Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Different transmission options possible ?

Post Thanks / Like

Different transmission options possible ?

Hi guys im thomas From NYC i was just wondering like many other potential GTM car owners is it possible to use a different transmission other than the porsche g50 series ? something like the c5 or c6 transmission or another possible trans if so i would like to hear some input from you car experts thank you !

Post Thanks / Like
    Erased post
    Last edited by keithinspace; 09-08-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: I am stupid...should do my research first.

Post Thanks / Like
    keith- interesting first post.

NYCar- Yes there are options. Mendeola Transaxles and FFR have partnered on a purpose built transaxle for the GTM that is starting to ship any day now and comes in at around $8500 for an ALL NEW components gearbox. Ricardo transaxles also fit with slight mounting modifications. Prices on these boxes, all of them, including the Porsche alternatives, have come down nicely in the last couple of years. So, YES there are options, and good ones out there. You may want to poke around the forums a bit more and do some searches with key words like "transaxle" "gearbox" "Mendeola" "Ricardo" etc.

As far as using the donor transmission? It HAS been done, but the amount of modifications is SUBSTANTIAL and probably on the order of cost of any of these "correct" transaxles, so it really makes little $$ sense to not use one of the "off the shelf" solutions. IMHO anyway.

Oh, and welcome to the forum...both of you!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts