Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My Official GTM Build Thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tino,
    I'm 99.9% sure that the problem is the hat switches pin is backing off a little to much. My kit has the Apem A0152A for the hazard and fog. But the switch I purchased from Shane for my push button start has the Apem A0152B. Both are monmentary so it's the hat that is holding the pin for latched operation. When you get a chance seperate the two and you should see that holdiing it down yeilds the results you need.

I would either buy a set of Apem A0152A or see if I could add some material to allow the hat to keep the switch down.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Vidal, you are such a great help!

You were 100% correct about the switch and I wish I had read this sooner. I was so convinced that the switches were wrong that
    I ran out and grabbed some parts to build a latch circuit. Who would have thought two switches acting the same way had similar issues?!

Again, your diagnosis was correct. Here are two photos of the before/after of the APEM parts. Hopefully this will save someone else
    some hassle.

Notice how close the base of the switch and collar are to each other:
    switch_nogap.JPG
    Now the previous photo taken. Notice the gap between the base and actuator in this photo:

swtich_gap.JPG

Thanks again, and again! Tomorrow I should have most of the panel wiring complete!
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Most of the steering column and instrument panel wiring is complete now. All switches, lights, and horn are working. Aside from the
    cruise control and windshield wiper electrical (which I do not have yet), everything checks out.

For those looking to clean up the nest of wires behind the instrument cluster, check out the buss bars that I found at a local electronics
    store. Four of these are available for use in areas where several grounds and +12 VDC connections are required. I'll get some before and
    after shots of the wire routing soon.
    100_5877.JPG

For those wanting some nicer alternatives to the LED's, here are some chrome housed lights which are a bit larger than those supplied
    with the kit
    100_5878.JPG

Here is another option I found on the "other site" (< I hate that) which I'm going to inquire about:
    http://www.newvintageusa.com/images/90938-03.jpg

Not quite OEM looking, but better than those tiny LED's in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tino,
    Great progress. Keep the updates coming.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Long time no post, or work. Another slow week with the GTM, but I've managed to tie all of the tunnel wires and
    rear end wires with loom. There isn't too much else that I can firm up until the remainder of the donor parts are
    purchased, and the motor arrives.

For now I think I'll treat the aluminum panels with paint and some sort of absorption material to keep the interior
    quiet. Maybe some body work is in my near future!

gtm_wire2.jpggtm_int1.jpggtm_int2.jpggtm_int3.jpggtm_wire1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Oh yes, progess.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tino,
    Any updates?
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Vidal, thanks for checking up on me.

These past two weeks have been busy as I'm changing jobs and looking to relocate. I'm currently checking options for an engine right now,
    and picking up some switches for the interior and hole saws to begin the front light install.

Hopefully I"ll have some progress photos uploaded by the end of the week.

How about yourself?
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 10-17-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 00SS_M6LS1 View Post
    Hi Vidal, thanks for checking up on me.

These past two weeks have been busy as I'm changing jobs and looking to relocate. I'm currently checking options for an engine right now,
    and picking up some switches for the interior and hole saws to begin the front light install.

Hopefully I"ll have some progress photos uploaded by the end of the week.

How about yourself?
    I worked on my gauge bezel, added some material to the LH hood horizontal and adjusted my doors a week+ ago, but didn't find any time this past week end.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm not looking forward to aligning the doors. Did you manage to get everything setup without too much frustration?

This weekend, I spent a bit of time with the headlight assembly as I'm waiting for parts to arrive. The lamp bores only required
    slight massaging to get the lights to fit properly. I'm searching for close-up photos of light installs, so if anyone has some
    progress photos, or completed close-ups,please link them. Spytech's site has some cool shots, but nothing of the front side
    that I can find.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up the hood hinges which will allow me to get the front end started.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I initially had the doors too low and in. Tom (Thomas#142) looked at them and immediately noticed because of the front upper section (the area that requires a larger gap). Tom gets all the credit here. We also used a set of 1/2" door strikers that Tom put on the lathe to make the head thinner. I needed it for the passenger side and we matched it on the driver's.

No garage time this week end. I'm going to try to finish my gauge bezel this week by grabbing 30 minutes to an hour late evenings this week. My goal now is to work through the interior. This includes a full mock-up.

My kit arrived with the holes for all three lights. They were slightly undersized which was fine, but the passenger side low beam hole location is too high and toward the center.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's starting to take shape now. The hood is positioned, and ready for mounting.

I wont be able to align anything until the body is back on the frame, but at least I can start
    some minor body work and layout the front end components.

Pics of the hood, hinges, and rubber seal. I'll have to adjust the ride height as there's way
    too much space between the tire and fender.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The hood is mounted to the hinges; it looks pretty straight but we'll see what happens when the body gets installed.

Fog lights? What the heck is with the bracket and lens protruding outside of the pocket? Is this they way it's supposed to be,
    or do I have the wrong lights? Either way, I'm thinking new lamps are in my future. I'll have to round up some photos and check
    how the rest of the cars look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Another fun aspect of the kit car build is the progress documentation. I had to follow suit and start up a web page. Right now it's just a small graphic, and some
    text.

Eventually, I'll make it all pretty and upload the pics, videos, etc.

For those that want to follow along, here's the link:

www.streetlegalracecar.ca

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Today was probably the coolest day of the build stage. An engine source has been found, and the specs are getting worked out. I called a buddy who owns a machine shop to get stock on LS short block assemblies. He said none were available, but to call Bob at Hilton Motorsports.

When I called the shop, Bob answered and we started talking like gear heads talk. When I told him I was building a GTM he said, "Oh yes, I've
    built a couple of motors for those cars." At first I thought, no way: he either misunderstood the name of the car, or he just wanted to sound
    like he knew it all.

Well, it turns out he actually did build engines for GTM's and it happened to be the former owner of my car (Alain), and his friend Dave whom I both
    met in August when buying the kit. Talk about going full circle?! After a few more minutes on the phone I told Bob I'd head over to his shop.

When I opened the door, I walked into heaven. This shop looked like the set of Body Coddington's reality series, "American Hot Rod". 67-69 Camaro's, a Top fuel dragster, Bel Air, Nova, etc. You get the idea. When the employees found out I was building a GTM, I suddenly became
    royalty. A few guys flocked around and chatted about the build, my progress and expected completion date. They were all interested in seeing the
    car and wanted me to send photos. They also want me to bring the car to their shop when it's done to take pictures.

Bob has been around, and knows his stuff. He wouldn't sell me a short block unfortuantely. It was all, or nothing. For the prices he quoted,
    I'm not going to complain. Originally I was going to assemble the motor myself and get parts through my suppliers (I used to build for a living).
    After getting to know the shop and seeing the quality of their work, I have no problems handing the torch over to a more experienced builder
    (even if it will cost me a little more in the end). Bob even offered to have me drop by and help build the motor! Too freakin' cool! I'm looking
    forward to working along side a seasoned pro and learning from each other (most likely learning from him).

If all goes well, the engine will be ready by early Decemeber. That gives me more than enough time to prep the chassis for drop-in.

This car has changed my life. This is just one cool story of many that have happened since buying the GTM. I'll post more about my experiences
    in the General Discussion forum for those who are interested.

P.S. Major GTM work session starting tomorrow through Sunday! It will be the most consecutive and productive chunk of time dedicated
    to the build thus far. Updates to come!
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 11-10-2011 at 03:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks like I'll be using a 6.0L, LQ9 (iron block), 10.5:1 SCR for the build. Haven't nailed down valve events yet, but the cam will likely be
    in the 0.6" lift range and 246'ish' duration based on head flow and rough header dimension calcs. I'll have to get some specs before it's
    too late!

After tuning, I'm hoping to make a modest 450 HP. We'll see what the cam and springs will allow for max RPM. Should be a fun bit of
    power for the total build weight!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Installed the hood shocks, and passenger fog lamp. Also did some prep on the light buckets, and started knocking down the body flashing. More of the same
    tomorrow and Sunday. I'll have to call on "Crash" for his expertise on body work before going ahead too far.

The motor should be ready by the end of this month according to the builder (originally mid December). Cool for me!

390034_10150534502544148_505744147_11410323_1156444099_n.jpg387100_10150534506164148_505744147_11410365_1874525965_n.jpg297472_10150534507209148_505744147_11410375_500741655_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's a technique. Try to block the "flashing" slowly taking it down going 3-5 inches to either side. This technique will keep you from creating a valley and making more work for yourself than is necessary. You can go 40-60 grit to knock down the stuff like in your picture. Then you can move to 80 grit on a long block for the majority and an appropriate block for the others.

I did the sections over both rear wheels last night.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tips Big V (< that's your new nick name).

I'll add that to my list of "how to" before going onto the next stage of body work. At the moment, I'm still leaving a bit of
    a ridge that will be low enough to block down.

I've been doing a bit of research on the site, and Google/YouTube to get more info and learn some better techniques. If
    you don't mind I'm going to start a new thread on Body work specifics so that everyone starting out, including myself
    can reference the page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tips Big V (< that's your new nick name).

I'll add that to my list of "how to" before going onto the next stage of body work. At the moment, I'm still leaving a bit of
    a ridge that will be low enough to block down.

I've been doing a bit of research on the site, and Google/YouTube to get more info and learn some better techniques. If
    you don't mind I'm going to start a new thread on Body work specifics so that everyone starting out, including myself
    can reference the page.
    Tino,
    That's funny. That's the nick name I had in college.

I've gathered quite a bit of info on body work and GTM specific body work. I'm also in that stage of the build. I've actually learned the most working hands-on with Tom (Thomas#142) on my GTM. I'll add to your other thread soon.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm away from home as I've relocated for a new job. It's killing me to postpone work on the GTM throughout the week, especially when
    the motor is due to arrive next weekend.

With most of my spare time only available to weekends, it's going to be a challenge to have this car ready to drop the motor before
    the New Year. With that time, I still have to consider what a regular day will bring, as well as packing up the house for the big move
    in January.

While I'm away from home, I continue to mentally work on the car and build up my web site. It's progress, but not on the car unfortunately.
    Feel free to check out the updates on the web page. It's obviously not complete as you'll notice instantly; the buttons resolve to temporary
    pages as place holders.

The basic design is pretty much laid out, but I'll be adding more content on the splash page, as well as some animation for the buttons.

www.streetlegalracecar.ca

Hopefully everyone else is getting more work done than I am these days!
    Tino
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 11-25-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    duplicate
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 11-25-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My thread is on page three, shame on me. It's a reflection of how little I've worked
    on this car, and maybe a sign of more to come.

The engine will be ready by early January '12. I told the builder to hold off because
    I needed more time to prep. the car. I'm moving on the 27th of Jan. and the car
    will be in storge until April (which is when the other house is ready).

It's pretty much safe to state that my GTM will not be ready for Spring 2012

On the bright side, my wife has a sense of humour and thought some white fuzzy
    dice would go well on the rear view mirror. Not a chance! The high volume, low
    pressure spray gun will certainly come in handy though. Everything else is getting
    returned in exchange for some sandpaper and filler.

100_6177.JPG100_6178.JPG

All of tomorrow and some of Tuesday will be spent in the garage. Time to step
    up my game and make up for lost time before I have to put this toy away.

HOpe you all had a good Christmas and have been plugging away on your cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Some good news for once! The motor is ready and I was able to stop by and snap some photos. This combo makes about 400 HP with stock PCM tuning and OEM exhaust.
    I'm hoping to dial-in about 30-50 HP with HP Tuners and a tuned exhaust system. LQ9 with custom cam. Nothing too crazy, but it shuold be fun in the GTM.

100_6240.JPG100_6241.JPG100_6243.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tino;
    Nice looking motor, but before you take delivery get Bob to change out your water pump. You need the original LS1 water pump. He put the wrong one on mine aswell and I had to send back to swap out for another one. The FFR relocating bracket for the upper pulley will fit but the back of tensioner pulley will hit your intake. The LS1 water pump is slightly different and gives you the clearance you need.

I see your coming along nicely with the build. It's a great feeling when the motor goes in.

David (your northern buddy)
    Team Bouffard
    GenII #369 - SOLD
    1968 Camaro - work in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Dave, thanks for the tip. I'll check into this tomorrow. Does the crank hub also need to be swapped in order to line up
    with the original LS1 waterpump?

Post Thanks / Like
    Tino
    Are you talking about the balancer, if so, no it is fine, everything lines up. I also ordered the extra brace parts for the alternator bracket as I've heard that is a weak point. Call Jason at FFR and he will set you up, cheap part.
    I bought the Airtex brand part #AW5081 and good to go
    Team Bouffard
    GenII #369 - SOLD
    1968 Camaro - work in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, the balancer. I'll look into this further, thanks for the tips.
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 01-06-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's right people...$22 worth of sandpaper to start prepping the body for primer.
    Too bad I can't touch the car for another two months, but at least it's a baby step forward.

For now, I'm going to work on the electronics for the door code, and other things. Also getting leads
    on transaxles so I can get this SOB on the road this Spring...even if it's gonna roll in primer!

No, I'm not kidding.

432044_10150769922799148_505744147_12207366_523462652_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I"m happy to say the PCM and harness are now in hand. This is a huge piece of the puzzle in terms of moving forward with the assembly. I have to give a shout out to Bob at Hilton Motorsports for supplying the engine, and getting a custom made harness (by Howell) with new connectors, and tested for less headaches during the install.

431085_10150811787204148_505744147_12322855_1086409653_n.jpg394030_10150811786734148_505744147_12322853_932645986_n.jpg

Now with transaxle leads, and discussions ongoing I hope to have the car ready for go-karting by the end of April (the car is in storage until March 30th! ). If all goes well, it will be road worthy by mid Spring even if I leave the black gel-coat (with the flashing sanded and prepped, and primed to match) for this Season. It will give me a chance to work out any bugs, or add body modifications/upgrades before final paint goes on.

Whaddya think, will it still turn heads with the factory coating?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Diagram of the security circuit I'm designing for the push-button start disable. I have most of the circuit built and functional on bread-boards (proto-typing), but I'm still looking for a quality keypad, and cases to assemble the real thing.

423582_10150812818244148_505744147_12324605_360307128_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Need help with transaxle mount question as my car is not easily accessed right now:

How are the transaxle mounts setup on the Gen 1, GTM? Are they located for a 1987-1989 Porsche 911 G50, or a 1989.5-1994 Porsche 964 G50?

Thanks!
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 02-17-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Learn to spell PORSCHE :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Whaddya think, will it still turn heads with the factory coating?

I think it will!

the sound of it is impressive, the looks of it (from 50 feet away) is impressive!

of course, when we look closely at it while it is parked, well, not quite as impressive.

I think you will be happy looking at it from across the parking lot. do it!
    GTM #253 In Process

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No worries, I wont disgrace our vehicle by driving around in patches of filler, and a multi-shaded body. I'm just anxious to get this thing road ready as I've been driving a 4 cyl Winter car since
    selling my SS last Summer. Not so fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What are your thoughts about building an air box at the rear and using the existing cut-outs from the hatch for access? I plan on using two panel filters, with an insulated box to isolate the exhaust heat.

My exhaust will be routed to the sides, and lower section of the back end. I'm thinking about a fiberglass scoop to keep the rain out, and some screened drain holes at the bottom
    of the box to remove any water build-up.

430605_10150835572769148_505744147_12389918_693662910_n.jpg291783_10150422486734148_505744147_10719286_5322094_n.jpg

Picture stolen and hacked-up from Kempo's build page

Post Thanks / Like
    That is much like what we have on the FFR PDG GTM and it works well. You can make the scoop changable in orientation so that it can face forward during dry times, and back during wet times. That's how we have done it and there is a difference in HP numbers, although slight, depending upon how the scoop is oriented.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Crash, I am surprised that rain would be an issue. I have always raced motorcycles with "ram air" which would suck plenty of water in when it rained. Never any change in performance. As we know the 'Ram' effect is minimal and debatable. The scoops provide cool air which is clearly an advantage.

On my first car I wanted to see what would happen when you injected water into the carburetor. Took the hose and let the water flow in at idle. Nothing happens. I'm talking a trickle 1/8 inch thick trickle not a flood. The motor would idle along happily. You would be hard pressed to get more rain in then that.

Now I know I am opening a can of worms here as ram air and water or alcohol injection are all much discussed internet forum topics.

In the case of a race car I am just surprised to hear that you would worry about rain in the intake. Fresh air and rain would only help I would think.

John
    Last edited by kabacj; 02-24-2012 at 01:12 PM.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep water will raise the octane level and clean the chambers nicely, but you must get it all out, or stuck valves and rusted clyinders will result.

The situation we are concerned about is heavy rain at 100+ MPH with a scoop into a relatively small air box. Probably wouldn't be an issue, but we don't risk it. If it looks like heavy rain we sacrifice a couple HP for piece of mind.

As a point of referrence, our competitors have a very similar design. It is reversible for rain duty.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ahhh, nuts! I thought this was an original idea for the GTM. I'd love to see photos of your design when you have a minute Chris. I'm not worried
    about water entering the motor, however having a bunch of water pooling in the airbox would be death of the engine on startup.

Is anyone on this site using water/alc. injection? I know there is a member with a twin turbo setup, maybe he might be?
    Remembering the days of misting water into the carburetor to clean up the chambers, and plugs.

Never thought about any sort of ram effect as much as having a direct shot of cool air getting to the motor. The LS intake is so tiny that providing
    a little more pressure in the box couldn't hurt. Before this idea, I was trying to find a method to move the box closer to the intake, and then run
    the throttle blade/filter on the opposite side of the box in hopes of creating a larger plenum and still have rear view capability.
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 02-24-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    however having a bunch of water pooling in the airbox would be death of the engine on startup.
    Tino,

You might be able to incorporate a dirt bike/atv airbox drain on the bottom of the air box. This will stop water from pooling inside the box.

drain.jpg
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast