FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Turn signal cancel and horn wiring with the FFR Steering Wheel

Post Thanks / Like

Turn signal cancel and horn wiring with the FFR Steering Wheel

For those of you who have the FFR steering wheel, how have you handled turn signal canceling (required here in Maryland) and the horn wiring?

Stay healthy

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Russ Thompson turn signal hub... Arm for turn signals and has self cancelling and button on the end for horn.
    That's the easiest set-up and I put a foot switch on the floor for hi-lo beam.

Can't really do much with the FFR steering wheel for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Turn signal
    If you want turn signals that cancel, and you don’t want to keep the big donor steering wheel, you can modify the mechanism to work with any steering wheel. I installed the Factory Five leather wheel by buying a momo adapter and connecting the donor plastic cylinder, as this photo. Note that the tab triggers a little turn signal lever inside when turned 90 degrees, then cancels it when turned back.
    Horn
    You can discard the cumbersome horn ribbon if you concoct a springy thingy (paper clip or safety pin) that rubs on the copper surface of the momo adapter. I think Factory Five sells an adaptor now, or order a momo adapter elsewhere.

818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

4. Thanks Kiwi Dave thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockon View Post
    Russ Thompson turn signal hub... Arm for turn signals and has self cancelling and button on the end for horn.
    That's the easiest set-up and I put a foot switch on the floor for hi-lo beam.

Can't really do much with the FFR steering wheel for that.
    True for a roadster, but OP is asking about an 818 application.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea where PO bought his adapter, but my car has the FFR steering wheel and the hub adapter works with the factory clockspring for horn and turn signal cancel. I can dig up some pictures if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    I have no idea where PO bought his adapter, but my car has the FFR steering wheel and the hub adapter works with the factory clockspring for horn and turn signal cancel. I can dig up some pictures if needed.
    Yes please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a picture of the black plastic card that bolts to the hub adapter and catches the clock spring to cancel the turn signals:

Attachment 123491

This is kind of how it bolts to the hub adapter, this is not the FFR one, this is one I 3D printed so that I could mount my cruise control lever.

Attachment 123494

And this is how it looks installed. The two holes in the black plastic card grab the clockspring pegs so that the clock spring turns with the wheel.

Attachment 123486
    Last edited by Ajzride; 04-18-2020 at 02:13 PM.

9. Thanks Kiwi Dave, DSR-3 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a picture of the black plastic card that bolts to the hub adapter and catches the clock spring to cancel the turn signals:

Attachment 123491

This is kind of how it bolts to the hub adapter, this is not the FFR one, this is one I 3D printed so that I could mount my cruise control lever. If you have lost the bracket, I can 3D print you one of these, it would work without the cruise lever

Attachment 123494

And this is how it looks installed. The two holes in the black plastic card grab the clockspring pegs so that the clock spring turns with the wheel.

Attachment 123486
    I think this will work for me. Much appreciated Alan!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting this info! I harvested my donor parts 2 years ago. I have the clock spring mechanism, but not the black plastic card. Was that from your donor, or did it come with the steering wheel kit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by melnjoel View Post
    Thanks for posting this info! I harvested my donor parts 2 years ago. I have the clock spring mechanism, but not the black plastic card. Was that from your donor, or did it come with the steering wheel kit?
    I believe it came with the hub adapter (previous owner bought all that stuff). I uploaded the files from my 3D printed one to thingiverse so you can 3D print one. If you don't know anyone with a printer I could mail you one.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4195342

13. Likes AZPete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it came with the hub adapter (previous owner bought all that stuff). I uploaded the files from my 3D printed one to thingiverse so you can 3D print one. If you don't know anyone with a printer I could mail you one.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4195342
    Got it printed! Thank you for the help!!