Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A/C leak on small tube with orfice.

Post Thanks / Like

A/C leak on small tube with orfice.

I had a leak on my A/C system at the tube that goes into the vintage air evap. It is the smaller tube that holds the orfice. There doesn't seem to be anything that I can do to fix it.

On the line that comes out of the vintage air evap there is a female fitting. Then the tube that holds the orfice has two male fittings that are the same size on both ends of the tube. The line from the evap holds a o-ring and should seat into the tube that holds the orfice. Then you tighten the two fittings together drawing up them tight so the oring seals.

My problem is that the two fittings tighten up and make contact before the o-ring seats causeing the tube to be loose and not hold pressure.

1. should that tube have two different fittings on it that hold the orfice? If one was longer it would cure my problem. Maybe they just put two of the same size fittings on my tube by accident.

2. Can someone that still has their Vintage Air paper work PLEASE get me a part number fot the smaller tube?

FFR says that they get the vintage air stuff as a complete kit from Vintage air. So I call Vintage Air and they wont even talk to me without a part number for the tube.

Thanks Guys, Kris

Post Thanks / Like
    Kris...After looking through my paperwork, it appears that both evaporator pipes are listed as a pair under part number 541501-VUA (Evap Hardline Kit) which is part of the 541500-VUA Hose Kit. The smaller line in my kit appears to have identical ends and fittings (approx 5 threads each). HTH.

Karl
    GTM #362

F5R Evap Tube.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    post a pic of the problem area.. worse comes to worse, you could quite possablely take it to an ac tech and have them solider it .. provided that you have it all installed in the car and dont plan on removing it .....
    Though you may try, you cannot break me. I am all that you wish you were but will never be.
    my prebuild/idea log

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by afourcault View Post
    post a pic of the problem area.. worse comes to worse, you could quite possablely take it to an ac tech and have them solider it .. provided that you have it all installed in the car and dont plan on removing it .....
    Not with it installed in the GTM and definitely not in a completed GTM. I know it has to be very difficult for Kris to get to both fitting to tighten them down.

Kris,
    I hope you can get this taken care of soon with minimum addition frustration and $$.
    Last edited by VD2021; 09-06-2011 at 07:09 PM.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the male nut was incorrectly machined and is too short. I had the same issue. VA supplied a replacement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all who have helped. I was talking to the A/C guy last week saying that it could just get a male fitting that was longer it would solve my problem. Thanks alot mmaragos. With the contact info that you gave me I hope to have this figured out soon!