Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Factory Five-Koni GTM Spy Shots

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Factory Five-Koni GTM Spy Shots

Preview of Factory Five SEMA Car

Factory Five President Dave Smith and customer Gary Cheney have a good laugh before loading the FFR-Koni GTM onto the big rig.

Many of you have followed the progress of Factory Five customer Gary Cheney as he builds his third (YES!) GTM, this one destined for the 2011 SEMA Show. We got a chance to check it out close-up as it is heading down to the studios of Horsepower TV and next weekend’s (October 7th) customer cruise-in at Quaker Steak and Lube near Charlotte (Lowes) Motor Speedway.

The car is powered by a 430 HP LS engine and is mated to a Mendeola 5-Speed transmission. The paint design was done Murray Pfaff at Pfaff Designs near Detroit and there are a slew of sponsor parts that round out a great package and a well built car.

Congratulations Gary on a great job!

Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The warehouse crew gets the GTM ready for Cheney to pick it up last winter.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!!!!!! I bet Koni is excited!! Nice work, as usual, Gary!
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow, that's sweet ride! Can't wait to see it on the track.

Congrats Gary!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome job Gary and on record time too. If mine ends up half as nice as yours I'll be a happy camper.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary, great looking car, congrats on another great build, though I have to say Jim doesn't look all that impressed in the photos...

_Scott
    Last edited by Someday I Suppose; 09-30-2011 at 01:36 PM.
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    When has Jim EVER showed ANY expression in photos?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do the doors open on this car, or do you enter through the window?

Post Thanks / Like
    The doors open. No handle outside, like a coupe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I expected to see a video of Dave doing a few quick bursts of speed and a doughnut or two. Car looks great.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You know I was really skeptical on the hood scoop looks wise. Fine for a track car, but still too much. But I think if you don't paint it a different color it looks very discrete and elegant. Still wouldn't get one on the GTM I'm too poor to afford ;_;

Anyway excellent build, I can't wait to see vids. Does it run a LS3?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a stock LS2 but I may have something in the works for SEMA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has that thing got AWD like your dirt bike
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I actually got rid of the Christini AWD bike, I honestly never thought it was a benefit unless it was real nasty. too heavy and crazy $$$ wise maintenance wise, Ride a FE450 Husaberg nowjumping2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary, okay you make a good point there!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    Are we going to see you on Forza 4 this winter????

-Scott
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that's the way to build a race car. Good luck, Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    The Cheney / Koni GTM in Charlotte!

The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post

Gary Cheney & Jim Schenk
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Surprised you didn't post that you got to drive it. Along with that original cobra.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh Yes! The Rocket Ride.

As Gary and I were standing off to the side watching a couple of really cool cars go at it, he walked up to me and asked whether or not I'd like to drive the Koni GTM. It took about a half a millisecond for my mind to register the question and the other half to get the word YES pronounced.

Gary's GTM is powered by a straight LS2, like mine. So I was really interested to get a feel for how that 400 horse power is going to feel. I was able to take a couple of laps around the back side of the Drag Strip.

Just as I thought, the LS2 is PLENTY of engine for the GTM. It really kicks you in the butt as it runs through the power-band. Or maybe that was the race seat... I'm at least 1 or 2 sizes larger than that seat, but I managed to squeeze into it. Flipped the toggle switch, hit the starter button, and listened to it come to life. There's nothing like being in the driver's seat when that engine fires up. It's a mean sound sitting right behind you; especially when you drop the hammer.

Gary has built a very nice car, that will certainly represent KONI and Factory Five well at SEMA.

I was also fortunate enough to have been asked by Jim Maxwell, whether or not I would like to drive his 427 Cobra. Part of me said that I should graciously decline, just as a couple of others had. But at the same time, the other part reminded me that an opportunity like this may never come again... So I told Jim that I would love to as long as he would come along. I made a point to take it easy in this car. We drove down the length of the speedway. When we turned around, he looked at me and said "Go ahead and punch it, and see what it has"... So I did. This car sure lives up to the legend of the 427 Cobra. Lots and Lots and Lots or power. When we pulled up to where the rest of the guys were standing, it began to sink in just what a rare opportunity I had just been given.

Jim mentioned that he'd really like to see the GTM when it's done. I said "See it?, You'll be driving it if you'd like to". So he took me up on the offer, and at some point soon, I'll be making the trip up to Greensboro to do my best to return the favor.

Thank you Gary, and Jim for allowing me the opportunity to drive two such awesome cars! I can't tell you both how much I appreciated it!

Also: Gary, let me know when you and Tatianna would like to come down. You're welcomed any time.
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-10-2011 at 04:27 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Ahhh Yes! The Rocket Ride.

As Gary and I were standing off to the side watching a couple of really cool cars go at it, he walked up to me and asked whether or not I'd like to drive the Koni GTM. It took about a half a millisecond for my mind to register the question and the other half to get the word YES pronounced.

Gary's GTM is powered by a straight LS2, like mine. So I was really interested to get a feel for how that 400 horse power is going to feel. I was able to take a couple of laps around the back side of the Drag Strip.

Just as I thought, the LS2 is PLENTY of engine for the GTM. It really kicks you in the butt as it runs through the power-band. Or maybe that was the race seat... I'm at least 1 or 2 sizes larger than that seat, but I managed to squeeze into it. Flipped the toggle switch, hit the starter button, and listened to it come to life. There's nothing like being in the driver's seat when that engine fires up. It's a mean sound sitting right behind you; especially when you drop the hammer.

Gary has built a very nice car, that will certainly represent KONI and Factory Five well at SEMA.

I was also fortunate enough to have been asked by Jim Maxwell, whether or not I would like to drive his 427 Cobra. Part of me said that I should graciously decline, just as a couple of others had. But at the same time, the other part reminded me that an opportunity like this may never come again... So I told Jim that I would love to as long as he would come along. I made a point to take it easy in this car. We drove down the length of the speedway. When we turned around, he looked at me and said "Go ahead and punch it, and see what it has"... So I did. This car sure lives up to the legend of the 427 Cobra. Lots and Lots and Lots or power. When we pulled up to where the rest of the guys were standing, it began to sink in just what a rare opportunity I has just been given.

Jim mentioned that he'd really like to see the GTM when it's done. I said "See it?, You'll be driving it if you'd like to". So he took me up on the offer, and at some point soon, I'll be making the trip up to Greensboro to do my best to return the favor.

Thank you Gary, and Jim for allowing me the opportunity to drive two such awesome cars! I can't tell you both how much I appreciated it!

Also: Gary, let me know when you and Tatianna would like to come down. You're welcomed any time.
    Very cool story and pictures Stig. Thanks for sharing.

Gary, any chance you can manage/muscle to get an invite to the OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational that is held after SEMA? It would be nice to see a GTM in that challenge especially yours.

http://www.optimainvitational.com/
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    the GTM is not allowed to compete. Check the rules.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stig, very cool story, Jim Maxwell did know that your not the real Stig right???

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Someday I Suppose View Post
    Stig, very cool story, Jim Maxwell did know that your not the real Stig right???
    I'm Not ???!!!!!????? Where's Clarkson? I've been putting up with his crap for no reason...
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Got to See Gary and his car last weekend. It is awesome. Gary did a fantastic job. Good work, and Lee from Koni liked it too!
    Thanks
    Jeff