Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: GTM Starter Motor

Post Thanks / Like

GTM Starter Motor

In the process of listing my GTM for sale I've been going through my notes and figured I would share what I learned on starter motors. Some of this is scattered in other threads. My GTM never failed to start, but cranking was weak from the beginning. LS376 + G96. The stock starter was the Bosch 996 604 107 00 (superseded by the 996 604 107 02). This is a 1.7 kW 10 tooth motor that sells for about $275 - $375.

First I installed a dedicated heavy duty ground cable back to the battery. Helped a little, but still less than ideal.

The search then started for a more powerful option. IMI sells a couple models for the G50; IMI-170-001 (1.4 kW, $810) and IMI-170-002 (2.0 kW). In Dec 2018, I was told these would be replaced with a newer model and I could not find either of these in stock. They may have a solution today. I went with a WOS Performance LMS679 (2kW Denso, $475). Thanks for Lori at Kennedy Engineered Products for confirming compatibility. The change has been like night and day. It starts instantly now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes dlud, RR46 liked this post