Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Finished the differential yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Finished the differential yesterday.

In preparation for my kit arriving, we built my differential yesterday. It has a 31-spline Eaton Truetrac, Ford Racing 3.08 ring and pinion, and Strange Engineering 31-spline axles with c-clip eliminators. Some before and after:

Last edited by 1fastsedan; 10-04-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=1fastsedan;35261]In preparation for my kit arriving, we built my differential yesterday. It has a 31-spline Eaton Truetrac, Ford Racing 3.08 ring and pinion, and Strange Engineering 31-spline axles with c-clip eliminators. Some before and after

308 seems kinda high, not saying it won't pull it just wondering if you plan on some top speed bonzai runs, 1 mile track maybe??
    BTW you don't sign your posts, and I know you aren't scotty Q but we gotta call you something? 1FSD seems kinda plain
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    We chose the 3:08 due to the car's light weight, the high torque of the HEMI, tire size and reducing RPMS at cruising speeds. I have the same engine in a 4,400 lb car with 3:06 Getrag rear and it lights the 11" wide tires at will, so I think it will be plenty quick off the line.

Sorry about not listing my name, guess I never noticed that it was common to do so around here.
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastsedan View Post
    We chose the 3:08 due to the car's light weight, the high torque of the HEMI, tire size and reducing RPMS at cruising speeds. I have the same engine in a 4,400 lb car with 3:06 Getrag rear and it lights the 11" wide tires at will, so I think it will be plenty quick off the line.

Sorry about not listing my name, guess I never noticed that it was common to do so around here.
    Adam
    Adam
    I hear ya on the 4400 tire smoker my MSRT8 is/does that and runs a Buck70 thus my addy on the other boards
    The tires will be a little shorter on the 33 but isn't the OD on your tranny like 0.69 have you projected RPM's at 70 yet?
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    Adam
    I hear ya on the 4400 tire smoker my MSRT8 is/does that and runs a Buck70 thus my addy on the other boards
    The tires will be a little shorter on the 33 but isn't the OD on your tranny like 0.69 have you projected RPM's at 70 yet?
    Dale
    I can't seem to find the paper, but I did the math several months ago when picking the transmission and the stall speed for the converter. From what I remember, it came out to 1950 RPMS at 75 mph. Perfect for highway cruising out here.

By the way, love the MSRT8. I have the 300C SRT8...just couldn't bring myself to buy a wagon without any kids.
    Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a way to attach an Excel spreadsheet file? What I have is a calculator for rpms/speed with different tire sizes and all your transmission ratios (you enter). But it's not apparent how to attach it.

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastsedan View Post
    I can't seem to find the paper, but I did the math several months ago when picking the transmission and the stall speed for the converter. From what I remember, it came out to 1950 RPMS at 75 mph. Perfect for highway cruising out here.

By the way, love the MSRT8. I have the 300C SRT8...just couldn't bring myself to buy a wagon without any kids.
    Adam
    Adam
    I just ran it through an online calculator with 27" tires 65 =1720 70 = 1850 so your 75 number looks about right.
    We don't get to cruise much over 70 around here so it would be lugging in our area.
    The 6.1 is the first OEM that I own that seems to need some RPM's to get up on the cam and the intake is a higher RPM design as well.
    Have you thought about using the 5.7 manifold or maybe the new patriot manifold to help the port velocity in that RPM range?

Funny about the Maggie, no kids here either, they are grown and gone early i couldn't bring myself to buy the 300 without any old folks to haul around ">)
    Dale
    Lurkin and Learnin here too