Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need help installing Autometer 9117 Tach Adapter on Gen 2 Coyote & control pack

Post Thanks / Like

Need help installing Autometer 9117 Tach Adapter on Gen 2 Coyote & control pack

Hi Gents,

Long time listener, First time caller
    Sorry if this has been talked about already but I've been searching and cant find anything on it.

I picked up a fellow members Gen 3 Type 65 with a Gen 2 Coyote & control pack during last Christmas and i finally have it finished and ready to go to the DMV next week to inspect and vin it.

My only dilemma is that I'm not getting a tach reading on my Racepak Iq3 Street Dash since the control pack doesn't have a wire/output for it.
    So i picked up the Autometer 9117 Tach Adapter but need to know which wire i tap into for the signal.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
    Dino 847-505-9364

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grkmf3 View Post
    Hi Gents,

Long time listener, First time caller
    Sorry if this has been talked about already but I've been searching and cant find anything on it.

I picked up a fellow members Gen 3 Type 65 with a Gen 2 Coyote & control pack during last Christmas and i finally have it finished and ready to go to the DMV next week to inspect and vin it.

My only dilemma is that I'm not getting a tach reading on my Racepak Iq3 Street Dash since the control pack doesn't have a wire/output for it.
    So i picked up the Autometer 9117 Tach Adapter but need to know which wire i tap into for the signal.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
    Dino 847-505-9364
    It’s the purple wire that feeds 12 v to the coils. You cut the wire, install the 9117 in between the two cut ends. Make sure you have it wired in the correct direction or it won’t work.

It does not connect to one coil, it connects to the main feed to all coils on the + side. Odd, I know - but that’s how it works.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for replying FFinisher

I’m trying to locate the purple wire since I’m lost to which side it’s on

Also the diagram shows the adapter gets power from the ignition and the coil wire gets added in coil +
    From what you said it sound like the adapter power wire gets connected to the purple feed while the coil wire off the adapter gets connected to the splice going to the coils

As you can see I’m not 100% savvy when it comes to this

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    It’s the purple wire that feeds 12 v to the coils. You cut the wire, install the 9117 in between the two cut ends. Make sure you have it wired in the correct direction or it won’t work.

It does not connect to one coil, it connects to the main feed to all coils on the + side. Odd, I know - but that’s how it works.
    If you have the instructions that came with the 9117 you want to install it like it says in the instructions for the GM V-8 C.O.P (vortec and LS style motors) where the wire is pink in the picture you want to use the purple wire in the connector that connects to the Engine harness. The Purple wire is in the corner of the connecter in the pigtail that connects near the computer.

If you are unsure if you have to the correct wire, use an ohmmeter to check continuity from the purple wire in the connector to the purple wire to the coils. Make sure you are not connecting to one individual coil. ( you won't hurt anything, but it won't work) Check a few coils for continuity if you have continuity you have the right wire .
    Last edited by FFinisher; 03-09-2020 at 08:43 AM.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply back FFinisher
    I should of posted that i tore apart the harness and located the wire before it split off to each coil.

Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grkmf3 View Post
    Thanks for the reply back FFinisher
    I should of posted that i tore apart the harness and located the wire before it split off to each coil.

Thanks for the help

Send me a pm if you have further questions. I will help if I can.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Gen 1 Coyote and a Ford Performance control pack. I located the purple wire in the control pack (C146) and when I stripped it back I found that the stops 4" from the connector and it is then it is connected to the small coil feed wire (also purple). I separated the wires from each other and connected the red adapter wire (12v) to the purple power lead and the red/green wire to the wires going to the coils and still have no tach reading.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, I used the Dakota Digital SGI-100BT universal speedo and tach conditioner on the Hemi in my 33. You connect it to the negative side of anyone of the coils, switched 12 volt, the tach and ground. It has Bluetooth and a phone app. Using the app you configure it as a 1 cylinder input and 8 cylinder output. Works great and in the case of the Hemi you don't have to cut and tap into the coil wiring at every coil.

It also has speedo input and outputs if the ECU needs a sped input or if the ECU has and output to run a speedo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Muggstang View Post
    I have a Gen 1 Coyote and a Ford Performance control pack. I located the purple wire in the control pack (C146) and when I stripped it back I found that the stops 4" from the connector and it is then it is connected to the small coil feed wire (also purple). I separated the wires from each other and connected the red adapter wire (12v) to the purple power lead and the red/green wire to the wires going to the coils and still have no tach reading.
    From what I see, the red wire goes to the coil pack side and the red/green wire goes to the supply side from the C146 connector. I'd connect it prior the coil "junction" splice.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm