build-up 2/10/07. First Start 11/13/07. Go Carted 11/17/07. Road legal 5/12/10!! Did my own bodywork but had a pro shoot the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Voted targa but prefer coupe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ya, I voted Coupe after thinking about what I'd really want. When I look at the K-1 Attack in track trim with its top, that's what I'd want this car to look like.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicrex View Post
    Voted targa but prefer coupe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I voted Coupe, because that is what I want. But I know I'll be in the minority. So my second choice is hardtop, but that still leaves out those that wanted a Targa or T-tops. So why not offer all of the above?

Seriously, I don't think it would add that much incremental design. You design it as a hardtop, but design the interface of top to car such that it would lend itself to permanent install (applying of a bonding agent, bolts instead of latches, etc). That gets you hardtop & Coupe. Soft-top would just be designing struts that fit into the hardtop mounts (or add a couple of perches to the body), and the actual cloth itself.

For the Targa and T-tops, you design the hardtop in such a way that it can be built either as one piece, two piece, or three (where the pieces are the 'base' and the 'Targa' - or 'base' with a strut down the middle and 2 T-Tops), and use the same 'permanent mount' technique for the 'base' as you would have for the 'permanent' Hardtop. The Targa piece (or 2 T-tops) is then removable to the 'base' of the Hardtop (with gaskets, of course).

I think this will all be a big waste of time if the poll comes back overwhelmingly to one clear choice. But if its a mix, then the extra work to make the Hardtop design something that can morph itself into Coupe or removeable center section application could give everybody what everybody wants.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to see it as a Targa top, in addition to Jon's reasons, I also think that in the kit market there are a lot of guys who build a car and get the bug. The roadster for me was a dream I've had since I was 18 and it's not something I plan to part ways with anytime soon. So... I would LOVE an excuse to build something else but think I might be hard pressed to build another roadster, but a targa top... hmmmm I might be able to swing that.

That said... I think the base kit will be a roadster, Dave's post yesterday I think touched on it, from a practicality standpoint, and also in meeting the goals of price and weight, I am not sure that you will get there with a top.

-Scott
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Fixed or Hard Top please

Post Thanks / Like
    Any option that while protecting it's occupants with a helmet on would give the maximum head clearance. Be it a coupe, remomable hardtop, Targa or T-Top. Soft top should only be an extra option.

Nativo

Post Thanks / Like
    Until I see the body and know how it will interface with the top I don't know how to answer. How will the doors open? Will the rear deck be flat, or have double bumps behind the occupants? How will the side windows be incorporated into the doors and top? With those ?'s in mind I would have to say a compromise between targa and t-tops with the door and side windows attached to part of the top to allow easier access. In the end I don't care how they do it as long as it is easy to get in and out of the car and it is somewhat weather tight.
    DP
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not voted yet but perhaps if we get a coupé it would be easy to have an air scoop to direct air straight to the TMI (top mounted intercooler) saving any extra design(plumbing and hardware) for relocating it to the sides.

Nativo

Post Thanks / Like
    Good idea, I was wondering about that. Maybe an f1 nsx style scoop.

Post Thanks / Like
    or maybe a little more subtle like the non functional roof scoop on an Exige

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nativo View Post
    I have not voted yet but perhaps if we get a coupé it would be easy to have an air scoop to direct air straight to the TMI (top mounted intercooler) saving any extra design(plumbing and hardware) for relocating it to the sides.

Nativo
    True, I was thinking with a Targa top you could integrate functional scoops into the C-Pillar sides for the intercooler and side panel scoops for the radiator. Either way would be bad-a but I'd prefer rear visibility, I want to be able to take good long trips in this thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love a hardtop or coupe, but recognize that it's a long way off...having a targa that could be use for bad weather would be really nice. I wonder if that could even be sold as an option/upgrade kit to the roadster, so by changing out a few panels you could have that option? Ala Rodney's 3D model would be perfect!

Post Thanks / Like
    I voted coupe but my second choice is hardtop. On second thought I'd be OK with a targa too.
    Last edited by Nuul; 03-29-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I voted Targa because of the above possible design variables (scoops) and it's just more interesting looking to me. I don't think I will ever have a top for my roadster but I do want a weather proof car to take for trips. I'm a little surprised by the results so far. I hope the FFR guys pay attention to this because a pure roadster without some accomodation for people who actually need the protection of some kind of fixed top would be a disappointment. I agree with the above poster who said a upgrade price for the top components would be a way of accomplishing two paths like in the 33 coupe kits. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I voted for Coupe, because in all honesty, that's the only one I would build. I guess time will tell if one is actually designed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coupe +1 ... but could live with a proper targa top
    If at first you don't succeed ... get a bigger hammer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Driving a roadster is nice but, but I'm inclined to the coupe. The 818 is such a light car and it carries the weight of the engine behind the driver. The roof structure would greatly increase the strength of the cockpit in the event of a wreck, and tend to keep all of the crumple zone in front of the cockpit rather than thought it. An 818 would probably wind up being my daily driver and I live in Florida where it rains a lot, so I would need a roof of some sort anyway. A fixed coupe would not only offer more safety, but also more reliable rain protection, and perhaps a little more stiffness. I may be inclined though, to cut a hole in the roof to install a moonroof or a ragtop similar to this:
    66ragtop.jpg
    I would have to do my homework, though to make sure I'm not adding too much weight. I would imagine that the total weight of such an arrangement would be no more, though than a roadster carrying a retractable canvas roof.

Realistically, I will probably never do any wheel to wheel racing. I may build an 818 to be a daily driver and take it to the track for some time trials. If I were building a track car, though, I would build it as an open roaster like a Lotus 211 with no roof, no doors and no windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    I voted for a stowable Targa Top. That has always been my first choice. However, I would also consider a well designed Soft Top if the Targa would not be offered. I'm not personally interested in a removable hardtop, because it can't be stowed. It's either on the car or sitting home in the garage.

I believe that ultimately most folks will get what they are looking for if they ar e willing to wait. There will be multiple bodies for this car, one of which will likely be a coupe. Launch #1 will apparently be an open roadster, though Dave Smith has hinted that a soft top at least for it will follow, and that there may even be a Targa Top made available for it down the road. Who knows what the configuration of the third body will be? Soft Top/Targa Top/T-Top/Removable Hardtop?

I think we will have lots of choices.

Post Thanks / Like
    I voted Targa also. That would make it a more versatle car in my opinion. Fun sunny day car and also daily driver ability.
    Steve
    MK 3.1 #6422, Complete Kit, 340hp Ford Racing Crate Engine, WC T-5 Trans, 3.55 Rear, Barcelona Red Mica Metallic, Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    stowable targa for me, i would even be fine with a rag top targa like an old viper
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    I voted Coupe since I'd like to track it, however, if a hard top or targa would work with an integrated cage, i'd be happy with that as well. For a road car, I have always loved targa's.

Post Thanks / Like
    This thing will not be my DD but I would need to have a top of some sort, weather it be targa, t top or full removable soft top.... By looking at the designs I think a targa would be the best to start with as its kinda the best compromise between the choices!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a Targa top would be the best of all worlds.
    And definitely stowable!!!
    Like others have said, something possibly like old viper with pop in windows. Something to keep the rain out and at least give the illusion of security when parked.
    Or a fitted hard targa top that can clip or attach under the hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry, but pop in windows are NOT going to cut if for a lot of folks. I want both good weather protection and security.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ^^ Absolutley! Even though, I hate the idea of working on power windows, if you want a really nice outcome, permanent windows would have to be part of the equation. It would be the nastiest task on the project. I can't tell you how many times I have walked away from working on a door window cursing but it has to be done. I hope Subaru windows are easier than the others (ha!). Also, since this won't be a first launch, I hope FFR puts together a kit that is easier than the GTM one. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I need a cage, so I vote coupe. However if a cage can work my second choice would be targa. I'd consider a removable hardtop if the lines are right. I was considering a s2000 before I came across the 818 and the only hardtop that didn't look like a afterthought was the spoon moonroof. I'm not sure I would drive it in the rain, I don't think I want to make wet conditions part of my tire consideration, but I personally hate soft tops and convertibles with a cage. A soft, foldable targa top might be the only option if you want to store it in the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I vote targa. I have always liked them

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd have to agree with Canadian, if they can make the targa compatible with the caged version, I'd be all for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast