FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Are you reworking your rear wheel well opening(s) to better center the tires?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am reworking to get a more centered look.

6 37.50%
  • No, it is noticable, but I am willing to live with it.

4 25.00%
  • This is not a noticeable issue on my GTM - as far as I know. LOL

6 37.50%

Thread: Rear wheel well openings

Post Thanks / Like

Rear wheel well openings

I have been debating the concept of reworking the rear wheel well openings (GEN I GTM). The body is centered and the diffuser is mounted. I have aligned the wheels and I am confident they are very close to what will be their final position after any additional tweaking is performed. The wheel placement is off in the opening, not a tremendous amount, but visually noticeable.

I am curious to know what the general consensus is regarding this issue and hear some feedback on what others are doing fix it or forget it?

Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience, if you don't open up the rear portion of the wheel opening, you WILL have tire rub on the body. Both the LH and RH tires are too close to the rear portion of the arch (Looking at the LH side of the car---particularly from the 12:30 to 2:30 positions). I've opened up the rear arches on both sides of the car on every GTM I've done here.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Shane. I hadn't really thought about the potential for rubbing, but your message got me thinking and looking at it from that perspective too. Time to get the air saw out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Would you like Gen2 input in your pole? Both rear openings are very good.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure. I think it is good for both Gen I and Gen II to participate. After taking a closer look at mine, it is amazing how little clearance there is on one side. For me, this has changed from a cosmetic issue to a must fix issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not seeing this on my car #151. I think in talking to FFR that they fixed the mold on that issue. Even before the Gen II. I just aligned my body today and all the wheel openings are pretty good. I did have to pull the body over to the passenger side in the rear about 1/2", but around the wheels looks good enough to leave it alone. Here is a side shot. It was not taken dead on the wheel opening, but you can see it is not close to the tire or anything. No fiberglass was reworked on any of the body so far except the side scoops behind the doors. It will need some I am sure, but the wheel wells seem ok so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jevs; 09-18-2011 at 09:19 PM.