Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 5.0L Coyote Fit in Mk-4, Coupe, Hot Rod?

Post Thanks / Like

5.0L Coyote Fit in Mk-4, Coupe, Hot Rod?

Does the new 5.0L Coyote Engine fit in the Mk4, Coupe, and Hot Rod?

Thanks
    Joel
    Last edited by jetheft; 02-14-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Joel,

We have installed the new 5.0 into our 33 Hot Rod. We have not installed it into our Mk4 or Coupe kits yet. David Borden is currently installing the new 5.0 into his Mk4. He might has some useful information on that install.

Here is what we know:
    The new 5.0 has the same dimensions and engine mounts as a 4.6. It will bolt in to our Mk4 or 33 Hot Rod kits no problem. The headers would have to be custom fabricated as the stock Coyote headers will not work in our cars. Also, you will need a custom oil pan to install the new 5.0 in our Mk4 kit. The stock pan can be used on the 33.
    We had to cut off part of the timing chain cover to clear the frame in the 33. We also had to relocate the oil filter and the alternator.

These are thing you may have to do in the Mk4 and Coupe, but it is still unknown.

Best regards,

Brian Zakrzewski FFR Tech and Sales

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian,
    Thank you for your time.
    Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Joel, here is a link to David's thread on the Roadster forum.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Build-Thread

Brian, good to see you on here!

_Scott
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm also using the Coyote in a MK4. So far, the issues we have are headers, oil pan and oil filter. David is working on a fix for headers, probably using a Coyote-pattern flange with a modified FFR 2-valve 4.6 header. He's got some good photos on his thread. I have been working with Richard Oben and Champ pans, and I expect the first beta pan by early next week. It's basically a Champ 4.6 roadrace pan stretched 3/4" lengthwise. It will use the Coyote gasket/windage tray and a 4.6 pickup. The oil filter is a simple replacement that's about 1.5" shorter than the stock element. Relocation does not appear to be necessary. I'll have a ton of pics up as soon as the pan arrives.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Z View Post
    Joel,

We have installed the new 5.0 into our 33 Hot Rod. We have not installed it into our Mk4 or Coupe kits yet. David Borden is currently installing the new 5.0 into his Mk4. He might has some useful information on that install.

Here is what we know:
    The new 5.0 has the same dimensions and engine mounts as a 4.6. It will bolt in to our Mk4 or 33 Hot Rod kits no problem. The headers would have to be custom fabricated as the stock Coyote headers will not work in our cars. Also, you will need a custom oil pan to install the new 5.0 in our Mk4 kit. The stock pan can be used on the 33.
    We had to cut off part of the timing chain cover to clear the frame in the 33. We also had to relocate the oil filter and the alternator.

These are thing you may have to do in the Mk4 and Coupe, but it is still unknown.

Best regards,

Brian Zakrzewski FFR Tech and Sales
    Brian,
    Where was the alternator relocated to on the 33 build?

Erik

Post Thanks / Like
    The alternator is mounted down low on the passenger side in our Coyote powered Hot Rod. I will see if I can get a good picture of it for you.

Brian @ FFR

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian,
    Thanks for the pic, how long is the brace you fabricated to hold the Alt? Does it use the standard belt still? Also can you take a pic of how much of the timing cover needed to be trimmed off?
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by towman; 08-20-2011 at 03:32 PM.