Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Project 818 Design Submissions

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I wonder what happened to all the Updates ????

Mel

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    Beauty is subjective. What it seems like you are actually comparing is the Aerovette's lines to a formula (at least in your own mind) of what makes a beautiful sports car. While there is undoubtedly science that could be applied to automotive design to increase it's overall appeal to the masses, I would say that none of the cars us car nuts on this forum find appealing are made for the masses. That pretty much renders such science irrelevant in this case.

EDIT: And I'm not discounting your opinion; only stating normal rules probably don't apply well.
    if normal rules wouldn`t apply - how could you distinguish the juke from the gtr?

Post Thanks / Like
    Uh, by their unique features? I'm really confused by your question...

By "normal rules" I meant the "rules" normally applied to defining beauty (as it relates to a sports car), which relates directly to my statement "While there is undoubtedly science that could be applied to automotive design to increase it's overall appeal to the masses, I would say that none of the cars us car nuts on this forum find appealing are made for the masses. That pretty much renders such science irrelevant in this case."

Post Thanks / Like
    Uh, by their unique features? I'm really confused by your question...
    are you serious? what distinguishes a crossfire from a slk? its the same car - featurewise
    gallardo vs. r8? mc12 vs. enzo?

By "normal rules" I meant the "rules" normally applied to defining beauty (as it relates to a sports car), which relates directly to my statement "While there is undoubtedly science that could be applied to automotive design to increase it's overall appeal to the masses, I would say that none of the cars us car nuts on this forum find appealing are made for the masses. That pretty much renders such science irrelevant in this case."
    what makes you think that there are other (or even no) rules for specific target groups? referring to your avatar: don`t you think itīs one hell of a coincidence that the crossbow caters so precisely to ktm`s stealthy motorcycle language? and thanks to some arbitrary lines not to a dahihatsu copen?

concerning design for the masses: i think a saw a few miata, 911, wrx and vette owners in this forum...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    if normal rules wouldn`t apply - how could you distinguish the juke from the gtr?
    Besides looking completely different?
    I think you're trying to make a science out of something that's more of an art.
    Last edited by Niburu; 01-03-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Niburu View Post
    Besides looking completely different?
    I think you're trying to make a science out of something that's more of an art.
    sure. thats the old stereotype: vomit onto a canvas and just say: "its art" and everybody will love it. wrong. (at least if you had the wrong kind of tortillas before).
    according to adolf loos the only difference between art and design consists in time - art is always ahead of its time and needs to be verified by the following evolution. all design and styleguides used in industry were and are based on rules that directly derive from 2000 years of art history&science.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ima stop feedin' the troll now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    sure. thats the old stereotype: vomit onto a canvas and just say: "its art" and everybody will love it. wrong. (at least if you had the wrong kind of tortillas before).
    according to adolf loos the only difference between art and design consists in time - art is always ahead of its time and needs to be verified by the following evolution. all design and styleguides used in industry were and are based on rules that directly derive from 2000 years of art history&science.
    not what I meant at all

I was referring to the "art" of design as being more like music in the way of being an artform.
    The method of getting to the final product not necessarily being able to be defined scientifically.
    yes we have thousands of years of art,history and science and design industry guidelines we can use as a reference but it's a guide not a rulebook.

Take the Aerovette Concept you didn't like so much for example.
    Drawing a curved line on it and calling it droopy and then throwing a bunch design industry buzzwords at does not prove the point you were trying to make.
    In my eyes the car looks good, period, sorry you don't like it's design "language".
    Last edited by Niburu; 01-03-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is probably not the most flattering picture of the Aerovette. There is actually a fairly hard “shoulder” running through the upper part of the door, about 3” below the beltline (that is the preferred term for the top of door at the glass by the way). This strong shoulder reads through the car and pulls it together. Hopefully my image shows it a little better. The belt line does dip into the body in a sagging fashion but that makes sense from most other views and this element transitions inward toward each end.
    The feature line/crease through the body does divide the body side pretty much in half but that is a common Corvette theme line so no surprise there. I don’t think there are really any rules per se regarding the location of such elements.

Chevrolet Corvette XP-882 Aerovette.jpg

The Aerovette was pure Bill Mitchell with its overly pointy front and rear. Personally I prefer the little 2 rotor vette, which Mitchell actually wanted destroyed – he hated it so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    not what I meant at all

I was referring to the "art" of design as being more like music in the way of being an artform.
    The method of getting to the final product not necessarily being able to be defined scientifically.
    yes we have thousands of years of art,history and science and design industry guidelines we can use as a reference but it's a guide not a rulebook.
    okok relax. in order to not destroy any further illusions we shouldn`t start talking about music..
    forget the holden hurricane, the amx II or the maserati boomerang - long live the aerovette!
    anyway, i wish these were contest entries, including the vette - or at least starting points for proposals..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by olpro View Post
    Personally I prefer the little 2 rotor vette
    yes, me too. its a pity. thx for the info

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just trying to explain what I meant and back up my point of view, nothing more.
    And nothing personal, sidewinder be prepared for lots of intelectual arguements on here - but nobody means any harm by it.

OlPro, supposedly there was a 4 rotor version done for the Paris Motor Show - now wether it ran or was just slapped together for looks is up for debate.
    It would have been nice to see how much further the rotary could have been developed with GM resources and a competition with Mazda/Ford.

And yes I keep toying with the idea of dropping a rotary in this car....
    Last edited by Niburu; 01-04-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just trying to explain what I meant and back up my point of view, nothing more.
    And nothing personal, sidewinder be prepared for lots of intelectual arguements on here - but nobody means any harm by it.
    its all good! im looking forward to discuss the entries and to get back OT .......any updates?

Post Thanks / Like
    did somebody say 4 rotor? ...4rotor.jpg not a big fan, but if you'll excuse me ... I have to wipe my chin.
    If at first you don't succeed ... get a bigger hammer.

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG. I heard they made such things, but it looks so small!

Post Thanks / Like
    Xusia are you unfamiliar with the Le Mans winning Mazda 878b?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26GunHHSPYE

there have been a few 4 rotor builds if you go on www.rx7club.com
    http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.ph...ccentric+shaft

Post Thanks / Like
    Xusia are you unfamiliar with the Le Mans winning Mazda 878b?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26GunHHSPYE
    ...iip, iip.......iip, iip........iip, iip.........iip, iip........iip, iip.........iip, iip..........iip, iip........iip, iip..........iip, iip!
    Last edited by kach22i; 01-06-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    Admittedly, no. I don't follow racing at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ima stop feedin' the troll now...
    you can use your own statement above as an answer to the points in the vtx thread.
    you win............................................... .................................................. .................................................. ................(?)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678