FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victor's 289 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Victor's 289 Build Thread

Pickup Aug 28th if Covid permits...or there abouts as I attempt to coordinate a weekend away without the kids.

The trials have begun as TD didn't perform my wire properly which has me out of pocket $700 at this time and I'm trying to argue for that back and then need to resend the wire without paying conversion again.

Ever have a successful arguement with a bank...not looking good. Might be a $1400 neg for me.

Rebuilding a 289, porting heads prior to sending them off for new rocker studs. Hoping for a reasonably mild 300 ish ponies.
    10 years after my roadster build....
    289 FIA (pickup 28/08/20 if covid permits)
    currently building a 289 and accumulating parts needed to finish a Canadian Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope you get your money back.

My 289 ended up at just over 340. Good all around driver,fun on the twisty back roads.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    I've looked over your build quite a bit, I'm also trying to go for a bit more of a period correct look, my last 2 engine builds were all chrome, which heads are you using? I am attempting a set of original 289 heads with oversized valves and some porting, I'll likely end up well below your hp numbers. I am using a cam to help clear exhaust and make power a little into the 6k rpm but the results remain to be seen.

Bank didn't call back today as they promised they would, tomorrow is another day.
    currently building a 289 and accumulating parts needed to finish a Canadian Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Think positive!

I have Edelbrock Performer heads on it.

Looking forward to following along with your build! Any ideas on color or other customizations?
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    I am torn between the exact same paint scheme as the FFR FIA car and the BF Goodrich poster model. Light blue with team colors either way although I never did get around to painting my last FF.

I would like to attempt a period correct underhood 'look'. I've talked myself out of an 8 pack for a 650 QF over a airgap. I know I can tear apart a carb in my sleep.
    The performer heads flow MUCH better than ported 289 heads!

I am leaning hard towards a 427 type dash layout, I want a glove box this time around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today marked a week since I sent my first wire.

I sent another today. I once again paid the exchange and once again Factory Five's wire bank, PNC returned the money less $700.

I now have paid a 20% premium on my kit and still haven't even successfully sent a wire.

Deflated.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave Smith is going to split the fees with me and I'm going to send the funds in some form other than wire on Monday morning. I have never hated to see extra money in my bank account more than I have the past couple of weekends.

I have 2 sets of 289 heads, one has oversized valves, both have hardened exhaust seats. Having a bit of trouble lapping the valves in the keeper set (oversized valves), I've only spent 2 beers worth of time working on them so hopefully today I can get a few more to seal. Otherwise I'll have the machine shop work them over when they install the screw in rocker studs. Just waiting on the springs to arrive as I want the heads to be ready for assembly, get the machine shop to complete that so I know they are clear of filings.
    Initially I had planned on keeping the car under 350 hp so the factory heads would do the job and look the part. Now that I have time and money into them maybe the AFR's would have been better. I also have money into a cam specificly for the factory heads so I have too much money into them to back out...

Sitting in the garage I also have a fresh short block, 20 over. I have the cam to swap then complete assembly of the engine once the heads are complete.

This will be my first assembly. I figured I would give it a shot. I had $15000 into the 408 I put into my last FFR and $23k into the 461 I had build for the 68 firebird convertible that followed the FFR. All figures in CAD.
    Now that I have put together the bits to complete this engine I look fondly at the blueprint offering. For a thousand or 2 more I could have had an engine with a warranty.
    That considered this will be worth the experience if it runs.

I have a line on an 8.8, a t5 and a pedal box. I will need a few suspension tidbits and gauges and various other small parts...

Not sure how late August pickup is looking with the Covid but the world has 2 months to figure that out.

Post Thanks / Like

Time for some photos

Made the round trip to Toronto yesterday for an 8.8, t5 and pedal box. Managed to steal it for 250 Canadian pesos. Will need a clean up, a 5 lug and gear swap in the rear end and a bellhousing and spacer for the t5.
    20200701_080219.jpg20200701_080229.jpg20200701_080259.jpg
    I have an s10 tail housing for the swap.
    20200701_080320.jpg
    289 almost ready for complete assembly, waiting on valve springs then the heads are off to the machine shop for screw in rocker studs.
    20200701_080315.jpg20200701_080244.jpg
    They have oversized valves which will help the poor old 289 heads a bit. I've ported the exhaust hump out.
    Various other parts ready to go, new cam specd to help the 289 heads, intake, lifters...almost all the goodies (the GF has no idea how much these boxes in the garage are worth).
    20200701_080353 (1).jpg20200701_080418 (1).jpg20200701_080359.jpg
    A manual rack courtesy of johnnybgoode, just needs a bit of paint...
    20200701_080235.jpg

And I really must wash this garage floor!

9. Likes cnutting liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ottawa! Best of luck with you on your build. Like you I did the best I could to get the period correct look. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you.
    Joel.....Petaluma, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Joel.

I have a lot of reading to do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Buddy of mine took the 8.8 housing in for a steam and a coat of paint. I might have painted it a tiny bit better but as long as its clean I'm happy.

20200729_160926.jpg

I'm hoping this weekend I can get the gears changed, new axles in and brakes set and then this can get stored out of the way.

Still need to change the input shaft on the t5, maybe that also if the beer doesn't get in the way!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have been working on swapping the dif gears to 3.55
    I dont have the pinion depth tool so I've had to mock the setup in order to figure out the pinion shim, it's time consuming but time well spent.
    20200811_154422.jpg

I'm 14 days out from kit pickup but unsure they will allow me to cross the border with my truck, I am investigating flying into Boston and renting a truck and trailer.

Do any of you know if any of the international rental companies down there rent trucks with a trailer hitch?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just came upon this thread. Looking forward to following your build. Hopefully you've already received your kit.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vspeeds View Post
    I just came upon this thread. Looking forward to following your build. Hopefully you've already received your kit.
    Hopeful that the border will allow me to pick it up sometime in the new year. I'm not against paying a shipper but for me part of the experience is getting to the factory and so much has changed there since my last kit pickup.

Looks like the 289 is out the door and I'm going to attempt to put together a 347. One of the local cobra guys (johnnybgoode) will be over to ensure my patience is kept in check. He has helped me spend piles of money over the years while offering plenty of hand me down parts and advice.

So I may have to rethink my t5 with mid-shift for the new tkx.

Will have the 347 to build over the cold winter and hopefully get the kit before/at spring. Gives a Canadian time to compile all the parts needed to make a complete kit and get right to work on building

Post Thanks / Like

Where did the time go?

Where did the time go?
    Oh right, lockdown...

So. Updates.

The 289. No. After buying a the cam, lifters, working the heads, etc. I put it all together and while I was cranking it by hand in the garage a noticed a "scratch" in one of the cylinders. That ended up being deep enough to catch a nail, the thing was already bored .030 so, OUT.

The 8.8 rear? While installing the gears the 245 pound gorilla for some reason did not crush the sleeve, instead he pulled all the thread out. I know something is wrong when I'm using 2-4 foot extensions and I'm grunting. I may be 50 but I'm still bench pressing with 120 pound dumbbells. Wait...who is the dumbbell?

Anyway...moving right along, deeper into my wallet.

FFR let my first kit go to another lucky winner and the second attempt is due to be completed on the 5th of June, yet to be confirmed by Nate but the email has been sent. A shipper is organized to get it to this side of the border although the guys ability to communicate isn't everything dreams are made of. I'm scheduled for my second shot of life potion June 11 and if FFR has another delay I may end up making the trip myself. I have a suspicion that the powers of the US government will open up the CAN-US border for July 4th to those that can prove vaccination.

Wishful thinking.

Anyway. When you want to build a conservative 289 the fairer in the house might be able to drive what better to replace a beat-up old 289 than this:

$_1 (1).jpg

A Keith Craft 347

I had a number of bits organized for the 289 build so I didn't have to start entirely over.
    I'm not trying to make unimaginable HP on this so I simply went with the cheapo AFR's. They are the same heads that blueprint is using to get 400ish hp at the fw and that is fine with me. My compression will be on the higher end so I might squeeze one or 2 more or...less.
    I went with the thumper cam. Again, I rather the sound than the ponies.

-->I've done the 408 in the cobra and although having the ability to smoke the tires at 60mph on the highway is fun and all 1. I'm not getting any younger 2. Due to Covid adult XL diapers are hard to come by 3. I'm not smart enough even at this age not to keep my foot out of it.

I'm pretty much at this point right now, awaiting the final few shipments from summit to close this thing up. I'm trying to go for more of a retro look so less sparkle and more old school.

20210527_182955.jpg

I still need to rebuild the 8.8 with 3.55 gears (yet to buy round 2 on those).
    Sent an email to see what stock levels are like on front upper and lowers, need those.

I'm hoping to have this thing on 4 wheels in my garage by August. Maybe I can make a roller out of it before the snow flies if supply shortages don't make that impossible.
    Winters here are cold and long but I keep the garage warm. Maybe read some bodywork threads and get back into it with the bodywork pros.

17. Likes johnnybgoode liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait...what?

Ok, pickup is scheduled for Next Wednesday, December 1st. The stars aligned as Dave posted a video last week with my Aug 2020 pickup front and center the same day the Canadian Gov declared they would drop covid testing for USA trips under 72 hours.

Gordon Levy is making front control arms again, check.
    The supply chain seems to be improving a bit.

Hopefully photos of the car in my garage next week.
    daveand289.png

19. Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    An early Christmas present! Congrats Vic!
    FFR #3870 MK II, Spectra Blue/Arctic White, 1974 414W, 10:1, Eagle 4340 crank and rods, KB Pistons, Ported Performer RPM 2.02 heads & intake, QFT SS-650, Comp XR282HR, Quality Roadsters pan, Crane ignition, TKO600, 3.55 gears, 3 link, SA QA1's, Breeze LCA's, Heim joints & VPM F/R bars, Power steering with Hiedts valve, Power brakes, Fortes bump steer kit, 5 bolt axels, SSBC rear brakes, Oil cooler, Pusher fans, Halibrand Cobra III's with Nitto NT555 G2 245/285/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations!
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats.
    Jack
    289 Roadster complete kit ordered 8/2/21. Delivered 3/14/2022. Chassis #10306. 17"x9" Halibrands, 3.55 IRS, PS, Wilwood brakes, BPE 306 with EFI and close ratio TKX. First start 7/20/2023. First Movement 9/24/2023. First go-kart 9/25/2023.
    Build thread - https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...rida-289-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Car is home. A quick photo outside of the FFR headquarters.
    ontrailer.jpg
    She now sits in the garage on a few castors and some 2x4s for easy mobility while I figure out how to prep the garage. Photos of that to follow.

I'm considering this dash layout from csx 2557. I know it was a USRRC car and I went with the FIA trunk but...I want a glove box...and the fia suitcase bumps.
    Hopefully that's acceptable to most of you.
    06rmusrrccobra.jpg
    I've ordered a 3 3/8 speed, GPS as I did an s10 tailhousing swap on a t5, for now, we will see how that swap works out.
    a 4" tach. Both of the above from speedhut with stewart warner type logos.
    4- 2 5/8 gauges and a 2 1/8 fuel gauge, all SW. One of which is an ammeter which I will likely have for show rather than hooked up.

gauges.png

Awaiting a few goodies from Gord Levy to complete the suspension. I'll start inventory this week and get this underway.

24. Likes cnutting, johnnybgoode, Chainsaw liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Exciting!
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like a good day to swap in the 3.55 gear.

The trials and tribulations of the rear. This isn't my first attempt, a year ago I tried to push a set of yukons into it and stripped the pinion threads. How many foot pounds can a 240 pound gorilla come up with?

This time I've gone with a set of Ford Racing gears and they make it easy, they mark on the pinion how much to shim +- .03. In this case .003 over, so a .033 shim and away to the races.
    Or one hopes.

rear355.jpg

I'm hoping to have Gord Levy's control arms by/around the new year...need rims...
    Anyone have a set of 15" rims they want to give up?

Post Thanks / Like
    That all went together nicely but I've come to realize I have the rear brake caliper brackets for the 11.65" rotor and need the one for the 10.6" as I'm running 15's (And have already purchased the GT calipers and rotors)
    So I sideline buttoning that up until I track down the proper caliper bracket.

Time to call on a neighbor to help get this body off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, all done the build threads, some 2 and 3 times.
    2Fast4U....if you write the book I'll buy a copy.

I'm considering painting the car a solid color and going with the RaceLine digital kit
    https://www.racelinedigital.com/stor...oducts_id=2812

thoughts?

A couple of questions, what is the best way to mount the fuel filler? It appears that the mold changed at some point, Scott's build thread shows the area indented while my body has no specific place built into the body.

Also, is trimming aluminum a thing? I have read in a post by Kleiner that he has never trimmed alum/body other than at the rear.

Body off this week for sure, brake caliper mounting brackets are in the country!

Post Thanks / Like
    Body is off, will build a body buck of sorts this week, currently and likely to remain the over/under on the lift until spring.
    20211226_150506.jpg
    Next up:
    remove the aluminum
    Weld the bracket on the rear
    install rear brakes

Those 3 tasks...I'm hoping that Levy is able to complete the run of upper/lowers so that I can get this car some feet. 15" replica halibrands are on the list but when I did my kit pickup they told me those were deep on the backorder.

Post Thanks / Like
    For those that have more than one build, am I weird for looking forward to clecos?
    20211229_154720.jpg
    the camera makes the garage look slightly busier than it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a great garage setup! Enjoy your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting closer. Gordon's control arms are on the way!

So many parts have been accumulated, once the arms arrive I'll take a round of photos and then the build begins.

I bought the rims from my long ago sold FFR7502. It's odd to pay for things twice but nice to have them back!

My first attempt at printing a glove box:
    20220424_091445.jpg

And now to recreate this glovebox knob:
    dash.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The finished knob is close enough I think. Might give it a polish but looks like a bit of patina as is.

$10 CAD for the tumbler and 30 minutes on the lathe.
    20220428_134509.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Does it seem like I've been at this for years and done nothing?

Today was the second best delivery after my FFR kit, Gordon Levy's Control arms.
    Levy Control Arms.jpg
    Absolutely a thing of beauty! So light. Before the end of the week, I will have a roller.

A few shots of some progress. The dash and glovebox.
    Dash.jpg
    I plan on lucas switches for headlight, hi/lo, fan, and wipers. I believe. No knobs. Will see.
    I also plan on putting a stopwatch under the 5 gauge cluster, see holes in dash. It is from the right timeline and looks cool, IMO. I really like what FFR did with the 289 in the showroom.

Stopwatch.jpg
    my 3d printed glovebox from the back.
    PrintedGlovebox.jpg

I used Alex's glovebox shape but made it bigger, still not as big as I believe the original wasseat2.jpg but closer than Alex's.

I also picked up one of the Ken Miles racing seats.
    seat1.jpg

I have started a bit of wiring and received a great shipment of parts from **********, all the way from Cali or Ontario, patience is the key, the parts will arrive when they can.
    I finally can really get rolling on the build.

Thanks to Gordon for great parts and service and thanks to Taylor at ********** for getting me hard-to-find trinkets at great prices.

35. Likes Chainsaw, Chopper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to attempt a first start tomorrow. All wired up, less a backup light, fluids in, cranks oil pressure.

I put the body on, a serious struggle. I'm running 15-inch tires. What are you guys running for ride height, I have zero clearance body to rubber with 4.5-5" of height.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running about the same ride height and have good fitment on the tires. Do you have all your bulb seal on? Body sitting without any interference with the fiberglass?

Might want to ping Mr. Kleiner...
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    what brand of headers did you go with?
    289 FIA Complete Kit, ordered September 2021, received February 2022
    My plan is to build a tribute to CSX2345 as it raced in Europe in 1964 (with a few personal touches). Follow along as I fulfill a lifetime dream.
    Follow my build #10295 https://www.instagram.com/ffr289fia/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Bohn View Post
    what brand of headers did you go with?
    If memory serves they are just procomps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok...First start and a gocart yesterday.

This is my second FFR, 10 years ago I build a roadster and put a well-built 408 into it.
    In between a had a 68 firebird with a 460.

This 347 with the 289 pipes LOUD. LOUD LOUD. I will have to figure something out, every cop in the city will have seen my drivers license by the end of the summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    LoL, yes they are loud! About 90dB at idle was what Bob Boig and I measured. Not sure if the new owner still supplies 289 pipes, worth a check.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cnutting View Post
    LoL, yes they are loud! About 90dB at idle was what Bob Boig and I measured. Not sure if the new owner still supplies 289 pipes, worth a check.
    I don't see it listed but surely they would build a set. That would be about $1200 CAD pesos. I'm considering attempting to modify them myself.

First, I may swap out the Thumpr cam. I'm too old. Not to make mistakes, which wanting that thumper sound may have been.
    EDIT: maybe not swap the cam, it's not the lump that is killing me, it's the exhaust. I'm going to review my options for a quieter exhaust.
    Last edited by OttawaFFRer; 06-24-2023 at 08:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Quiet pipes are still listed for 289’s on Boigs site for $825.
    https://boigmotorsports.com/product/...-ffr-roadster/

I have also looked at them for my 289 build.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I've ordered Car Chemistry 3 disk inserts and some packing. Will do a before and after test.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious how the Car Chemistry inserts work. I ordered the Dynatech auger inserts that should be delivered today. I'm in the middle of body work so I probably won't get to installing them for a little while.
    Lars
    Novice Build: 289 USRRC Complete Kit #10524, 3rd Gen Coyote, TKX, IRS, 17" Halibrands, Wilwood Brakes, Power Steering

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast