Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Inner splash panels and mirrors?

Post Thanks / Like

Inner splash panels and mirrors?

Hi All!

So I'm trying to mount the inner front splash panels and the instructions that I have are pretty different than the panels I have...

In the manual (picture uploaded) it shows a pretty long part and the part that I have seems to be the beginning of it (without the part that goes all the way to the front), is there another part that I'm supposed to attach to it to extend it?

Manual pictures:
    IMG_3005.jpg
    IMG_3006.jpg

vs

IMG_3004.jpg

Also for the one that mounts closer to the door the instructions show no objects blocking the piece from fitting but the piece I have has a slit cut in it and the hood pin blocking the piece from mounting "flush"

IMG_3007.jpgIMG_3008.jpg

For the mirrors...
    I noticed that the previous way that it was mounted left the passenger-side mirror completely obstructed from the A pillar so I've been trying to figure out the best way to mount them now... It seems like the spot where mirrors are typically mounted (the little triangle thing) won't work because it's not part of the door and therefore gets hit by the windows whenever the door opens... anyone have creative solutions around this? Maybe making something that attaches to the door where the triangle part is supposed to typically be?

Any suggestions are extremely appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    STiPWRD posted some excellent pictures for me in my build thread related to those aluminum pieces. Post 111"

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post381880

As for the mirrors, the kit comes with two mounts that attach the OEM mirrors to the doors. You don't use those triangle pieces.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sgarrett View Post
    STiPWRD posted some excellent pictures for me in my build thread related to those aluminum pieces. Post 111"

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post381880

As for the mirrors, the kit comes with two mounts that attach the OEM mirrors to the doors. You don't use those triangle pieces.
    Woah, thank you! Those pictures rock! (and thanks @STiPWRD !) I figured out I had an outdated version of the manual... the new version has a full diagram of the aluminum pieces! (page 584 if anyone is interested) .

I'm still having problems with the #80150 piece where the slot at the top doesn't line up... been trying all day, did you guys trim the piece to make it fit?

Also with the piece that goes all the way to the nose (#81086) I have a *HUGE* gap, is this normal...? Am I aligning it wrong? Here's a picture:
    IMG_3021.jpg
    and
    IMG_3020.jpg

any help is appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    I trimmed mine to fit. It has to follow the contour of the fender after it is installed.

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    The nose piece on mine was a long way from creating any seal too. Being nuts about stuff like that I riveted in extra pieces from my scrap pile to tighten things up. Probably overkill but also made bottom and top strips along the radiator, and bulb seal on all of it to hit the hood and fenders. The H6 motors are heat monsters and I wanted the radiator to have every chance to only get cool air in the front without recirculating hot air from back to front easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, well I guess I'll have to trim it!

For the front aluminum that goes towards the nose, what are you supposed to do with the top parts? They seem like they're supposed to bend forwards but I fail to see how that would help with anything other than riveting it in on the top and then trimming away the excess?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to do a lot of trimming on my splash guard aluminum as well, almost every piece needed some trimming. You just size it up, like in post #3 and trim when it interferes with something. Like Art, I also added some metal when a gap was too big.

For #80150, I extended those slots a little bit towards the inside to help them slip over the hood pin brackets. Then you should be able to get that piece up against the frame. The hood pin bracket will stick through the slot.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a chance to take a couple of pictures of the mirror mount for you. Here it is with the door open and closed.

Passenger Mirror mount door closed.jpgPAssenger Mirror mount door open.jpg

You need to remove that triangle piece from the mirror and then you mount it to that bracket that comes with the kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    An old thread, but I'm going through my aluminum pieces now with reference to the instructions. Do you put all the front inner panels in place after the front fenders are on? Seems like some of the instruction pictures show the body on, and some not. It would be easier to do it before the front fenders are on, but if they need to be trimmed to match the body then that wouldn't be a good way to do it.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Rick, I haven't done all my splash panels yet, but from what I have done, I'd suggest drilling as early as possible to avoid obstructions, and riveting and trimming as late as possible to accommodate any obstructions you added along the way.
    RPG

11. Thanks FFRWRX thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like a good way to do it. Thank you.