Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Geoff's 33 Hot Rod Build - #0037

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking very good.
    Hey, I went to the Wood Brothers shop the other night.. They had Glen Woods back seat modified all restored.
    I sure would like to see the coupe that Sonny Hutchins drove for them.. Remember that one
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raceral View Post
    Looking very good.
    Hey, I went to the Wood Brothers shop the other night.. They had Glen Woods back seat modified all restored.
    I sure would like to see the coupe that Sonny Hutchins drove for them.. Remember that one
    Nope, never heard of it.

I remember this car with Sonny behind the wheel too.

My Dad drove at Langley Speedway too (Hampton, VA). He never won a race but was never in the best equipment. I sure miss those days and wish more than anything I owned a camera back then, the internet has very little from that time.

Last edited by geoffav; 06-25-2011 at 12:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's nice to get back in the shop after a week on the road. My next trip is right around the corner and I might just spend time organizing parts and stuff. It looks like I might be moving way up North and taking a new job when the house sells. I'll probably make some extra trips up to Huntsville, AL with the family to make sure we all can make the move work. I think my current job has run it's course, the people I work for are doing things I just can't support. I hope we can get the body parts to the point that the painter can do his thing.

Back to work on the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the layout for my fuel filler through the body hole, no issue. After that I did the cowl access panels and it seems like the body might be less than symmetrical in that area. I'll do some measuring tomorrow when the light is better and I'm not so tired. I won't have a hood most of the time so it's important to get them even.

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent the weekend sorting things out so it would be easy to start some projects on the HR. That lead me to order a few parts and do some planning. I fixed some nagging problems on the rearend tonight and then started building my ECU.

How can you tell a rookie like me has started on a MegaSquirt build??? Look at the index finger on his left hand. I seem to burn it once early in the game and then I'm ok. I don't normally handle a soldering iron so for some reason I insist on putting a shiny blister on my finger almost right away.

This will be the third MS box I've built but for some reason I just don't have much confidence with the process. This one is going to be a full MS3X ECU and shouldn't be any bigger challenge to build. The MS3 boards come ready to plug in so that shouldn't be an issue. All I got done tonight was parts sorting and soldering on the connectors for the main board. I'm going to need a better/bigger bench light and have to remember to wear my new glasses. Man this stuff is small.

Post Thanks / Like
    First thing to happen this evening was my shop light fell apart. :sad:

Well that gave me an excuse to purchase a new lighted magnaviewer. This thing kicks butt. I went back and fixed the few crappy connections from last night and then only made it through one bag of resistors. It was a mistake not building this box as soon as it arrived. I had built 2 MS2 back then for others and it would have been so easy to stick another one together. I'm having to bone up on soldering and tonight I made a mistake that was new for me. I started on the first bag of resistors and installed R1, it went too well because I pulled out the next same value resistor and stuck it in R2. Oooops, it should have gone in the R6 position. Then I got to bone up on my desoldering technique.

I think after a sloppy start it should go better in the days ahead. I'll post some pics as the board grows but this is not really that hard. I just hope the dang thing works when I'm done.

This is how the night ended

Post Thanks / Like
    The instructions are on the interthingy so you need to have the computer close by.

There are some aids you can print out but they update the manuals so often it would be a mistake to print them out.

It's hard to believe that the plastic container has everything you need to build an ECU. You can see some of the other items in the service kart. There's a stimulator, relay box, wiring harnesses, sensors, EDIS8, and the MS3 and 3X expansion boards. This should come together in the next week or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys. I just changed job duties and I'm closing out my BSA work. As a result, I spent a few hours digging out the hot rod over the last few days and should be able to continue my project. Time will tell. Updates to follow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Radiator hose parts arrived this morning. Packaged well and looking good. I had to do some minor deburring on the inside of the thermostat housing. Pics below:

Post Thanks / Like
    You will need hose, hose ends, and fittings to make this work. Also a SBC thermostat and o-ring. I don't have the thermostat and o-ring yet. There are many options for hose, I'm using the push-loc style with Jegs PL hose. The oem temp sensor will screw right into the taller block outlet, it will work on either side. A 3/8npt tap is available for cooling mod return or second temp sensor, mine will be plugged. At present I plan to run my cooling mod hose down to the bottom radiator hose/pipe. If it looks ugly or I run out of room I have the tap on the thermostat to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see that you are back to the project Geoff.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    Glad to see that you are back to the project Geoff.
    Doug
    Thx, I'm getting in a few minutes a day and sometimes a couple of hours. I had a problem today putting the body on to do some fitting. I never did get it to fit right on the passenger side near the firewall. We ran out of time and I took it off to try another day. Obviously I need to look at the stuff done since it was last on. It's been fun seeing some progress.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123