Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  194
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do on your roadster today?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dallas, I stand corrected. I recently ran across a photo of 2196, but thought it was a post-production modification. My bad. Wonder why ALL Cobras weren't built this way. If I ever make it to Dallas, I'd like to look you up and see the car.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wish mine had a flip front end. Then I could install the wind shield much more easily. I see that mod in my future but first things first.

Today MesaMike and I put my 302 on a timing light for the first time. It ran pretty good timed by ear which turned out to be 10 degrees. So today we bumped it up to 14 and it smoothed out a little and now the computer has to think for a while. I can't wait to take it out for the first time with the body on it.

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Re-did the spark plug wires. Used Accel wiring, cut to length and added wire loom to route them a bit more neatly.

FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    planning on replacing my master cylinder. It was a Whitby unit as part of my conversion to power brakes. From day one, it never did feel quite right and the internal valve of the MC tended to load up fluid into the rear reservoir and over time it eventually sprouted out the air hole on the Wilwood rear reservoir, while the front reservoir was getting low.

Whitby was notified and they shipped me out another MC. It's been sitting in the box all winter - just too cold to really work on it but I want it done before HB so this weekend is it.
    https://hhong43.wixsite.com/snkvnnm-build
    FFR #4883: 347CID|CompCam Magnum 286HR|Vic. Jr. heads|Hurricane Intake | Mighty Demon 650DP|IRS w/Torsen T2 & 3.55 | MSD ignition system | Mallory pump/filter/reg.|Forgestar CF5 18" w/245-45R18 & 295-35R18|Original I-Squared 1+1 System ☺ ☺☺

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Fabricated some new front end splash panels.

Wheel well 001a.jpgWheel well 012a.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered more parts. I'm to the point that I need the kit from Bruce so I can get started

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Working on reducing heat in the cabin. Started with VHT paint on headers followed by DEI titanium header wrap. Next looking to apply EZ-Cool met to the foot boxes. Enjoying! I am.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the stripes and base done, clear coat in the morning.281896_10151338246318316_973182666_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Jamey,

That's an interesting color scheme. I remember painting a model car those colors lots of years ago when I was a kid. So how did you come up with that? Also, details on the color codes etc. Can't wait to see the clear coat! Is it a DIY or do you have a painter? Good luck, WEK.

Note: just remembered where I saw similar colors: new Camero.
    Last edited by skullandbones; 03-04-2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: added comment
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm doing the paint myself. And it is the synergy green from the new cameros. The stripes are just a plane black. I'm pretty happy with it. It was between this and the new mustang color "gotta have it green". This wasn't as pale as the ford color. I'll post more pictures and codes later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put the car up on my 2 post lift and started prepping for the Lakewood driveshaft safety loop. I got it from a forum member a while back and now that my engine swap (stock 5.0 efi to dual quad 427w) is completed, it's clearly a good time to incorporate some more safety mods. During the swap I ditched the stock bellhousing in favor of a McLeod scattershield (bought from another forum member). The D/S loop is one of those 'universal fit' versions, so to persuade it into place I'm getting to play with my HF 12ton hyd press to bend the brackets 90* and trim them up a little to fit inside the frame rails.
    Bought a HF rivnut kit to attach it with, but now I'm having 2nd thoughts and may just drag the Lincoln wire feed MIG welder over and weld it to the frame. Future D/S removal can be facilitated by removing the hoop, as it bolts together on 2 pieces to the frame-welded brackets.

Next will likely be the oil leak that I think I've tracked down the source using some dye and a 'scorpion hunter' portable blacklight. Best as I can tell it's from the front of the block near the lower half of the water pump.

More to follow...

Thanks,
    Will
    Last edited by luvaz; 03-04-2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: typo
    FFR MK III picked up 9/24/05 Roller 9/28/05 First start & go-cart 11/28/05 red w/white stripes, PC Chassis, heat/defrost, FFR 15's, pwr footbox vents, radio delete, dual quad 427W, 4 link w/3.27's, Koni's all around, Gen 1 rag top, snapless tonneau, Herb's door panels, NRC rear discs, Breeze head rest, ********** emblems, Paint by Gino's in Rowley, MA
    2011 ffcars.com calendar Cover Car Yes, that's me in the avatar with Dave Smith in front of my roadster at the '06 FFR Open House!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamey769 View Post
    I'm doing the paint myself. And it is the synergy green from the new cameros. The stripes are just a plane black. I'm pretty happy with it. It was between this and the new mustang color "gotta have it green". This wasn't as pale as the ford color. I'll post more pictures and codes later.
    Jamey.....you took my idea (lol) I was looking at that color to on the camero and you dont see too many green cobras. Very nice. you might have someone else with that color in about a year.
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    New to the forum and this post. My son and I separated the body from the frame and got it on the buck on Saturday, had help from a couple of buddies. Last night after home work, we marked, photographed and removed all the aluminum panels. Looking forward to starting the front suspension this week......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyWinner View Post
    Jamey.....you took my idea (lol) I was looking at that color to on the camero and you dont see too many green cobras. Very nice. you might have someone else with that color in about a year.
    I wanted something different, and the synergy green is a great color. I used the ppg waterbase paint. It's just a basecoat clearcoat system versus a three part candy system. It's the first time I've sprayed a waterborne automotive paint. It sprayed out really nice. Really happy with the look. And I have no problem with another green roadster. I'm glad I'm not the only one that want's to be a little different. Plus mine was first... LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just a little thing, but added latches for the prop rods.

Aluminum angle cut, shaped, drilled and sanded. Spring loaded latch riveted on.

Riveted to frame and prop rod snapped in. Repeated on other side.

Post Thanks / Like
    After considerable consternation and fretting about it, I ordered the 347 Stroker instead of the 390 BB.
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    What did you do on your roadster today?
    Sigh... Noticed how dusty the poor thing has gotten since I last had it out a couple of months ago:

Probably should have covered it up again but oh well. First points event of the season is next weekend so as long as the weather cooperates I'll hose it off, check tire pressures and go have some fun

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Installed the hood latches. Took longer than I thought. I kept measuring one thing and then another but finally decided it was OK and just drilled the holes. It was a bit more tenious than I imagined but after it was done, looks good and works well. The equipment such as throttle body and foot box made me extremely nervious until I did some more measuring and found that everything cleared but just barely on the passenger side latch. One step closer to the DMV!

Note: Thanks to Gumball for the mod and SCFFR for the grommet suggestion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by skullandbones; 03-12-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Got the trunk and trunk latch installed with those tricky little Z brackets. Still have a lot of trimming on the trunk to get it to lay in the body flange.

Did the two door latch mods and started to install them. Having some trouble but should be able to finish in the AM.

Novice builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mosier rear end arrived today. So it has been uncrated, cleaned and primed. The first coat of paint goes on tomorrow! So happy to be working on my dream!
    Fubar94

1970 Mach1
    2012 Boss 302
    Mk4 - under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting things prefit. Ordering the engine and trans next week. Then it's pull the body off again. 923426_10151415725493316_851006062_n.jpg946750_10151745580274985_1455143621_n.jpg603524_10151745579359985_1828640183_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just completed the MVD process so I have a legally registered roadster (1965 SHELBY). The lady said she was going to call it a FORD but the night before she did some research and found that Shelby America built roadsters thru 1967 so on her own she gave it that designation along with the SOCON next to it. One more cool thing to show my friends. Took a drive up the lake hwy and calibrated my speedometer.

I'm driving in gelcoat this summer (coat of hot rod black primer) while doing the body work. It still looks pretty sexy even without color. Lots of insulation, carpeting, and other tasks to do yet.

WEK.

Post Thanks / Like

Catch Up Post

I started the build on April 8th.

As of yesterday, the steering, suspension and brakes are completed.

Basically I have turned the stuff from this pile of boxes.

image.jpg

Into this

image.jpg

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Bought a plastic longblock from Summit Racing so Bruce can mockup the new engine mounts

Post Thanks / Like
    Drop my seats off at the upholster and installed a temp set. Did I mention it is going to be 76 degrees in NC tomorrow? I feel a ride coming on.;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice color combo. That green is amazing in the sun.
    Last edited by tkrupinski; 12-21-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cut the crooked hood scoop out of the hood and bonded in a new fiberglass one. Hope to have it painted soon and wrap this build up.IMAG0548.jpgIMAG0563.jpgIMAG0560.jpgIMAG0550.jpgIMAG0525.jpg
    Last edited by tkrupinski; 12-22-2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: na

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    C'mon, let's see some updates.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have looked through the threads for information on how to wire a one wire alternator ... and I am confused even more now (probably more paint fumes).

Here is how I have it wired so far ...

Is this correct?

Thanks in Advance,

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    My home region finally got our venue back after being shut out all season while it was repaved so I went out and did battle (and won ) on the new surface!

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed Cobra Earl's roll bar headrests. Had to notch the top plastic shell to allow for clearance of the bows on my Doug's Roadster Top.
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Replaced my old upper radiator hose with the nice Breeze stainless one.

Beautiful day here today so then I took it for a drive.
    Last edited by dallas_; 03-02-2016 at 08:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lost a rear header bolt and blew an exhaust gasket. I believe that's it. Yippee.

Now shopping for header bolts and gaskets. Any suggestions for a Rousch 427R 351W?

And confirmed my metco driveshaft hoop. Been an expensive day, but on the bright side got to drive it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Successfully made a hood pin.

Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    Had the front end and rear fenders on 8442 covered in SunTek clear film. Graduation pics coming soon
    Rick
    #8442 MK4 Complete kit, 331 Stroker, T5, 3.73 Posi 3-Link, 15", Goodyear Billboards
    Order 8/22/14 Del 11/7/14 First Start 3/9/15 Go Cart 3/14/15 Paint 2/25/16
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-8442-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Making Some Changes

Just got back from vacation so I'm behind a bit. I removed my cool air system that was running out to the nose. I replaced it with just the KN filter at the TB. I'm getting ready to change over to a 8 stack ITB induction so lots of changes are in the works. I got rid of my MAF, BAP, EGR and some harness wiring to the O2 sensors when I changed over to the new Stinger tunable computer and wide band AFR gauge (tuning is going great). Now I will be really cleaning up the engine compartment when the new manifold is installed (due this week). I will have to fashion a "reverse turkey pan" to take care of the ITBs breathing (don't like the individual filters. I've never seen one on a Cobra but it seems to work in my head. It will sit on the tops of the ITBs that is the flat filter will but will go up with the hood open).

Also, adjusting the ride height a little bit in the rear while the roadster is up on the lift. It is settled a little. Looking at my next suspension project already which will involve moving the shock and LCA brackets inboard to make the LCAs more parallel with the frame rails (suspected small bind in the LCAs). Will have to add spherical rod ends in front to give some adjustment but try to keep the rear bushing with a little massaging of the bracket.

Having fun in general working on the car and still driving before it gets too hot.

WEK.

Post Thanks / Like

Mounted the Body for the First Time

Thanks to CraigS ....

Craig admiring his work ...

Carl day dreaming ....

I needed to get the body on to check the position for the cutouts for the side pipes, the amount to trim on the rear wall of the Breeze "Cubby" and to check dash position.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided on a color for my engine, before I could change my mind again, i sprayed the block, timing cover, and pan....Black!

Post Thanks / Like
    We did what you're supposed to do with these cars, we drove the crap out of them today. We started off with a hearty breakfast at Maniac Mikes and hit the raod for a couple hours and had some fun.

We had one builder that had never even ridden in a Roadster even though he's having his finished up right now. It was a treat to see the smile plastered on his face. He'll be wearing that smile at least a few more days.

And one shot from inside our car looking out the front windscreen.

Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Looked at it lol parts arriving tomorrow but the last week I've been doing body work
    Mk4 # 8834 delivered 03/20/16 2015 IRS wildwood brake upgrade, 18"x9" front 18"X11" rear halibrand wheels, 390 FE, tko600

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast