FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dave- Any timeframe to get a GTM on BBC's Top Gear????

Post Thanks / Like

Dave- Any timeframe to get a GTM on BBC's Top Gear????

Have you ever spoken to Top Gear about track testing the GTM? And I mean the BBC Top Gear, not the American version which would, of course, devalue the FFR brand.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion, Top Gear cannot be trusted. Tesla is suing the Top Gear powers that be over scripting the failure of the Tesla before ever receiving it.

See the following link http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20048815-48.html

For me, Top Gear has lost credibility.
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, most complaints by hosts on any of these shows is in regard to reliability and driveability. I don't think that a well prepared GTM would have any reliability or driveability issues...
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Given TG's obvious love of all things Lotus, I believe they didn't take their review of the Tesla Roadster lightly. Lotus builds the chassis for Tesla, and lost some business when Tesla pulled the plug on the Roadster.

TG did post a response to the Tesla suit. Two sides to every story, I guess.

The story TG did: http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/electric-shocker
    TG's response to the suit: http://transmission.blogs.topgear.co...-legal-action/
    Coupe #497 delivered 7/29/10. Engine in on 10/1/10. Pushcart on 10/4/10. First start on 12/01/10. First go-cart on 12/31/10. Finished and on the road as of February 2012.
    Coupe Body Buck Plans - My Spray Booth - Painting Lessons Learned
    Build site: www.bamacoupe.blogspot.com
    Lots of build photos and some observations: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53614858@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Have you ever spoken to Top Gear about track testing the GTM? And I mean the BBC Top Gear, not the American version which would, of course, devalue the FFR brand.
    This I'd like to see and agree on the US Top Gear.. A waste of electrons..

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think TG is guilty of the scripting that Tesla thing. I mean, c'mon. The Nissan leaf which like the Tesla, is fully electric and runs off batteries. If you drive that thing like your driving Miss Daisy, and i mean driving Miss Daisy to her own funeral, you'll struggle to get 100 miles out of it. Do you guys honestly think that the Tesla will be better? Hell no... And the way the guys on TG thrashed it, i'm surprised it even managed the mileage it did. In my opinion, Tesla are the dodgey guys in this situation trying vilify TG for the obvious, catastrophic short comings of their car.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is the plan for my KONI GTM. Build a GTM that well represents a "stock" GTM, eliminate all the frills (door windows, AC, weatherstriping) trying to make the car as simple and reliable as possible. BUT spend the time in setup and testing along with suspension mods (sway bars) and hi end shocks that any GTM owner could easily add to their cars. The goal is to have the car setup and ready for whenever, if ever, the magazines or TV shows want to do a segment on the GTM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Top Gear is an entertainment program, not a true editorial. It doesn't seem claim to be either. In fact, IMHO, they have made no attempt to hide the fact that much of it IS scripted for entertainment purposes. I would think scripting comes with the territory of any entertainment program. Even gameshows have disclaimers such as "Portions of the program not effecting the outcome..........".

Anybody sending a car to Top Gear and expecting them not to script *something* is just a bit naive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    That is the plan for my KONI GTM. Build a GTM that well represents a "stock" GTM, eliminate all the frills (door windows, AC, weatherstriping) trying to make the car as simple and reliable as possible. BUT spend the time in setup and testing along with suspension mods (sway bars) and hi end shocks that any GTM owner could easily add to their cars. The goal is to have the car setup and ready for whenever, if ever, the magazines or TV shows want to do a segment on the GTM.
    Well, maybe you can clarify something then, as I never really understood this about your project here. If it supposed to be an extremely well built example of a STOCK GTM for magazine and promotions use, why not just do a really nice build "to the book"? I mean what I see you having there is a car that looks like a race car, yet you say it should represent an above average build of what anyone can put together from the kit. I guess I am just having trouble seeing what the message is you are trying to get accross when what I see you have created, while totally awesome and a beautiful car, is niether thing it either looks like, or is stated to be.

I guess my thinking and questions really come down to these:

If it's an example of how to build a street GTM that performs really well, then why is it painted to look like a race car and has things removed that 99% of people arguably would want on their street car?

If it's a race car, well, why not make it a RACE CAR.

Seems to me like a car that is a little confused about its purpose?

Not trying to bash you here Gary, but I think if you put this up to the TGs of the world for testing they are going to come back with this exact feeling and thoughts.

Don't get me wrong. I think your car is a GREAT show car for SEMA and will attract a LOT of attention for FFR. I'm just not so sure you, or FFR, or going to be happy if you send it out to a show like Top Gear for critical analysis.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good point Crash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry it won't ever happen. Notice they've never even had an Ultima on Top Gear UK (Fifth Gear has...).

You'd have a much better chance getting it on Top Gear US. Just tell Tanner that you've got a car that represents what that car on the other show should have been, peak his interest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tanner's familiar with the GTM. He Raced the "Milan GT" version with/against paul tracy. So I'm sure he's well aware of whats out there. They were pretty hard on the car due to the brakes. I know there are MUCH better examples of the GTM than the milan version, but the Top Gear Guys would be pretty critical - they are use to testing/playng in some pretty amazing machinery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Battle of the Supercars is the show I'm referring to. Give him a GTM to drive that's not running an air ride suspension and isn't running an open diff this time. As was mentioned when the show aired, FFR is lucky their name wasn't associated with that car. That means the door's still open to get the GTM on TV (not a GT Malan). The Gen 2 even looks different so it won't be recognized as the same car right away.
    Last edited by Dark Regent; 08-27-2011 at 01:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, there is a probably very small chance that it'll appear on the American Top Gear. Although I personally think that there is little to no chance that they will want the GTM on their show purely down to the sour taste the "GT Malan" left in Foust's mouth. UK Top Gear, ie the Top Gear which counts, absolutely no chance. Unless, some GTM builder over here in Europe becomes as big as Caterham and can manage to produce a GTM of production car build quality. Not even Ultima was mentioned as yet and we all know how big they are. The Superlite was once, and i mean a fleeting, passing, panning shot, shown on UK Top Gear when they where taking the Merc, Ferrari and Porsche across the US. It was on some hotel/racetrack. It wasn't even mentioned by name or talked about. Just shown for about 2 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Top Gear is one of my favourite programs! Jeremy Clarkson is brilliant!

NOTE: Top Gear can be full of ****, so can Jeremy Clarkson. This is a well know fact in the UK.

Chances of getting a GTM on Top Gear UK? Not a chance, not even a slim one. They have outright refused to let an Ultima GTR on there and that is BRITISH*.

*Don't read that the wrong way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well there you go...

Top Gear 1, Tesla 0...

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...021-1mbcy.html

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Reid View Post
    In my opinion, Top Gear cannot be trusted. Tesla is suing the Top Gear powers that be over scripting the failure of the Tesla before ever receiving it.

See the following link http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20048815-48.html

For me, Top Gear has lost credibility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rev2xs View Post
    Well there you go...

Top Gear 1, Tesla 0...

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...021-1mbcy.html
    I love top gear BUT I'll bet you dollars to dimes that Top Gear and Mr. Clarkson would dump all over the GTM because:
    1) It's American.
    He has a decidely anti US bias
    2) No ABS
    He'd consider that to be just plain unexceptable
    3) No "Launch" electronics
    Now as I said I love the show but Mr. Clarkson has forgotten what it's like to actually "drive" a car vs it's driving you.

PS: BUT I'd love to see what times it would turn on their track...
    Last edited by Movieman; 10-21-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not quite,

Jeremy loves the Corvette ZR1 and the Ford GT, Fords in general if i remember correctly so he's not against US cars in general

No ABS doesnt really bother him either because he liked the Ascari and the new Noble, they havent got ABS either

From an article i read about him, he hates "Launch control" electronics which is why he adores the Ferrari F40. He was driving an Australian race car called a V8 supercar and they havent got electronic aids either. He said, and i quote, "i love the fact that there is no laptop between your right foot and the rear wheels"...

Oh, i do agree with you on one thing though. I too, would LOVE to see what the GTM could manage on the Top Gear Test track...

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I love top gear BUT I'll bet you dollars to dimes that Top Gear and Mr. Clarkson would dump all over the GTM because:
    1) It's American.
    He has a decidely anti US bias
    2) No ABS
    He'd consider that to be just plain unexceptable
    3) No "Launch" electronics
    Now as I said I love the show but Mr. Clarkson has forgotten what it's like to actually "drive" a car vs it's driving you.

PS: BUT I'd love to see what times it would turn on their track...

Post Thanks / Like
    Not quite,

Jeremy loves the Corvette ZR1 and the Ford GT, Fords in general if i remember correctly so he's not against US cars in general

No ABS doesnt really bother him either because he liked the Ascari and the new Noble, they havent got ABS either

From an article i read about him, he hates "Launch control" electronics which is why he adores the Ferrari F40. He was driving an Australian race car called a V8 supercar and they havent got electronic aids either. He said, and i quote, "i love the fact that there is no laptop between your right foot and the rear wheels"...

Oh, i do agree with you on one thing though. I too, would LOVE to see what the GTM could manage on the Top Gear Test track...
    Maybe I should have added my comments are generalized based on watching the show for years.
    On the specifics you mentioned I agree. I remember those shows and yes he loved the Corvette and I beleive he even bought a Ford GT for himself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't take offence to this but you've misunderstood Jeremy Clarkson, let me say this to anyone who has ever taken offence to Jeremy Clarkson for whatever reason:

He said it because he knows he'll get a reaction.

Several of the things he has commented on in the past I *should* take offence to (eg. motorbikes) but I don't, it's exactly the reaction he is looking for and exactly the reason the show is so popular even though people say they hate JC, love it or hate it, you can see he's doing something right?

Also the fact that the GTM is American has *nothing* to do with the reason why it will NEVER appear on that show.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, doesn't the STIG post here? maybe he can help convince them to let him take it out on the track!!
    GTM #253 In Process

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto what Benji said, additionally, the reason why the GTM will never appear on Top Gear is simply that they don't get involved with kit cars. The Ultima GTR is a SPECTACULAR machine, performs amazingly and has the provenance to have been designed by Lee Noble and used as a drivetrain test mule for no less than the McLaren F1 and Top Gear will. not. have it on the show. With all due respect to the FF team, if the Ultima can't get on Top Gear, well...