Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sun Visor Issues, Feel like a complete idiot.

Post Thanks / Like

Sun Visor Issues, Feel like a complete idiot.

I have previously cracked my windshield by using the supplied screws and Installation Instruction provided by FFR. Discussions underway with Jason as to how best resolve the issue.

Since I had already cracked my windshield, I thought I would continue to mock-up the rest of the installation. The windshield has holes in it for the bracket mount. The visor has holes pre-drilled in it to mount the hinge assembly. Shouldn't these holes match up with each other? See photos attached. There is no way I can bend anything to get it to fit.

What am I doing wrong? Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Ralph
    I have a MKI with visors but at the last open house I picked up a replacement set and they were the same. On my visors the holes are 9" apart and on my windshield my inside screw hole to inside screw hole is 8 1/2". Even though the visors are straight and the windshield is curved my clamps still grab almost all of the bracket.
    Jim
    Last edited by JimmyZ; 09-27-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is a 3.1. I just checked and can get maybe 1/2 of each set-screw to contact the bracket. Only holding force would be laterally. Not something I want to live with. I guess my solution would be to drill two extra holes in the visor further apart. That would be hokey, and not something I think FFR would be proud of.
    Ralph
    Last edited by rponfick; 09-30-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Simple enough to make some ~1/2" longer mounting tabs. Offset the two mounting holes to the far left on the LH mount and to the right on the other.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Why should I have to make brackets that fit? Isn't that what I already bought and paid for? I have made so many "custom" modifications already that it is getting really old. And I am getting really old. I understand it is a Kit Car, but this is getting ridiculous.

Just my rant. Ralph
    Last edited by rponfick; 09-28-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My MKII visors have their holes at 9-inch spacing, and the windshield mounting brackets align properly with the visor holes. The only problem: I got my kit in 2004 along with the visors. Since then, something must have changed, but this is such a fundamental misalignment issue that FF must have a way of dealing with it for its customers. I suggest you bring the issue doirectly to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    My advice: don't give up trying to reach them. They always came across for me when I needed their assistance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rponfick View Post
    Paging David Smith. The pleasure of your response is requested.

Ralph
    That's not the way to contact them. Call them and ask for Brian or Jason.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain!!! In my case, they swapped the hardware from the sun visors with the wind wings and it took hours to figure that all out. In addition, the holes in my windshield are tapped for a #4 screw, whereas the factory supplied some #6 screws for the purpose of installing the mounting brackets... go to Home Depot and get some screws and cut them to length with a Dremel..

See my blog -- http://factory5roadster.wordpress.co...-front-bumper/

HTH

Jon
    Jonathan Weiswasser
    MkIV Roadster in progress
    http://factory5roadster.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonweisw View Post
    the holes in my windshield are tapped for a #4 screw, whereas the factory supplied some #6 screws for the purpose of installing the mounting brackets...
    I've had my hands on a few of these; I think you'll find that they truly are #6 screws however you can be decieved into thinking they are #4 or metric because of the chrome plating. It's kind of a backwards move but the supplier plates the brass after the holes are tapped. CAREFULLY run a #6-32 bottom tap in to cut the chrome out then use the supplied screws.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff-

I am 100% sure on my end that the holes were tapped for a #4 screw. I tried very hard (to the point of almost stripping out one of the holes) to get the supplied #6 screws to fit and there was no way that was going to happen without some serious damage one way or the other. In the end, the #4's fit the way a properly seated screw should, and the sun visors are on securely. FYI - I took delivery of my Mkiv in November, 2010. A call to the factory when I was working on this yielded the fact that the windshield supplier had been varying the hole locations and sizes..

Jon
    Jonathan Weiswasser
    MkIV Roadster in progress
    http://factory5roadster.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonweisw View Post
    I took delivery of my Mkiv in November, 2010. A call to the factory when I was working on this yielded the fact that the windshield supplier had been varying the hole locations and sizes..Jon
    Wonderful.. If that is the case FFR should have two different visors available, to suit whatever frame a builder may end up with, dependent on the hole spacing. This should also be reflected in their parts listings, so those adding them at a later date can order the correct ones for their particular windshield..

It sounds as if the 4 vs 6 screw hole size, has varied depending on the particular windshield frame as well.
    Again the proper size screws should be supplied with the visor to suit..

In my case, I had to do as Jeff did..tap the frame holes to remove the chrome so the #6 fit properly.(MKIII 3.1 Nov 2008)

Post Thanks / Like
    Oldguy668, I've been patiently waiting. After a phone call and three emails, what do you suggest?

Ralph.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Even though this is the electronic age and the 21st century, emails don't always do the job. I have gotten best results by always phoning FFR first. Brian and Jason are pretty good about advising even on some of the craziest things I have asked them about over the years. They send pics and instructions over email when available (even if you lost them before). In this case, I agree with you. You shouldn't have to fabricate anthing!!

Good luck, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046